• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rapelling on Oplux vs Rescue Tech (tefeulburger)

backstrap19

Has anyone tried to rappel of both of these ropes? Any difference? Pros? Cons? I'm considering switching to one of these two, and I know they are very similar, but was looking for some real world experience with them. Thanks! (I'm using a safeguard)

I have both but haven’t had a chance to use the resc tech while wet. The Oplux absorbs water and gives a jumpy ride down when wet but is great when it’s dry outside. Supposedly the resc tech won’t absorb water like the Oplux but I can’t verify the ride yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't used rescue tech. Oplux works fine - some warn of it being less than smooth when wet. I suspect those complaints are from people who don't really load up their brake hand.

If you try to modulate speed using the handle on the safeguard you are likely in for a rough, jerky ride. If you control your descent with brake hand tension you will be much smoother.

Haven't used rescue tech. Oplux works fine - some warn of it being less than smooth when wet. I suspect those complaints are from people who don't really load up their brake hand.

If you try to modulate speed using the handle on the safeguard you are likely in for a rough, jerky ride. If you control your descent with brake hand tension you will be much smoother.

I know what I’m doing. Oplux absorbs water and gives me a jerky ride regardless of what I do with my brake hand.

They both suck rappelling on just get some CIV… :smilingimp:

Has anyone tried to rappel of both of these ropes? Any difference? Pros? Cons? I'm considering switching to one of these two, and I know they are very similar, but was looking for some real world experience with them. Thanks! (I'm using a safeguard)
Can only say I’ve figured 8’d TefRC for a season with no complaints… sometimes I wish I was using a slightly larger diameter rope, but not for functionality - because it’s fine for my purposes, just psychological, the stuff is skinny…. but it works.

I like the size and packability of the 8mm ropes and they work great when dry (still want to try rescue tech when wet) but lately I’ve been using 9mm canyon elite if I know it will be wet.

I don't have any experience with it but what I have read on EWO the rescue tech doesn't take in water. Following to see if anyone has used when wet for conformation.

The Oplux and RescTech are made from the same materials, there may be a difference if one is treated,or coated and the other isn’t.

The Oplux and RescTech are made from the same materials, there may be a difference if one is treated,or coated and the other isn’t.

It’s my understanding that resc tech has a slightly different core.

They are all polypropylene, but of different diameters. The top is from C-IV, next is PMI DuraShield, Oplux on bottom. The RescTech has a white inner core, makes it harder to extract when splicing.
28E97B4B-FB76-48FC-814A-F3A25CF2C967.jpeg

My Resc Tech is buttery smooth with a Safeguard. Very manageable and controlled movements even when hanging with full body weight.
I don't know where everyone is getting the herky-jerkies from?

i can add some anecdotal evidence- i have resc tech, have rapelled on it a decent amount, once when wet was slightly faster with the same braking hand pressure-not dangerously so, though. the rope itself did not feel like it was soaking up water, just on the surface. This was with a tubular ATC and autoblock as brake/ third hand. will be trying it with safeguard to see if i like that better soon.

My Resc Tech is buttery smooth with a Safeguard. Very manageable and controlled movements even when hanging with full body weight.
I don't know where everyone is getting the herky-jerkies from?

When it’s wet??? That’s when the jerky-jerkies show up with Oplux. Is wet resc tech smooth when used with the safeguard?

Thanks for all of the replies so far! This is the kind of information I was looking for.

I keep a two wrap prusik cord on my right hip when I use the Safeguard. Pull on the safeguard handle and play out line with the prusik on the tag end.
Even when just using my hand to control it I've never had an issue. Damp or dry. I never tried it soaking wet.

I keep a two wrap prusik cord on my right hip when I use the Safeguard. Pull on the safeguard handle and play out line with the prusik on the tag end.
Even when just using my hand to control it I've never had an issue. Damp or dry. I never tried it soaking wet.
this is my plan as well, i've been using sterling autoblock on my resc teh with an ATC. when i test the afeguard i'll swap it for the ATC, but leaving the autoblock on for now. technically may be violating safeguard instructions by using a backup that could theoretically get pulled into the device and jam it/ cause it to jam in an open failure mode but with the autoblock on my lineman loop, it's next to impossible to get it tangled up. If i get omfortable with it i may remove the autoblock and go solo safeguard like most people do. need to do some more reading and practicing before my feet leave the ground much with it though.

OP, not sure where you're at, but i'm in Maryland jut outside DC, if you're local you can come test my resc tech /safeguard or ATC combo out (dry) if you'd like. if you're not there's probably someone else somewhat close to you that would let you try things out.

Back