• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappel Rope As Tether Or Separate Tether

Hellir

Just wanted to throw my opinion in the mix. After one-sticking this past season, I have decided next season I will ascend with my rappel rope aong with the Madrock Safeguard and use it as my tether. I remember having conversations with others about using a separate tether for safety sake, but after doing both this season, mainly using a separate tether, I see no reason for not using your rappel line with the Madrock Safeguard (if you can find one) as your tether. It is actually a lot easier to climb with as well imo.

Just wanted to throw this out there if there is someone contemplating this issue. I’ve learned that the ounces start turning into pounds and it starts weighing down the saddle.

The Madrock Safeguard is strong and durable enough to act as both ascender and descender.

What are y’all’s thoughts on the issue?

*I will add, I will probably keep a spare tether in the bag JUST IN CASE something were to happen. I know I just mentioned weight being an issue, but it can’t hurt to have a backup. I may trade weight by decreasing my rappel rope length. I have 40ft and 100% do not need that much rope.*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I SRT with the Safeguard and remain attached to my climb line with it but use another 8 foot 9mm tether on a short bridge attached to my lineman loops and a duck. Too darn old to bounce.

I’ve tried both, still not sure which way I like best. Don’t have a madrock so I’m changing from ropeman to ATC to rappel. I’m also climbing straight trees and need to switch that up a little and try some more challenging ones that’ll help conceal me.

I'm of the thought that using your rappel rope is the best. If the worst happens or your stick drops you can easily rappel down and back up is as simple as srt climbing back to position and resuming, and not having to perform shifty maneuvers shifting your weight from one rope to another

Man I am an ounce counter too, so it KILLED me to decide to stick with a separate tether. I've probably one sticked on well over 50 hunts now and I just can't get comfortable with the slack in my line. So I went with a dynamic climbing rope (Edelrid Boa) and made a 8 foot tether. If I do have 2-3 foot of slack and my stick falls I will at least cut my fall factor in half going from 8-9 or so KN to 4 KN. Normal Max survivable fall is 12 KN by the way. Study was done on paratroopers.

Philsanchez this has been on my mind for some time.
My feeling is that as far as dynamic rope goes, the length or rope is so short that there is minimal elongation.

If you can expound on this I'm listening.

Thanks!

Still waiting on a Mad Rock, if one doesn't come in I'll be using a separate tether also unless someone has a better idea.

Still waiting on a Mad Rock, if one doesn't come in I'll be using a separate tether also unless someone has a better idea.
Yes, just use a friction hitch like a michoacan or JRB acsender hitch and a figure 8! There's an ascend mode and a rappel mode. Or a friction hitch and then use a munter with a carabiner on the way down. A MR safeguard is so unnecessary.

For those still searching and waiting for a Madrock, I highly recommend to keep searching and don’t give up or decide to go another route. What I mean is, the Madrock is worth the search and wait. I had the same issue last year and I finally got one. It’s worth the search and investment. I think it’s the best device out on the market right now. There’s a reason why they’re hard to find. Everyone is grabbing one. It’s a testament to its quality and functionality. Keep searching, I promise you will find one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philsanchez this has been on my mind for some time.
My feeling is that as far as dynamic rope goes, the length or rope is so short that there is minimal elongation.

If you can expound on this I'm listening.

Thanks!

Firstly I am not an expert climber or arborist or industrial fall scientist; just a humble construction worker and passionate hunter.

I use this fall calculator site. No affiliation but I have double checked it's number against another site and they appear to be accurate calculations.

You're right our tethers are super minimal compared to a climbers 50-100 ft long rope. But the dynamic nature of the rope pretty much cuts your fall factor in half. A 4 foot fall on a static rope could easily break a bone at close to 9 NM of force (I mean you're not far off the max KN of what the military decided a parartrooper could survive at 12 kn). That same 4 foot fall on a dynamic rope should produce only 4.5 NM which mostly just sucks, but you should walk away just fine.

Edit: to include I also use a dynamic prussic on my dynamic tether, not a Madrock. So the prussic works with the rest of the tether system giving my additional length to stretch.

I've got a Mad Roc on order with optic planet since December, just waiting for one to come in.

I've got a Mad Roc on order with optic planet since December, just waiting for one to come in.
Fyi opticplanet has a bad rep for really slow back order fulfillment. Every time they pop up selling a weapon optic on Reddit there's a big disclaimer about them not actually having stock.
I'd keep your eye open for another source while waiting.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Depends on the length of the dynamic rope. And for saddle hunting, the length between you and the anchor is usually pretty short.
You also have the length of your tether that's wrapping around the tree, so if I fall on 2-3 feet of tether, add in another 2 feet or so for the tree diameter, that's 5 five feet at 30% elongation vs a static rope at 3% elongation. I think there is still a lot of gain there for an extra half pound of rope to carry into the woods. I like @Brocky idea above.

Back