• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling Equipment

mattpsu1

SH Member
Another question here for this newbie. Since I’ve decided I will be giving one sticking a try, I have been looking into rappelling equipment. I see DanO has pretty much all the stuff I’d need but I think I’d prefer a Belay device so I have that figured out. Decided on one of the Black Diamonds. One question I have is 13” or 19” for my auto block? What do you guys prefer? And I was looking into the Sterling Hollowblock. Any other ideas out there? Looking at the Sterling HTP 9mm rope as well. Thanks,
Matt

Another question here for this newbie. Since I’ve decided I will be giving one sticking a try, I have been looking into rappelling equipment. I see DanO has pretty much all the stuff I’d need but I think I’d prefer a Belay device so I have that figured out. Decided on one of the Black Diamonds. One question I have is 13” or 19” for my auto block? What do you guys prefer? And I was looking into the Sterling Hollowblock. Any other ideas out there? Looking at the Sterling HTP 9mm rope as well. Thanks,
Matt
I would go with the shorter on if just repelling. The 19 is a little long.
f131efb4f6ca25739d41c4476cb3f5f4.jpg
22d5a63be1f1651c66b60ff4ba2eec0b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thank you, I appreciate it. I was thinking the 13” one but wanted to make sure before I purchased

Thank you, I appreciate it. I was thinking the 13” one but wanted to make sure before I purchased
Anyone using the Beal Jammys? Is the Sterling hollow block considered better?

Is there a big difference between the 9mm and 10mm as far as bulkiness and is one more user friendly for a beginner?

Is there a big difference between the 9mm and 10mm as far as bulkiness and is one more user friendly for a beginner?
I have only use hollow block on 8mm rope and 13mm rope. That 8mm oplux sure is nice. I am thinking that if I just repel down, I might go 7.7mm double rope on an atc. No pull down cord needed then, but I am just thinking out loud. That would take 70 feet of rope. I will test out the jammies now as I have one here.

06ad4e5a22628fe898b52ac1ff674991.jpg

Last edited:
I like the klemheist better than the autoblock on my rope. This is tied into a autoblock configuration.
bfcad19302f65cb63b63782920d141b0.jpg
49643a7bbfd341bd697fe54920212665.jpg

Definitely shorter for rappelling - the top of the autoblock/klemheist must be kept away from the rappel device to avoid unintentional rope slippage. I just started too - using the Grivel Figure 8 with Oplux, working well on test runs so far.

Definitely shorter for rappelling - the top of the autoblock/klemheist must be kept away from the rappel device to avoid unintentional rope slippage. I just started too - using the Grivel Figure 8 with Oplux, working well on test runs so far.
Anyone using same rope to rappel as tether? This has my interest piqued. Eliminate a dedicated tether since already have the rope to rappel. Makes sense. I’m sure there are drawbacks. Just thinking. Thanks,
Matt

Anyone using same rope to rappel as tether? This has my interest piqued. Eliminate a dedicated tether since already have the rope to rappel. Makes sense. I’m sure there are drawbacks. Just thinking. Thanks,
Matt
Yeah there's a number of people on here doing that (I just set mine up). Pick up a delta link to avoid having to pull all 30'+ of rope through the bight.

Yeah there's a number of people on here doing that (I just set mine up). Pick up a delta link to avoid having to pull all 30'+ of rope through the bight.
Already got my delta link and 30 feet of Sterling C-IV, sterling hollow block and biners from DanO and a Diamond belay. Climbed and rappelled about 10 times yesterday. Love it. I’d need to replace my Ropeman 1 for a Kong Duck and am contemplating that as we speak. Do you coil your rope in a water bottle pouch and then hook it to your side and then just feed as you rapell? Thanks,
Matt

I just tried using that method last week. Removed the velcro from the lid of the pouch for it to feed nicer. You need to be careful of where the pouch is placed, because it could rub against you it feeds out.

I just tried using that method last week. Removed the velcro from the lid of the pouch for it to feed nicer. You need to be careful of where the pouch is placed, because it could rub against you it feeds out.
Do you find it cumbersome or confining with the extra rope while moving around the tree to get in position for a shot?

I use that 19 in hollowblock and regret not getting the 13in

Matt

Related topic: DanO used to have an ATC that was only for single rope but it has been discontinued. Is there any problems with using the normal “double rope” ATC with only one rope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt
Yup. But i climb with a madrock safeguard backed up by an autoblock, that way i can ascend and rappel down a lil to move my stick and i dont got to worry bout slack.... and i also use a linesman with a prusik as a backup to my backups when climbing.... climbing wth the blackdiamond atc would essentially be the same as using a kong duck where you would introduce slack in your tether when going to move your stick... just know the risks your taking....

Related topic: DanO used to have an ATC that was only for single rope but it has been discontinued. Is there any problems with using the normal “double rope” ATC with only one rope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black Diamond makes a single rope belay device called the Sport for like less than $15. No problem using the double with one rope if that’s all you can find but there are singles out there.

Black Diamond makes a single rope belay device called the Sport for like less than $15. No problem using the double with one rope if that’s all you can find but there are singles out there.
If you are using 8mm rope, Black Diamond's stuff is not rated for 8mm as singles.

(Sorry just read he was using 9mm)

I am 3 days into rapelling. I had a few Summit tethers laying around and not enough rope to make an autoblock. So, I used a Prusick knot attached to my lineman's loop.
20200809_090206.jpg20200809_090144.jpg

This actually worked so good I may stick with it! Amazed how smooth my descent was!!

Last edited:
Back