• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling kit

poorcharlie

Where is a good place to start to get the equipment needed to rappel. I’ve seen the kit at ewo but is there any other places to look? I have zero experience with rappelling so links to good instructional videos for newbies would be very helpful.

These are the videos I watched and the setup I chose to use. I did a Google search for the gear needed. The hardest to find was the rope sold by the foot.

After practicing at ground level, this is the 1st time I rappelled from a significant height. Works really well! Also to note, I used the Sterling hollowblock for my autoblock as opposed to the blue water prussic mentioned in the video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Research your belay device first. Figure out if you want to use a gri gri, figure 8 ( most folks try this first and hate it, not me though) and figure out what rope is in spec for that. I would probably go with the 9mm static rope from ewo because its in spec for many things and packs up pretty small.

8mm oplux is great, but not many mechanical devices in spec for it. I believe @bj139 reppels and he is one of the safest folks on this forum so it might be worth it to search his posts. Also use the search function, unless its new gear it has been talked to death.

Good luck, practice before you hunt, daylight and dark.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’m looking hard at the kit sold by ewo but not 100% sure I need or even want the safeguard vs an atc. But was thinking if I ever got into srt I might need the safeguard anyway. I did learn that an auto block is a good idea to add to the safeguard setup.

Rope.com sells all sort of climbing rope by the foot.

you can get into 45 feet of good rope for about 80 bucks, and a madrock safeguard for under 100 also.

Thanks. I’m looking hard at the kit sold by ewo but not 100% sure I need or even want the safeguard vs an atc. But was thinking if I ever got into srt I might need the safeguard anyway. I did learn that an auto block is a good idea to add to the safeguard setup.

I started by using an ATC and autoblock - it worked fine and I got down the tree safely. This meant that I used my normal short tether with ropeman during my hunt and then switched to my rap rope setup when it was time to get down. I did not like having to fiddle around with deploying my rap gear and switching from my tether when I just wanted to get down and get out of there. So I went ahead and bought the safeguard so I can use my rap rope as my tether and not have to change anything out when it’s time to descend. Just something for you to consider when making your choice.

As to the last part of your post - where did see that an autoblock is a good idea to use with a safeguard? We’ve had a number of discussions about this on here since Madrock clearly says not to do that. I am undecided so I’m curious about your info and its source.

I used to recommend the Beal Birdie mostly for the cost. It used to be on sale for $55 shipped. I think the news is out and they don't have to reduce the price to sell it anymore. Do you plan to climb sticks and rappel down? Will you use your rappel rope as your tether while climbing?
I have a few videos here of my SRT/ rappelling experience.

I started by using an ATC and autoblock - it worked fine and I got down the tree safely. This meant that I used my normal short tether with ropeman during my hunt and then switched to my rap rope setup when it was time to get down. I did not like having to fiddle around with deploying my rap gear and switching from my tether when I just wanted to get down and get out of there. So I went ahead and bought the safeguard so I can use my rap rope as my tether and not have to change anything out when it’s time to descend. Just something for you to consider when making your choice.

As to the last part of your post - where did see that an autoblock is a good idea to use with a safeguard? We’ve had a number of discussions about this on here since Madrock clearly says not to do that. I am undecided so I’m curious about your info and its source.

I read it somewhere on the site.

I used to recommend the Beal Birdie mostly for the cost. It used to be on sale for $55 shipped. I think the news is out and they don't have to reduce the price to sell it anymore. Do you plan to climb sticks and rappel down? Will you use your rappel rope as your tether while climbing?
I have a few videos here of my SRT/ rappelling experience.

I am thinking about give one sticking a shot. So I suppose using the rappel as the tether would be the correct application?

I am thinking about give one sticking a shot. So I suppose using the rappel as the tether would be the correct application?
I made a video last autumn of me climbing an old electric pole. I normally climb SRT so I had to relearn how to one stick but it worked. I was getting close to top of the pole, there were nails up there and I became concerned about the soundness of the pole at height so I didn't go higher. I realized during the climb that I needed my linemans rope to go no handed so I could move tether and stick up the pole.

Where is a good place to start to get the equipment needed to rappel. I’ve seen the kit at ewo but is there any other places to look? I have zero experience with rappelling so links to good instructional videos for newbies would be very helpful.

The super munter hitch is a really cheap way to get into rappelling and it's a good hitch to know anyways. There are various animations and videos showing how to do it and this video shows it in action rappelling:

On the tag/brake end of the rope, I use an autoblock, attached via a carabiner to one lineman loop (depending on left or right handed) and appropriately sized (diameter/length) for the rope I'm rappelling on so you don't have to rely on wrapping around your leg or pulling up on the rope, tying off, etc. to brake for removing steps and platforms.

The cost is: the rope you want to use, 1 or 2 carabiners depending on your use of autoblock and the autoblock.

Obviously only try this method if you feel safe to do so and you've practiced the hitch/descent at a safe height you've determined won't cause injury!

Another question: when I get the rope that will be used for tether/rappelling, what kind of knot needs to be tied to make the eye for the girth hitch?

Another question: when I get the rope that will be used for tether/rappelling, what kind of knot needs to be tied to make the eye for the girth hitch?
A lot of people are going to recommend getting a delta link or oval link and using a knot like a figure 8 on a bight or a scaffold knot. Tie one of those knots to the link. Then you can unscrew the link and slip just a portion if the rope through it, rather than pulling your entire rope thru an eye when girth hitching it to the tree. Since you're rappelling, you'll be working with at least 30'+ of rope, which is a pain to pull thru the eye.

Just make sure to girth hitch to a tree at ground level and hang to weight those knots down on the link before climbing to hunting height.

I made a video last autumn of me climbing an old electric pole. I normally climb SRT so I had to relearn how to one stick but it worked. I was getting close to top of the pole, there were nails up there and I became concerned about the soundness of the pole at height so I didn't go higher. I realized during the climb that I needed my linemans rope to go no handed so I could move tether and stick up the pole.
I figured you would have a good reccomend or two.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Some of my favorites.

In YT search for one stick climbing method & sort from newest to oldest.
There's a lot of good ones that simplify everything.

The super munter hitch is a really cheap way to get into rappelling and it's a good hitch to know anyways. There are various animations and videos showing how to do it and this video shows it in action rappelling:

On the tag/brake end of the rope, I use an autoblock, attached via a carabiner to one lineman loop (depending on left or right handed) and appropriately sized (diameter/length) for the rope I'm rappelling on so you don't have to rely on wrapping around your leg or pulling up on the rope, tying off, etc. to brake for removing steps and platforms.

The cost is: the rope you want to use, 1 or 2 carabiners depending on your use of autoblock and the autoblock.

Obviously only try this method if you feel safe to do so and you've practiced the hitch/descent at a safe height you've determined won't cause injury!
If u add a prusik above ur munter it acts as a break.... No need to leg wrap
Screenshot_20201212-105147_(1).png

If u add a prusik above ur munter it acts as a break.... No need to leg wrap
View attachment 43357
Agree!! You’ve got to have some type of backup while using the super minter hitch. If he let go of the rope for any reason he’d be hitting the ground. It’ll take 20 sec to install a prusik and safely go hands free at any point

Agree!! You’ve got to have some type of backup while using the super minter hitch. If he let go of the rope for any reason he’d be hitting the ground. It’ll take 20 sec to install a prusik and safely go hands free at any point
Isn't required...I wrapped the leg for a break before I started using my brain.

Back