• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling Rope

Mason Davis

What kind of rope does everyone use for single stick climbing and rappelling? Has anyone purchased any from Amazon before?

id agree with buying from a trusted vendor... also, you cant get custom lengths on amazon... my tether/repel line and my linemans are canyon elite 9mm from EWO.. i ordered 43 feet and had them provide one length of 35 and one of 8 feet... also ordered my prussic cord from them... 6mm trc...

I use 8mm Samson Ultra- Tech for rappel. I really wouldnt really trust any climbing rope from Amazon. Climbing rope can be pretty expensive bit there are places you can find it pretty cheap when you buy it by the foot. Foe example Easter Woods Outdoors sells multiple kinds of rappel rope starting T 0.89 cents per foot up to 2.25 per foot. It just depends on what you want.

Last edited:
I got my ropes from Amazon, but I also got my Hawk saddle from them. I’ve got 3 ropes, 11mm, 8 mm with sewn ends(stick mod x 2 and my eventual rappelling rope) and some 6mm to make Prusiks. All of them are statics and the 8mm came with carabiners and steel supports in the sewn ends……I remove those. All this is new to me, but I have been very satisfied. I’m also pretty sure if there were a rope failure from any of these products, it’d hit this forum and any other one that had anything to with safety harnesses and climbing with the quickness.

I got my ropes from Amazon, but I also got my Hawk saddle from them. I’ve got 3 ropes, 11mm, 8 mm with sewn ends(stick mod x 2 and my eventual rappelling rope) and some 6mm to make Prusiks. All of them are statics and the 8mm came with carabiners and steel supports in the sewn ends……I remove those. All this is new to me, but I have been very satisfied. I’m also pretty sure if there were a rope failure from any of these products, it’d hit this forum and any other one that had anything to with safety harnesses and climbing with the quickness.

Please reconsider rappelling on an 8mm rope made in some unknown factory in China, with unknown quality standards. Your life and well-being are dependent on that rope. Also, MOST 6mm cords are not really strong enough to meet climbing standards, even when used in a basket configuration.

Please reconsider rappelling on an 8mm rope made in some unknown factory in China, with unknown quality standards. Your life and well-being are dependent on that rope. Also, MOST 6mm cords are not really strong enough to meet climbing standards, even when used in a basket configuration.
I certainly appreciate the knowledge and advice so thank you. Believe me I’m taking heed. But not everything they offer is unknown China junk…..even though the Hawk is amongst them. Every rope I’ve gotten has been rated or at least it’s advertised as such. I got both of my ropeman 1s and my belay from them…..pretty sure the rm’s are genuine. They offer black diamond products etc… I just like shopping online and always check eBay and Amazon before I purchase elsewhere. I have been rappelling from atop 1 36” length stick with a 1 step aider so my feet are only 6 or 7’ off the ground. It was really fun and pretty smooth. I used the 8mm 3 or 4 times today and will try the 11 mm next session. The 6mm is too stiff to bite the 8 so I used the hawk Prussik rope….it already got a bubble so it’s in the trash. The 6 bites the 11 great but the 11mm is really thick in The belay.
Can y’all list a few brand names to look for? I may buy off REI or EWO, but maybe the brands are offered elsewhere.

All I knew was I was looking for rated static rope for my first purchase. I am certainly open for suggestions and would like the perfect rappelling rope……for me it would be my tether too.
Mason I certainly ain’t trying to hijack the thread, but this is definitely a subject that I am dealing with too…….hope to be helpful

The standards around here for 8mm are Sterling Oplux and Teufelberger Rescue Tech. For 6mm prusic cord, Sterling TRC--or 5.5mm Beal Jammy. Many, (me included) are using 9mm rope for rapelling--it handles better on a rappel. Choices here include Maxim Canyon Elite, Sterling C-IV, and Sterling HTP. None of these are cheap, but all are proven ropes from known, reputable manufacturers.

I've used Sterling HTP 9mm, Sterling Oplux 8mm and Sterling Canyon C-IV 9mm. All are great ropes with different characteristics but I personally prefer the Oplux. The Teufelberger Rescue tech 8mm will be my next rope to try and has a higher strength rating than the now hard to find Oplux.

As others have said, stay away from "cheap" and "bargain priced" Amazon with your life support system gear. I don't care what you buy from there, it's all counterfeit no matter how genuine it seems or is packaged. Repeat after me " Eastern Woods Outdoors..."

Mason, I think we are getting the general consensus. Thanks so much everyone……..seriously!

Ok, so I made my first purchase from EWO. I’ll swap out everything with this stuff……they were out of stock on a few items, but had great options. I forgot the first time but ordered the Kevlar 5.5 for prussik too. No doubt my confidence level will go up and this rope is supposed to be a little softer than the oplux.
DB5E17E5-0BCE-4414-9C78-831FB4AB64A9.png

BTW-no one told me that Eastern Woods Outdoors streams with Amazon and PayPal so shopping there was just as easy…….I thought I’d throw that out there for the other newbies.

Ok, so I made my first purchase from EWO. I’ll swap out everything with this stuff……they were out of stock on a few items, but had great options. I forgot the first time but ordered the Kevlar 5.5 for prussik too. No doubt my confidence level will go up and this rope is supposed to be a little softer than the oplux.
View attachment 52141
Pre-covid your order would have already shipped and been at your doorstep the next day. Some of us thought DanO to be the owner of UPS/FedEx the way he got orders to us so quickly.

Back