• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rappelling

rutjr

I use the LWHC for climbing and someone here suggested rappelling down and I like the idea because it would be a second way down if something were to happen but have no idea how to or what I need. Any advice or good videos?
Thanks

atc 2 binners climb rope an auto block

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Autoblock above or below the atc? If it locks up is it easy to release and continue descent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i am going to send pics this is just to show do not climb with paracord ...this is my pull rope pic just to show....attach with prustic to climb rope an binner to linesman loop an squezze the prustic to go down let go an stop...i have a ropeman on my line not a atc ...
7cf784ed3c33f16c6a43eb50c0e0d4c5.jpg

i am going to send pics this is just to show do not climb with paracord ...this is my pull rope pic just to show....attach with prustic to climb rope an binner to linesman loop an squezze the prustic to go down let go an stop...i have a ropeman on my line not a atc ...
7cf784ed3c33f16c6a43eb50c0e0d4c5.jpg

Gotcha. I was interested in the stopping bc I’m wanting to retrieve some steps on the way down. Would you recommend letting my autoblock catch or something else? Using 9mm HTP and ther sterling hollow that DanO sells with an atc.

i would stop on that rig no problem at all

Roger that. So on my way down the block let’s me pause long enough to remove a step then how tough to resume descent? Is it just a matter of pushing the block down to disengage and continue? I guess I’m thinking of my prusik that has to be unweighted the break the friction hold enough to slide again.

Here’s a series of pics of how I do it.

Tethered in....

b50549e0b19291126cfd00af682530d2.jpg

Rappel rope attached to tree above the tether....

3faa0e956881b235af484c25e2693b68.jpg

Run rappel line thru ATC (ensuring the rope goes around the carabiner) and clip autoblock carabiner into the lineman’s loop. Once you’ve checked to ensure the proper setup transfer your weight from the tether to the rappel setup.....

24ee8b468c5449b770f38e52eec6cce2.jpg

Now you should be looking like this.....

fa2ac55022315c9ecbab17aaa2544c83.jpg

Attach your pull down rope to the rappel rope....

25cd10b7111c53c39789215948d730bc.jpg

Place your left hand on the rope above your ATC and your right hand on the autoblock prussic. Applying pressure to the top of the prussic will loosen it and will allow you to start going down. If you’re not moving then you have the tag end pulled straight down and it’s locking in the ATC (which is how it’s designed to work) and you’ll need to pull the rope away from your body a bit to descend.

Practice with this at ground level until you get a feel for how the set up reacts. Once you have a feel for it go up one stick high and practice from there.

When you’re down, pull on the pull down rope to retrieve your rappel rope....

26019bb994e1472657b59800229e8cf7.jpg

f8a2593e28e24a7952bef52c8ed25d32.jpg

atc 2 binners climb rope an auto block

This is all you need. Keep it safe and simple. If your set up ensures no contact between your autoblock and ATC, I’d recommend the autoblock below and connected to a lineman’s loop. If not, it can work above.

540934867103229b3f1c67866b6a205c.jpg

I ordered rappelling equipment the other day from Easern woods outdoors. I got 40' OpLux rope, and 1 Kong Chuy Tactical and got them today. I went out and played with everything this afternoon. I only have an 18" bridge and used a prusic for the friction Hitch on my LB loop. It worked but it was too close to the belay device. Looking now I probably should try the auto block. I'll check that out tomorrow. So far I like it!

Only thing better than rappelling is putting an arrow in a deer

Tethered in....

Run rappel line thru ATC (ensuring the rope goes around the carabiner) and clip autoblock carabiner into the lineman’s loop. Once you’ve checked to ensure the proper setup transfer your weight from the tether to the rappel setup.....

Place your left hand on the rope above your ATC and your right hand on the autoblock prussic. Applying pressure to the top of the prussic will loosen it and will allow you to start going down. If you’re not moving then you have the tag end pulled straight down and it’s locking in the ATC (which is how it’s designed to work) and you’ll need to pull the rope away from your body a bit to descend.

Practice with this at ground level until you get a feel for how the set up reacts. Once you have a feel for it go up one stick high and practice from there.

I do some similar stuff but use a one 30' rope as my tether and rappel line. I also carry a second piece of rope that can act as either a lineman belt or tether as needed but it's a back up.

The reason I prefer to climb (single stick) using my 30' rappel rope is for simplicity. At the top I just make a slipknot loop in the rope and connect that to my harness.

I haven't tried it yet but I picked up a petzl reverso (an ATC guide will do the same) and it can be used in autoblock mode from what I've seen.

I use a RCH and then transfer my weight to a home made saddle. What I'm trying to get to work is a system where I don't have to do anything significan to transition from climbing mode to hunting to rappel and which will let me SRT up and down the rope. Of course the simplest is a prusik and I've rappelled down with a prusik a few times but on occasion it was just to hard to get it to move.

I've also considered a GriGri but I'm hoping that the Reverso does what I want.

I picked up a petzl reverso which, like a guide ATC will autoblock in the correct mode. I haven't tried it yet but from what I've seen online I

I still carry a LB, tether and a 26’ rappel rope. That may well change, but my LB and tether are only 14oz including the Oplux, carabiner and prussic (that’s total weight, they’re only 7oz each) so they don’t even get noticed. The reason I don’t use the rappel line for a tether is that I like a short prussic set up to match my low tether height that I like. That setup doesn’t make it easy to transition between tether mode and rappel mode (I don’t run a second bridge to rappel).

Having the extra lines makes it easy to go around limbs while staying connected. Also, one of the areas I hunt is a swampy area with a lot of willows. The willows refuse to grow straight and a lot of them are multiple trunked. Gravity always wins so you can’t always hang comfortably where you want to so I’ll tie off to a second trunk and connect to my LB loop with one of my extra lines. This holds me very comfortably in a set position.

I do some similar stuff but use a one 30' rope as my tether and rappel line. I also carry a second piece of rope that can act as either a lineman belt or tether as needed but it's a back up.

The reason I prefer to climb (single stick) using my 30' rappel rope is for simplicity. At the top I just make a slipknot loop in the rope and connect that to my harness.

I haven't tried it yet but I picked up a petzl reverso (an ATC guide will do the same) and it can be used in autoblock mode from what I've seen.

I use a RCH and then transfer my weight to a home made saddle. What I'm trying to get to work is a system where I don't have to do anything significan to transition from climbing mode to hunting to rappel and which will let me SRT up and down the rope. Of course the simplest is a prusik and I've rappelled down with a prusik a few times but on occasion it was just to hard to get it to move.

I've also considered a GriGri but I'm hoping that the Reverso does what I want.

I picked up a petzl reverso which, like a guide ATC will autoblock in the correct mode. I haven't tried it yet but from what I've seen online I

Yeah, I like that idea. I want to set up a tree with 550 cord pull up my rappell line and use it for climbing with my LWHC. I ordered a Kong duck from @DanO for this purpose.

This is all you need. Keep it safe and simple. If your set up ensures no contact between your autoblock and ATC, I’d recommend the autoblock below and connected to a lineman’s loop. If not, it can work above.

540934867103229b3f1c67866b6a205c.jpg

Good pic of the set up

Tethered in....

Thanks for the tutorial

I really want to try this.
It looks fun and safer for descending it the dark... but is it worth getting and carry even more gear and rope?
So I guess I am asking is for safety or really the fun factor?

Back