• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ratchet placement for ROS question?

CharlieTN

Had my second saddle hunt a couple of days ago. It was also my first with the Silent Approach ROS. I do believe I’m going to love them.

For this sit the ratchet was directly in front of me on the tree (Think the 6’oclock position on the tree) but it seemed to be in the way of my feet. Felt like I was constantly hitting it with my heels so it got me to wondering where everyone positions the ratchet/buckle on their ROS.

I will be upgrading to the OCB strap from doublesteps when I have the funds simply for the less bulk and weight.

Thanks.

I run Squirrel steps with the cam buckle from Double Step. They work awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll run 5 squirrel steps on an OCB buckle. I'll start with my first step directly up against the buckle at the 6 o'clock position. Step one is my home position. Then I'll evenly space the rest of my steps. Counting from step 1 at the 6 o'clock position and going clockwise around the tree I'll end up resting my feet on steps 2 and 5 with step 1 directly beneath me. Steps 3 and 4 are on the opposite side of the tree from me.

This frees me up to rest on steps 1 and 5 (or 1 and 2) when I want to change pressures. So far I haven't noticed any interference with the OCB buckle and my feet. Perhaps with a ratchet there's a larger profile to contend with at which point it might be beneficial to reposition the ratchet to between steps 3 and 4 (12 o'clock on the tree)?

EDIT: I also wanted to note that @Nutterbuster has a lot of good info on his channel regarding ROS (warning: may be harmful to your wallet)

Last edited:
I was wondering if anyone ever had one of those OCB buckles brake. I put a good amount of pressure when camping it over. I’m pretty impressed with that little buckle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an OCB buckle and I put the buckle typically around the 1 or 2o’clock position
I had a bit of time to play with the setup this afternoon and moved the ratchet around to the 2 o’clock position. Much better. With it being my weakside I found myself not hitting it as much as I moved around the tree but I was also able to reach The ratchet easily to lock it down tight.

The ratchet that comes on the Silent Approach ROS is a beast and very bulky. I’m pretty sure the OCB will be considerably more compact.

I always put the ratchet on the 12o'clock side and have never had a problem!! I love my Silent Approach ROS with the original ratchet I can get it super tight!!!!

I always put the ratchet on the 12o'clock side and have never had a problem!! I love my Silent Approach ROS with the original ratchet I can get it super tight!!!!
I’ll try it on this position. The ratchet is big and heavy but you can certainly wrench down on it and get the strap super tight.

Im not a ROS guy, but I think any advice on the placement of the ratchet or buckle, should take into consideration the typical side of the tree a guy climbs and also weak side vs strong side for right handers or left handers.
I prefer to have as little clutter as possible toward my strong side because that is the side of the tree that I tend to travel more often.
Gotta have a system for every aspect of all phases of this stuff.

Back