• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ravin R26

NoobToSaddles

I finally swapped over to saddle hunting this year and after hunting with a cheap and very inconsistent Carbon Express crossbow for the last 5+ years I picked up an R26. This thing is amazing to shoot from the saddle compared to the Carbon Express. Small, compact and hits like a freight train. I took my first deer from the saddle with the R26 and a week later shot a trash panda at 20 yards. The sticker shock is terrible but I am was beyond excited when I picked it up. Thanks to this forum it eased all my worries about saddle hunting with a crossbow. You all rock. (Yes I know its a button buck but its still meat)

IMG_1761.jpgIMG_1799.jpg

Last edited:
I want to get an R26 soon. Are you using the stock scope? How do you like it?
My original intention was to buy the R20 and after playing with both side by side in the store I ultimately went with the R26. 1/2 of it was the overall length and feel of the R26 (way more balanced in the hand and very easy to stabilize compared to the R20) and the other half was actually the scope itself. The R20 scope had audible clicks between brightness settings and the R26 is smooth with no audible clicks between power settings. When I sighted it in I set it to 400fps and actually never had to adjust it. The glass on it is pretty clean and crisp although not as clean and crisp as something like a Vortex rifle scope. I doubt I will change the scope on it anytime soon. The 20-100 yard markings are spot on out to 60 yards which is the furthest I have shot it so far. The only thing I do not like about it is the actual 20-100 yard circles but that is because I am accustom to Christmas tree reticles from long range rifle shooting.

My original intention was to buy the R20 and after playing with both side by side in the store I ultimately went with the R26. 1/2 of it was the overall length and feel of the R26 (way more balanced in the hand and very easy to stabilize compared to the R20) and the other half was actually the scope itself. The R20 scope had audible clicks between brightness settings and the R26 is smooth with no audible clicks between power settings. When I sighted it in I set it to 400fps and actually never had to adjust it. The glass on it is pretty clean and crisp although not as clean and crisp as something like a Vortex rifle scope. I doubt I will change the scope on it anytime soon. The 20-100 yard markings are spot on out to 60 yards which is the furthest I have shot it so far. The only thing I do not like about it is the actual 20-100 yard circles but that is because I am accustom to Christmas tree reticles from long range rifle shooting.

Those circles on the scope reticle are the thing that makes me consider swapping it out for a Hawke Crossbow Scope, but you hate to do that after dropping almost $2k on a crossbow. I love how compact and lightweight the R26 is. I think the newest R29 is nice, but I like the compactness of the R26 more.

I bit the bullet and picked up an R26 yesterday after discovering a cracked limb on my Killer Instinct Ripper 415. Totally bummed me out. The R26 fits me perfectly and I love it. It is quite a bit louder than my KI Ripper, but I guess that goes with the territory. I did swap out the Ravin scope for the Hawke XB 30 compact that I had bought for my KI Ripper. I like the reticle on the XB 30 much better than the Ravin scope, but the Ravin scope has slightly better glass and the illumination in the reticle is better.

I bit the bullet and picked up an R26 yesterday after discovering a cracked limb on my Killer Instinct Ripper 415. Totally bummed me out. The R26 fits me perfectly and I love it. It is quite a bit louder than my KI Ripper, but I guess that goes with the territory. I did swap out the Ravin scope for the Hawke XB 30 compact that I had bought for my KI Ripper. I like the reticle on the XB 30 much better than the Ravin scope, but the Ravin scope has slightly better glass and the illumination in the reticle is better.
Did you get it sighted in yet? How do you like the trigger compared to the KI? I will tell you I have yet to shoot a bow that has such a close resemblance to a rifle trigger like the Ravin does.

Yes, I got it sighted in on the same day I got it because I was super pumped. It was impressively accurate with the factory bolts. I even shot out to 100 yards, simply because I could. The XB30 yardage marks were spot on, even at the 5-yard increments. I have the scope set at around 405 fps. The trigger is probably the best part of the crossbow. I didn't measure it, but I think it's breaking at around 2.5 pounds because I have a rifle that has a similar pull weight on the trigger. It is worlds better than any of the triggers I have felt on my previous crossbows. The only negative I can think of is how hard you have to push the arrow onto the bowstring in order to deactivate the anti-dry fire mechanism. With a field point, it's not so bad, but with a broadhead, it's a little difficult.

How are you liking the lighted nocks on your arrows? Does the extinguisher gripper-thing work well?

I found that if you’re gripping the arrows about 4” back from the broadhead it snaps in quite easy. I actually like how secure it is when it’s locked into the string especially since you know it’s not going to drop out.

I had a couple issues with the lighted nocks. The first one cracked the arrow and the second one ended up coming apart but customer service was super easy to deal with and they sent me two replacements extremely fast. The extinguisher tool from lumanock is the ticket. I tried with a regular arrow puller at first and it wasn’t as easy as the actual lumanock tool. It fits perfect on the quiver too

Love my R26. Small and powerful. Went with the Hawke sight too. Got my first deer with it 3 weeks ago. Be out later this week too.

I had checked out the r29 and the r26 with the stock scope and I found that when I dialed in the adjuster ring to get a clear sight of the yardages I could not focus on the target. I was in a Cabelas so I as trying to focus on stuffed animals and socks. The store clerk also said he had the same experience with the stock scope. I have no eye problems and use many scopes on my guns.

Have any of you had the same experience? Does the Hawke scope have this same problem or is it clear on the yardages and the target?
Thanks for input.

I have the Hawke scope on mine. Definite upgrade. Clear on yard marks and your target. Green/red lit too.

I have a R20, looked at the R26 but wanted the 430FPS....then the R29 came out. I call the R29 the “Goldie Locks” version. The R20 is a little too long, the R26 a little to short, and the R29 is juuuusssst right!

Back