• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Really good price on Ultra-Tech

phatkaw

SH Member

I just got mine today..Screenshot_20210709-222646_Gallery.jpg

I just got mine today..View attachment 49232
That is what I use and where I got mine. It is pretty stiff stuff. I have a season of use with it and it is just now starting to break in.

What are you using to rapel with that 5/16" rope? I have some I bought used and my grigr+ will hold it but I have to pretension it before it will grab that small rope. Not sure I trust that enough to hunt with.

What are you using to rapel with that 5/16" rope? I have some I bought used and my grigr+ will hold it but I have to pretension it before it will grab that small rope. Not sure I trust that enough to hunt with.
5/16" is essentially the same as 8mm. I use a black diamond figure 8 in the rescue config with an autoblock. I also use it as a tether and linemans. It's strong stuff, just look at the tensile strength. I use beal cord for my hitches. Looks like its a out of spec for your device.

1626720538251.png

Dano sells this as well in a different color but it is a little more expensive ($1.28 vs $1.69 currently). This would be comparable in size and rating to rescue tech and oplux.

5/16" is essentially the same as 8mm. I use a black diamond figure 8 in the rescue config with an autoblock. I also use it as a tether and linemans. It's strong stuff, just look at the tensile strength. I use beal cord for my hitches. I don't know what size rope a grigri is rated for. Dano sells this as well in a different color but it is a little more expensive ($1.28 vs $1.69 currently). This would be comparable in size and rating to rescue tech and oplux.

Thanks. That link is what I have

I had a 30 footer of it before and LOVED it! It was only 30' long though, not long enough for me 'cause I like to climb high...
I sent it to a member in SC to 'try-out' rappelling... It turns out he likes it too.

Anyways, I saw this green striped stuff and had to have it!
It's soo pretty that I ain't taking it outside to get dirty. It's my new 'center piece' on the table... lol

Can someone educate me on what is special about this rope? I used the 7/16” KM III all last year. It weighs a couple more pounds per 100 feet, but otherwise seems the same. It also stays in spec for my Ropeman 1.

I’m just curious, especially since this seems like a good deal. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nuthin' special. Just really nice.

Super strong, light, very packable, feels 'good to the touch'...

Gotcha, thanks! I’ve been using a SRT and no steps to get to my hunting height. I’m assuming this ultra tech is probably better suited for rappelling when using sticks to ascend? Are any of y’all doing the SRT style with this rope?

I use it in a madrock safeguard. Out of spec, as am I, but it worked fine. I tested it in an ATC+Hollowblock and it worked there too.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Out of all the ropes I got it's my favorite! :hearteyes:
Did I already ask what you like about it some much?

for me it seems pretty stiff. It also gets all twisty when I rappel down. For me at 210 lbs straight through the figure 8 is not enough friction for me. I’ll either run it through twice in the rescue config or add an extra wrap to my friction hitch. I’d rather more friction be on the 8 then on the hitch. I might also try different hitch cord, I currently use a hollow lock. It doesn’t have enough grip to hold me in the autoblock but does well enough with the prussic. This might not be an issue when I’m only rappelling but when I want to stop to take my ROS off I want it to hold. This might not matter if I try locking it out the phatkaw way.
I also used it for my lineman’s and tether last year with Beal cord and it worked fine no problem I just didn’t love the feel. I think I would like a larger diameter rope to work with if that makes sense. I’m not hating, this is what I have and I’m not replacing it at this time.

I use it for my linesman belt due to its stiffness and color. I haven't found it the best (for me) for other uses.

Well, that's weird. I don't think it's stiff at all.
I mean it's not like Oplux but it sure isn't like brand new C-IV either...
I wouldn't pick it for a Linesman rope either. But that's just ME.

Lol, maybe ropes are like saddles? They all fit everyone differently.

Did I already ask what you like about it some much?

for me it seems pretty stiff. It also gets all twisty when I rappel down. For me at 210 lbs straight through the figure 8 is not enough friction for me. I’ll either run it through twice in the rescue config or add an extra wrap to my friction hitch. I’d rather more friction be on the 8 then on the hitch. I might also try different hitch cord, I currently use a hollow lock. It doesn’t have enough grip to hold me in the autoblock but does well enough with the prussic. This might not be an issue when I’m only rappelling but when I want to stop to take my ROS off I want it to hold. This might not matter if I try locking it out the phatkaw way.
I also used it for my lineman’s and tether last year with Beal cord and it worked fine no problem I just didn’t love the feel. I think I would like a larger diameter rope to work with if that makes sense. I’m not hating, this is what I have and I’m not replacing it at this time.
There is 10mm UltraTech
8B78B164-E435-449C-A1BC-0CB901CC8855.jpg

Gotcha, thanks! I’ve been using a SRT and no steps to get to my hunting height. I’m assuming this ultra tech is probably better suited for rappelling when using sticks to ascend? Are any of y’all doing the SRT style with this rope?

@MNFarmHunter might have some first hand experience with SRT that might steer you away from the smaller ropes.
I have a good feeling about his advice.

@phatkaw, thanks for the vote of confidence.
@johnfajitas, that depends on what you're looking to accomplish overall.

Generally speaking, the smaller the rope, the less forgiving your mistakes are. Conversely, the larger the rope, the less packable it is and weighs more.

The smaller the rope, the easier it is to pull up and over a tree limb as I find it doesn't hang up as much. It's also much lighter, packs into a smaller space and being more flexible, easier to manipulate. The drawbacks are that it can be harder to climb since you don't have as much rope to grip with your free hand, your mechanical ascender choices are more limited as are your mechanical descenders and your hitch selections, namely accessory cord diameter needs to be more closely matched. There are ways to overcome these drawbacks but you do need to be more selective.

Larger diameter ropes are just about opposite. If I had no concerns with weigh, userability once at hunting height or packability, I'd have 11mm rope without question. It's the easiest to climb and has the most compatible accessories. The drawbacks have already been mentioned, namely what to do with it once at height and carrying it in. Again, these too can be overcome.

9-10mm seems to be the sweet spot in balancing all of this out overall. If I had to walk miles and climb tall trees, I'd opt for 8mm like Resc Tech or Ultra Tech and understand my equipment limitations. My 50' of Resc Tech packs smaller and is lighter than my 40' of C-IV but the C-IV is more forgiving to my climbing style. Chiefly, I am fully confident in climbing the C-IV blindfolded (or at least in the dark) doing alot by feel. The Resc Tech requires that I pay more attention to my equipment and the flow of the rope through that equipment. Certainly not a deal breaker but since I plan on climbing/rappelling in the dark, it is a consideration.

My advice to someone such starting out would be to buy 10mm HTP and practice in your yard with as many different techniques as you're able. Once you decide on what your climbing, hunting and rappelling style is, decide then if you can/need to reduce the diameter and weight.

Back