• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Recon Safety Question

iamcorey

Have a recon. I’ve removed the belt and leg straps. Using a bungee belt to hold it up, so now it’s essentially a belt less sling.

I understand assessing personal risk tolerance, but trying to imagine what the physics would be if I were to slip while climbing. I feel pretty confident that while tethered I’m good.

Any thoughts as to whether adding the stock belt back to the sling would improve the scenario of falling while climbing sticks with the linemans belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key is knowing its always in proper position in case you fall. Id have a belt/buckle. If I had a recon or did a diy of it, I'd sew a waist belt to top loop.

It was hard for me to come to terms with not using anything but since the mods keep it situated I know it’s not going to go anywhere.

Not to distract from the original topic, but if there is a video or thread about adding a raptor or similar style belt I’d be interested. I don’t have a sewing machine...

I haven't tried it, so this is just a thought experiment.

Supposing no leg straps, if you were to fall when climbing using sticks and just a linemans belt, I would expect the the bungee cord would expand and the sling would open fully when your weight was applied to it.

The stock belt is obviously not elastic. However, would it still hold given the shock force of your weight in a fall? I don't know. The ends of the stock belt that go into the plates are plastic so I wouldn't expect them to not break if subjected to significant force.

There also is no general consensus that a linemans belt alone would necessarily stop you from falling regardless of the saddle.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Supposing no leg straps, if you were to fall when climbing using sticks and just a linemans belt, I would expect the the bungee cord would expand and the sling would open fully when your weight was applied to it.

The stock belt is obviously not elastic. However, would it still hold given the shock force of your weight in a fall? I don't know. The ends of the stock belt that go into the plates are plastic so I wouldn't expect them to not break if subjected to significant force.

There also is no general consensus that a linemans belt alone would necessarily stop you from falling regardless of the saddle.

a lineman’s belt is designed to give you two points of contact (your hips), so that you can maintain 3 point climbing while working hands free. It is NOT designed to arrest or restrain a fall. To believe otherwise can kill you.

During a fall, wouldn't all force go to the attachment, meaning the bridge or linemans loops? If that is true, then the Recon belt system (or a bungee) wouldn't really do much. The the bridge, or LB will cinch tight on your lower body. Any risk is that the entire sling could slip up around the torso. Using the leg straps insures the sling stays put.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

a lineman’s belt is designed to give you two points of contact (your hips), so that you can maintain 3 point climbing while working hands free. It is NOT designed to arrest or restrain a fall. To believe otherwise can kill you.
I agree. I don't/won't climb with just a linemans belt. However, I'm sure plenty of people do.

No way is it as safe without a belt as it is with a belt... same with the leg straps.

Imagine you are passed out, is it possible for you to fall out of the saddle?

Your waist belt should be tight enough that it cannot go below your hips so that you can't fall out if you are inverted. If you ever climb with a backpack on, inversion is a likely outcome of a fall.

Leg straps prevent your saddle from slipping up under your arms and breaking your ribs in a fall.

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Have a recon. I’ve removed the belt and leg straps. Using a bungee belt to hold it up, so now it’s essentially a belt less sling.

I understand assessing personal risk tolerance, but trying to imagine what the physics would be if I were to slip while climbing. I feel pretty confident that while tethered I’m good.

Any thoughts as to whether adding the stock belt back to the sling would improve the scenario of falling while climbing sticks with the linemans belt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought a longer piece of webbing and used the tag ends that run through the side plates for my waist belt. Simple easy and still safe.

Attachments

• 24A76D9A-4C05-4B51-988B-0E705FAA3054.jpeg
    24A76D9A-4C05-4B51-988B-0E705FAA3054.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 84
During a fall, wouldn't all force go to the attachment, meaning the bridge or linemans loops? If that is true, then the Recon belt system (or a bungee) wouldn't really do much. The the bridge, or LB will cinch tight on your lower body. Any risk is that the entire sling could slip up around the torso. Using the leg straps insures the sling stays put.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I'm not sure. There's a lot of variables. I could see force going to the linemans loops, but after the initial fall whether or not you slip out of the sling could vary.

Not sure but I have never heard of anybody dying from a fall while climbing into their stand while wearing a linemans belt. Usually it is someone not wearing anything at all while climbing or stepping onto a treestand/platform. Ain't saying it hasn't happened, just iv'e never heard of it happening. Might get injured badly but killed?

I actually put the stock leg loops back on just to try em bc I was having the same issue and much to my surprise, its actually pretty comfortable. More comfortable than paracord leg loops imo and definitely more stable while climbing rope. Looking back, I dont believe I ever used them before I pulled em off. I also kind of prefer the stock belt but I'm finally getting around to making an amsteel bridge so I'm undecided on which way I'll go. I wont be suprised one bit if I end up using it exactly as it came.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I looped paracord through the mole loops and added a belt. The belt makes the Recon hang lower while keeping it in place. I use a small bungie as well, but all it does it keep things from sliding.

Back