• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Releases

What release do you prefer?

• Glove

Votes: 10 33.3%
  • Tab

Votes: 14 46.7%
  • Thumb

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Bare

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

gcr0003

SH Member
I’m currently shooting a nice 3 finger leather glove. I hear a lot of recommendations for shooting tabs. What is a good quality shooting tab that you would suggest for split finger shooting?

Bateman tabs hard to beat, if u shooting split might opt for one with a finger spacer

nothing wrong with a glove tho, only bad thing about a glove is they can wear out fast and then ur breaking in a new one

if u can get a tab to do what u what 2/3 years it will last

Cut your own tab, they're super easy to make and they'll be custom fit to your hand plus you can experiment with different materials. When I hunt I just bare finger the string because I hate fumbling around with a glove or tab.

I've always shot a tab. Around 1990 I was told that tabs cut from Cordovan leather were the best so I switched from a hair tab to cordovan and thats what I've used ever since. They wear like iron and get even smoother with use. The one I'm using now has thousands of shots on it. I don't think its possible to wear one out.

One thing I like better about a tab is they work better with a cold weather glove. I can slip a tab over the middle finger of my wool glove. How do you guys use a (shooting) glove when its cold out?

One thing I like better about a tab is they work better with a cold weather glove. I can slip a tab over the middle finger of my wool glove. How do you guys use a (shooting) glove when its cold out?
I use a tab practicing too since my bare fingers can only take about 5 shots but those fold back and velcro mittens allow a glove, tab, etc. under when it's cold. Not ideal to find an anchor point though. I try to slip a glove/mitten off if possible. Those hand muffs that belt around your waist work good too.

Last edited:
I use my great granddad's old 3-finger glove when I monkey with bent sticks. He used to build his own bows modeled after Saxton Pope's "Ole Horrible" dimensions that he copied out of a library book.

Right now I'm in the tab or glove debate with myself. I feel more instinctual with a glove but it seems like my release is more consistent with a 3 under tab. Any of you old timers have any insight on release consistency with one over the other. It also seems I shoot the 40# limbs with a glove better, and I shoot the 55# limbs better with a tab. Is that a real thing or is my newb stench with the recurve just the biggest factor?

Right now I'm in the tab or glove debate with myself. I feel more instinctual with a glove but it seems like my release is more consistent with a 3 under tab. Any of you old timers have any insight on release consistency with one over the other. It also seems I shoot the 40# limbs with a glove better, and I shoot the 55# limbs better with a tab. Is that a real thing or is my newb stench with the recurve just the biggest factor?
What’s your draw length. The few books I read recommended using a tab as it was more consistent if you could. They often mention that if your draw length is too long or if your bow is too short you could experience pinching with the tab.

I’m no ole timer, just a green horn!

I'm at 27", so i don't think it is draw related. Thanks. I figure anyone who shoots a recurve to hunt knows more than me at this point.

bates cordovan tab, split finger.
Ive used only cordovan tabs for almost 30 years. I can't imagine that there is anything better, but some guys swear by a glove. I guess you have to decide for yourself. But I will say that cordovan gets better and better with use. My best tab has thousands of shots with it and its slick as goose poop.
I also have a couple back up cordovan tabs that have not been used much...they are not nearly as slick.
Shoot them until they break in. You cannot wear them out. They wear like iron.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I use the aae elite tab, cordovan face. Bateman is also a great tab. They make a 2 under tab that I’m going to try

Back