• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Remington Model 7600

HuntNorthEast

Anyone got one? Like it?

They go for about a grand new. I really want to buy one eventually but have a hard time justifying that price tag when I have enough guns as it is (about 30 not including hand guns).

That being said, if I buy one it will be exclusively for tracking deer on snow using the iron sights. Lots of big woods up here and I don't trust semi's hence the pump.

Input? Thanks
!HuntNorthEast1.png

I have one. A few years ago I shot about 3 MOA groups. I have shot sub 1 MOA groups with other rifles. Ok for a deer rifle. I have a scope high mounted on sight through rings so I can see the iron sights underneath. For Eastern woods deer hunting I don't think you could get better. I just threw together some 90% loads for the 3 MOA groups. With load development it may be better.
They seem to be going for about $600 used.
Adjustable buttstock for heavy winter clothing.

Last edited:
I use a lever gun for fast action in the woods. Why not a henry or marlin, easy to walk around at 1/2 cock, and quick with the reload if you miss?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I use a lever gun for fast action in the woods. Why not a henry or marlin, easy to walk around at 1/2 cock, and quick with the reload if you miss?

I have a couple lever actions but I feel like the square surface where a scope rail would sit obstructs view vs the rounded top of a 7600. Plus, every lever action I own or have shot, especially Henrys, are wicked heavy. I do LOVE Henrys and they are great quality, but the weight is a nightmare. When I hit the big woods I'm not doing small hikes, I'm doing miles, up, down, up, down.

I've got it done with my .30-06 bolt enough times, even when they are on a full sprint. I hate straying away from bolt action but pump just seems to be my new interest for this.

I guess I'll hafta buy a used older one! Thanks for the heads up guys!

Used one exclusively for many years. You want to have the best walking gun ever (quick-shot), put an Aimpoint pro on it.
My .22 has a primary arms microdot for squirrels and rabbits. Love the red dot for small game and fast shooting.

Have had one chambered in .308 since the early 80's. Absolutely love this gun, and have killed many deer with it. Haven't rifle hunted in several years, but this would be my go to if I did, and I have several other rifles to choose from.

Mine is a 30-06. I also have a Rossi lever in 45 Colt which is very light and handy. For a lot of walking in thick cover I would choose that. If I came up to an open field and 200 yards away was big buck, I would wish I had the 06.

Have had one chambered in .308 since the early 80's. Absolutely love this gun, and have killed many deer with it. Haven't rifle hunted in several years, but this would be my go to if I did, and I have several other rifles to choose from.
That's what I want, .308 is just about the only caliber I don't own!

I have owned a pump 7600 for 30 years and it has killed more bucks than you could stuff in a Uhaul truck, the pump rifle exploded because of Larry Benoit, your from Maine so you understand what I mean, I track also, a lot, the pump is a dead nuts reliable rifle and requires very little maintenance, I mainly use custom bolt stuff now because I am a gun nut and can’t stop tinkering with guns and modifying a 7600 is like pimping out a minivan, theres just no reason to do it. Everybody here is 100% correct you want an older one, gunbroker is your friend for that, mine started out as a 22” full length gun and then it got shortened to 18”, the first barrel, the second barrel same thing Remington put a 22” back on it and again I had it shortened to 18”, mine is a 270. I track a lot of bucks and would have killed about half as many had I been using a peep or open sights, I know thats what a lot of guys use up there but not me, 2-7 leupold all day and every day, my tracking partner uses a trijicon, same as my brother, he bought his from the benoits.

Old ones are solid. shot one in 30-06 for many years. Light as a feather, kicks like a mule. Not the most accurate gun in the world but for shooting offhand with irons it’s more accurate than you are. It will definitely fit the bill for what you’ve described but so will a ton of guns out there.

Kittery trading post probably has a rack full of them
I love Kittery Trading Post. It was my favorite part of a summer trip to Maine as a kid (even over the beach!l).

I have 7600 carbine in 30-06 that I picked up used from Gunbroker for a little over four benny's a few years back. It has an elevated scope over iron sights. I'm not much of a tracker, though I yearn to be and have read Larry's book and attended his son's workshops.

I'm not a rifle aficionado but I like this gun. It's size works great in a saddle application also.

I love Kittery Trading Post. It was my favorite part of a summer trip to Maine as a kid (even over the beach!l).

I have 7600 carbine in 30-06 that I picked up used from Gunbroker for a little over four benny's a few years back. It has an elevated scope over iron sights. I'm not much of a tracker, though I yearn to be and have read Larry's book and attended his son's workshops.

I'm not a rifle aficionado but I like this gun. It's size works great in a saddle application also.
I love Kittery. Many good gun shop trips with my Dad

I love Kittery. Many good gun shop trips with my Dad
Since we weren't hunters, I spent my time there in the basement fishing section. Being from VT with no Cabelas or Bass Pro I thought all the fishing lures in the world were in that store.

I remember we had a set of beach towels from KTP that said "L.L Who?" on them. Classic.

Oh, and my 7600 rocks, to get back on topic. Dropped my best buck with it in 2017. Love toting that thing in the woods.

Since we weren't hunters, I spent my time there in the basement fishing section. Being from VT with no Cabelas or Bass Pro I thought all the fishing lures in the world were in that store.

I remember we had a set of beach towels from KTP that said "L.L Who?" on them. Classic.

Oh, and my 7600 rocks, to get back on topic. Dropped my best buck with it in 2017. Love toting that thing in the woods.
Off topic... I miss MA, VT and ME but not NH or CT!
Sorry just slipped out

Back