• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rename this sub forum

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Change it from "Post Season Scouting" to "Pre Season Scouting".
Any scouting I do, whether its anytime from one day after the season ends, thru shed hunting season, thru summer glassing...its all PRE season scouting...post season scouting, in reality, is actually scouting for NEXT season.
IMO, there is no such thing as post season...everything is all about getting ready for NEXT season ;-)

I kinda get what you are saying but for practical intents and purposes, the term post-season makes more sense to me. Distinguishes the period one scouts between the end of one's season and green-up. I would then separately define summer scouting as green-up through velvet shedding, then pre-season falls into its own timeframe.

I kinda get what you are saying but for practical intents and purposes, the term post-season makes more sense to me. Distinguishes the period one scouts between the end of one's season and green-up. I would then separately define summer scouting as green-up through velvet shedding, then pre-season falls into its own timeframe.
I was making a light hearted gripe...just half serious about changing the thread name of the thread.
But I am kinda serious about the idea that pretty much all scouting is done with the premise that its information gathering and prep for FUTURE hunts...otherwise, its just a walk in the woods

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Change it from "Post Season Scouting" to "Pre Season Scouting".
Any scouting I do, whether its anytime from one day after the season ends, thru shed hunting season, thru summer glassing...its all PRE season scouting...post season scouting, in reality, is actually scouting for NEXT season.
IMO, there is no such thing as post season...everything is all about getting ready for NEXT season ;-)
I think of it as scouting sign left during the previous season.
Yes. I called it post season because we are scouting the sign left from the current season while it is still available.

Yes. I called it post season because we are scouting the sign left from the current season while it is still available.
You DO realize I'm kidding about changing the name don't you?
But at the same time, I'm making the point that all scouting is done with the mindset of FUTURE hunts.
Just trying to split hairs

I think of it as scouting sign left during the previous season.
And you do it because last years sign applies to next season.
On a serious note...
Some of the sign that I look for are the rub lines that are old and almost grown over. When those rub lines mirror current rub lines I know there are perennial patterns....which is good to know for NEXT year (pre season scouting...lol).

You DO realize I'm kidding about changing the name don't you?
But at the same time, I'm making the point that all scouting is done with the mindset of FUTURE hunts.
Just trying to split hairs

I kinda got that but wasn't sure lol. Some times its hard to tell with the written word so I stuck to the facts ;)

I kinda got that but wasn't sure lol. Some times its hard to tell with the written word so I stuck to the facts ;)

It aint always easy to convey the points we really want to make. And I usually suck at it... regardless of how many words are put in a post.

It aint always easy to convey the points we really want to make. And I usually suck at it... regardless of how many words are put in a post.

lol. A lot gets lost in the written word.

We ain’t all as eloquent and Buster Scruggs...

Last edited:
Back