• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Replacement Kestrel Flex

Boog

I had some of the issues with my Kestrel Flex described on an earlier thread (black coating rubbing off and fabric pulling away from the trim around the sides). I contacted AH, sent them a few pics and asked to have it repaired. They replaced the saddle with an updated version of the Flex! A+ customer service!

The replacement Flex has a black layer of nylon (cordura?) on the inside instead of the spray on coating. This adds a little weight and bulk, not an issue for me. It also has a wider ribbon of trim around the sides which looks like it should cure the issue of the fabric pulling away. The most interesting change is to the pleat. The replacement Flex has the regular camo saddle material (not stretchy) inside the pleat rather than the black, slightly stretchy "flex" material.

I've only sat in the replacement Flex for a few minutes, but I couldn't really tell a difference in the way the saddle feels with the pleat fully open. One thing I noticed right away is that the new pleat stays closed much better than with the slightly stretchy material. It is also much easier to close the pleat again after opening it.

Is this how all the new Flex saddles are now? I might have missed it, but I haven't seen any reviews of the changes.

I had some of the issues with my Kestrel Flex described on an earlier thread (black coating rubbing off and fabric pulling away from the trim around the sides). I contacted AH, sent them a few pics and asked to have it repaired. They replaced the saddle with an updated version of the Flex! A+ customer service!

The replacement Flex has a black layer of nylon (cordura?) on the inside instead of the spray on coating. This adds a little weight and bulk, not an issue for me. It also has a wider ribbon of trim around the sides which looks like it should cure the issue of the fabric pulling away. The most interesting change is to the pleat. The replacement Flex has the regular camo saddle material (not stretchy) inside the pleat rather than the black, slightly stretchy "flex" material.

I've only sat in the replacement Flex for a few minutes, but I couldn't really tell a difference in the way the saddle feels with the pleat fully open. One thing I noticed right away is that the new pleat stays closed much better than with the slightly stretchy material. It is also much easier to close the pleat again after opening it.

Is this how all the new Flex saddles are now? I might have missed it, but I haven't seen any reviews of the changes.
My replacement is the same as you described. Haven't had time to try out yet but it looks well built like my kestrel .Excellent customer service.I gotta get to the woods soon lol

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

You mind posting pics showing how bad your interior was on the Flex? I have the same issue but I don't think mine is "that bad". Just curious what yours looked like

My main concern was where the fabric was starting to pull away from the trim. I didn't think mine was that bad either, but wanted to address it before it got worse. AH didn't hesitate. They said they were aware of these issues and offered to replace it based on my pictures. I didn't even have to pay return shipping on my old saddle.

How long did this replacement process take? Did you have to return your old one and wait for the new one? Who covered shipping?

I ordered a new flex in december that arrived in mid-February that I believe is built the same as your replacement flex.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I got a replacement flex turn around from Canada and returned in less than 30 days. The replacement flex has a better pleat. It will stay closed when I want it closed. And the interior is much improved.

They fixed what I did not like. And replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How long did this replacement process take? Did you have to return your old one and wait for the new one? Who covered shipping?
AH arranged for UPS to pick up my old saddle at no cost to me. All I had to do was put it in a box and write the return authorization number on the outside. UPS picked it up on February 7, and the replacement arrived on February 29, so just over three weeks.

do you have to be the original owner of the flex to get the old version replaced? If I bought one on here from someone, and it has those issues, could I get it replaced?

do you have to be the original owner of the flex to get the old version replaced? If I bought one on here from someone, and it has those issues, could I get it replaced?
I can't say for sure, but I would think they would want to make sure there were no safety issues and replace it.

I can't say for sure, but I would think they would want to make sure there were no safety issues and replace it.
Call and ask. They will want to see pictures before you send it back. And the date of mfg.
I like some of the changes they made. It certainly stays closed better.

According to the AH "Warranty and Returns" page, "Coverage terminates if you sell or otherwise transfer the product." Still wouldn't hurt to give them a call since it's within the warranty period.

According to the AH "Warranty and Returns" page, "Coverage terminates if you sell or otherwise transfer the product." Still wouldn't hurt to give them a call since it's within the warranty period.

Thanks. I agree, wouldn't hurt to ask.

Does anyone know when the "new" generation of saddles began production? I picked up a Flex (barely used) that was manufactured 8/13/19. I bought knowing full well the potential issue, so wasn't a concern, was just curious if this is the newer one or the older one that has black material flaking off? I haven't even had the chance to sit in mine enough yet to see if mine will wear off - curiosity got the best of me so was just curious of what to expect.

Back