• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Replacing the bridge carabiner??

WHW

Vendor Rep
Spent some time with my Kestrel today. Decided to see how using a bowline knot to replace the carabiner on my bridge would work. I've had a lot of experience using the bowline and find it simple, quick and easy to tie and untie, even after it's been under a load. I've never experienced any problems using it even on extreme heavy loads. Using the bowline I'm able to quickly shorten or lengthen the bridge. Even though I feel safe and like it better than the carabiner I wanted to question the more experienced saddle hunters about their opinions. What do you say?

I got rid of the bulky rope and knots and used climb spec tubular webbing, tied loops with water knots and attached with 2 small carabiners, petzl spirit I believe. I don’t find the need to adjust my bridge.
I played around with some amsteel last month and made some spliced end loop bridges. I think I will go the amsteel route. Larks head one end and carabiner the other. I like a removable bridge.

Reactions: WHW
The bowline isn’t used much in climbing. I can’t really say why. People use a double bowline and it is as bulky as a figure 8 follow through. I learned the bowline as a rescue knot to to lift someone with so I’m sure it would work. With any knot inspect regularly and leave plenty of tail.

I believe, in my limited rescue training experience, the general consensus of the bowline is that it is ok to use for life support ONLY in non-moving applications such as stationary anchor points.

I believe the reasoning is because in a moving situation a bowline has the potential to loosen (by rubbing over an object). This is in industrial type rescue situations so zero chances are taken.

To connect to your saddle personally I would prefer to use a figure 8. But, with the knot right there in front of you I think you could leave enough tag and monitor the knot enough to be safe.

Most important is that your are very comfortable and confident in the bowline.

F125B063-9E49-4AE8-8A8F-A22F3D0959B7.jpeg
Spent some time with my Kestrel today. Decided to see how using a bowline knot to replace the carabiner on my bridge would work. I've had a lot of experience using the bowline and find it simple, quick and easy to tie and untie, even after it's been under a load. I've never experienced any problems using it even on extreme heavy loads. Using the bowline I'm able to quickly shorten or lengthen the bridge. Even though I feel safe and like it better than the carabiner I wanted to question the more experienced saddle hunters about their opinions. What do you say?
There are a lot of threads on arborist websites about not using the bowline as a life-support knot. If you Google ‘bowline for life support’ you’ll see threads. If your bridge came untied at height that would be bad. They say you should use the Yosemite tie off if you want to use a bow line for life support. Most climbers use a double figure 8 to tie into the rope and not a bow line. Sure, it probably won’t come untied. It’s a great knot. But a locking carabiner or fixed bridge is safer.

Last edited:
I'd use a figure 8 or a poachers knot. Only time ive used a bowline was for a basal anchor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just put a whoppie sling made out of 6 mm amsteel on my saddle. That means I have no carabiners on my bridge and I have a bridge than I can easily adjust from 20 to 36 inches and it made my Kestrel lighter. It now weighs 2.48 pounds minus a tether and linemans belt. Before the change it weighed almost 3 pounds
65b695c03904fd54f733d9d82796c9e4.jpg

Last edited:
Make an amsteel bridge and whoopie sling. No carabiners and no knots and adjustable and lighter.

What long of a piece of Amsteel did you start out with?
I used 8 feet and buried the end of the whoppie sling back into itself instead of a knot.
I think you could get away with 7 feet easy if you used a knot like @g2outdoors did. Or if you don't want it 40 inches you can shorten it.
Most people do not want an adjustable bridge. I like them. I have not used this bridge yet but last fall I hunted only with an adjustable bridge that used a prussic knot.

I never remove my bridge so I put the loops on the saddle as I made the Whoppie.

I used 8 feet and buried the end of the whoppie sling back into itself instead of a knot.
I think you could get away with 7 feet easy if you used a knot like @g2outdoors did. Or if you don't want it 40 inches you can shorten it.
Most people do not want an adjustable bridge. I like them. I have not used this bridge yet but last fall I hunted only with an adjustable bridge that used a prussic knot.

I never remove my bridge so I put the loops on the saddle as I made the Whoppie.

I have some 7/64 amsteel that I am going to make a Whoopie sling out of. This will be used at GROUND LEVEL ONLY to figure out what length bridge I like when by Kestrel arrives.
Thanks

I have some 7/64 amsteel that I am going to make a Whoopie sling out of. This will be used at GROUND LEVEL ONLY to figure out what length bridge I like when by Kestrel arrives.
Thanks
You will not need as much because your bury will be much less with 7/64 amsteel.

Thanks
If you are using such thin rope and at ground level and if you shorten your bury to reflect the rope size and if you are using carabiners to attach it and if you put a knot on the end of the whoppie you will not need more than 6 feet of rope.

I haven't received my kestrel yet but I'm going to use a ropeman on bridge to make it adjustable at ground until I find my comfort and then going with 1/4 amsteel and using 1 biner.

Ontario, I like that whoopie idea. Trades has some concerns.
Guys how's the safety of a whoopie as a bridge?
I just got my kestrel in today and I am looking to make an adjustable bridge with out a rope man...as I have two already on my linesmen and tether.

Ontario, I like that whoopie idea. Trades has some concerns.
Guys how's the safety of a whoopie as a bridge?
I just got my kestrel in today and I am looking to make an adjustable bridge with out a rope man...as I have two already on my linesmen and tether.

1. The rope is strong. That is no problem
  2. The splice is stronger than a figure 8 if the splice and loop are done properly
  3. Whoppie end. I just made it and have not used it
  4. There is a potential that it could pull through I guess.
  5. You can bury the tag end into itself and put a knot in it - I cannot see how that would fail.
  6. Try and pull that knot and tag end through the bury in the whoppie. I am sure you cannot.
  7. If you are still worried put a loop end on your whoppie a spliced loop on the end and reattach it to your saddle. Make the tag end extra long to do this. I doubt this is necessary but that is what redundancy is.
  8. I have only just built a whoppie but I have no concerns as it sits
  9. Or use a ropeman on some predator rope. Or just make a fixed bridge
  10. I used 1/4 Amsteel for my whoppie bridge
  11. Last year I used a prussic to have an adjustable bridge on ultra tech.
I like the idea of a whoppie. I like an adjustable bridge which is what I used last year. I like no metal on my bridge. I like amsteel because it is strong and light. But we are all different. I would not use less than 1/4 amsteel on my bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Now I have 11 more reasons to thank you.
I really like the idea of a whoopee for an adjustable bridge.
First year with a saddle for a guy who always forgot to wear his safety line on his climber...trying to play it safe preseason to limit the chances I take during the season.
I think a big knot will do the trick or the spliced eye.

Back