• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rest/Plunger Combo

Arkie

SH Member
I’m currently shooting off the shelf, and I’m not really having any issues; however, I would like to tinker with a rest and plunger.

Any recommendations on a rest/plunger combo?

Anyone else using this? If so, what’s your experience been?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aae hunter rest and a simple plunger is awesome. Can tune out a lot of issues and cheat a little if needed. Been using this for 20+ years and only way I roll now days but on one of my ilf bear paw riser I slap a cheap Hoyt rest on and that is awesome. I was a advocate for shooting off the shelf for many years but found a lot of bowyers didn’t get the design of their shelf right. The peak wasn’t where it should be or it was to flat. Etc........ so a simple stick on rest works great then add a plunger to the mix even better give it a try and you’ll see the difference

Something like the AAE Master Plunger?

Razorback set me up with this on my ilf and it tightened up my groups compared to bear off the shelf .
Its my first year with a recurve .
I still like the simplicity of off the shelf but I feel it helped with my consistency and getting arrows tuned.

You can use a cheap plunger or a Teflon screw in place of plunger. You don’t need target ones that stick way out. You want one that that has a stiff spring. 3 rivers or lancasters has them. Even better is a springy rest set up. Virtually bomb proof

You can use a cheap plunger or a Teflon screw in place of plunger. You don’t need target ones that stick way out. You want one that that has a stiff spring. 3 rivers or lancasters has them. Even better is a springy rest set up. Virtually bomb proof

Springy rest with a plunger or the rest only?

Mainly the springy only I have several that I screw into riser. Check out 3 rivers they have them. Plungers and elevated rest can be time consuming but once set it’s awesome. You can also achieve great flight with a feather rest Many ways to skin the cat. Just got to pick one and roll with it for a length of time to see if works for you.

Thanks for the info.

Very new (maybe a month in) so starting to explore what all is out there.

I’m currently shooting off the shelf, and I’m not really having any issues; however, I would like to tinker with a rest and plunger.
This is me to a T...

"I'm pretty satisfied with how everything is right now but I saw a super-shiny thing last night while perusing 3 Rivers before bed and now I'm thinking about changing my whole setup". :tearsofjoy:

This is me to a T...

"I'm pretty satisfied with how everything is right now but I saw a super-shiny thing last night while perusing 3 Rivers before bed and now I'm thinking about changing my whole setup". :tearsofjoy:

I can’t help myself.

If there’s something I can tinker with, I eventually will.

This is me to a T...

Hmmmm....I remember someone telling me the reason they wanted to get into Trad was the simplicity, and because they were afraid of all the super shiny things on their compound breaking. For the life of me I can't remember who that was?? ;)

I am not trying to get you to keep your money, but just today I watched an old Jake Kaminski video on plunger set ups.
For what it is worth - and this is coming from a 2x Olympic silver medalist - adjusting his plunger is almost the last thing that he ever does to alter his arrow's path. He does other actions first so that may give you a hint at what some of the world's best shooters do with their plunger. He may be an anomaly, but regardless it put plungers into perspective for me and I own some.

On my BB warf riser I have a Bear Weatherest with a hole punched into it so I could thread a plastic screw into the berger hole to adjust my centershot. I have fuzzy velcro all over the place on that bow because it is only a deer rib poke'n machine and not many people ever get to see it so who cares what it looks like! This is certainly not what you are looking for because it isn't shiny and NEVER needs me to mess with it, but it is an option that you get to tinker with once.

If you want a shiny object, consider a springy rest. I have one on a different riser and those are very good (albeit, not a fiddle'n with device, but good in other ways). I have a Dalaa riser coming to me and I may put that springy rest on it, like you I was considering a magnetic rest with a plunger but I don't like having even shorty plungers hanging off the side of my bow, especially if you like to use a bow quiver. A (Martin) spring rest will also stick out about as far as a plunger, that is until I whack it off so it only sticks out about 1/4" and grind a flat groove into it so I can adjust it with a coin if needed.

Dadgum it, I just checked and noticed that I didn't tell you the truth.
The centershot bolt on my BB warf riser is not a plastic screw after all, it is stainless.
At least I told you the truth about the rest being a Bear Weatherest...

BB warf rest.jpgBB warf centershot.jpg

Also, a tip for those who are new to the game of single string bows.
If you lather up your shelf area with velcro or anything else, make the top portion a straight line that equates to your preferred-distance gap. It can be checked very quickly when the heat is on. This is not legal and any but the most informal backyard 3D tourneys, but it is okay in the deer woods.

The white tape is because I radically changed arrows for this bow and had to put a new gap mark on this riser.

[mention]Scott F [/mention] I appreciate the input.

I may go ahead and keep my money for now lol.
Like I said, I’m not having any issues (other than my own inconsistency) shooting off the shelf. I have a tendency to want to test and re test new gadgets. For my own benefit, I probably need to keep shooting off the shelf and focus on my form for the 6 months in the off-season.

I swapped the feathers on my BE Vintages for some trad vanes, mainly because I don’t mind shooting when it’s wet and I thought they’d be easier to fletch into my Bitz.

I’m shooting kill-able groups 10-25 yards consistently off the shelf. I do have the occasional flyers, but due to something I was doing versus the set up.

Maybe you can talk [mention]Red Beard [/mention] into keeping his money now haha.

Save money even more and shoot 2 fletch arrows I do that for my hunting arrows LOL

Save money even more and shoot 2 fletch arrows I do that for my hunting arrows LOL

That’s interesting.
What’s your arrow set up?

I think I’ll keep 4 fletching them for now just to be safe haha. I probably need all the steering I can get.

I've heard of other folks going to a 2 fletch arrow, but I do everything I can to tune a bareshaft to fly true, and this year I am going to a 4 fletch arrow for hunting.

Tuning field points is easy for me but I like to shoot big and wide broadheads so the potential for them to plane off course is a very likely situation when the conditions exist for that. In theory, a 4 fletch arrow will be able to control it a little better, that's the theory at least. I am as frugal as most but I am going to splurge a little this year and 'waste' one additional feather per arrow. <note the sarcasm>
If I did worry about my broadhead planing in the wind I would go back to my WW broadheads because I have them on hand. I am thinking about the biggest 2 blade I can find.

I am going to hunt exclusively with my recurve this season which means I will likely do some broadhead tuning with the planing method vs just grouping broadhead tipped arrows with the mechanicals I used with my compound.

Back