• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ridge runner mods?

Rutbuster2

Any ridge runner mods out there?

I’m curious if anybody has drilled holes in their Ridge runner platform to reduce the weight. There seems to be a lot of surface area available that can be drilled out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

069ebe7fb711dac6525ccb388aeb28f2.jpg

I guess you could 1/4-1/2 lb. you think more than that?

I was thinking at least 1/2 lb, depending on hole size. Out On A Limb uses 1/4” thick aluminum on these.

I’m gonna give it a go. I will post images with weight differences.

Last edited:
Murph4028 you were correct. I saved a little over 4 ounces drilling 7/16” holes. Most of the internal platform material I could not access. Not to mention I only own a hand drill!

Hindsight, it was probably not worth the effort.
IMG_0505.JPG

It’s still a quarter lb. it’s really not hard to eliminate those quarter lbs and end up taking 2&1/2 lbs off your total set up. I think it’d be worth it with a drill press.

Maybe it's me being unable to hunt much this year. Maybe I'm finally transitioning into the grumpy, old, middle-aged man I was always destined to be. This isn't a shot at you personally. Also, this is my opinion and opinions generally stink. It's your stuff, you're a grown-up and can make your own decisions. But...

That's not even remotely worth the effort. I mean, I get wanting to save weight; no one wants to haul in 30-40 lbs. You saved 4oz and gave up structural integrity, a warranty and resale value, etc. I literally drop more than that every morning after my coffee. And really, you could easily find out roughly how much weight you'd save before messing up your platform (or sticks, etc.) with a little math.

Can we all just do a few pushups every night? Post in a single thread after you do it to keep each other honest. Peer pressure ourselves into being a little more fit? I'd ever notice a 4oz difference in my pack it setup.

I cut more weight replacing the steel carabiners that came with my lineman's belt and tree tether with Black Diamond biners. But thanks for making the sacrifice for the name of science.

Mine is so light I 'm really not interested in drilling it but that looks really cool and it's one of a kind, at least till you posted pics.

Shaved another 1.4 ounces by drilling 1/2” holes and drilling the internal material. For a total reduction of 5.9 ounces. I am not a big guy and feel totally safe with these mods.

I’ll continue looking for ways to reduce my “walk in” weight. Those ounces add up in the end.

I’m thinking of trying a 3/16 amsteel woopie sling to hold the RR platform. I tried a woven daisy chain but I can’t get it to get right enough for the cam over. So I ent back to the cinch buckle. But I think a woopie sling might tighten up enough

I’m definitely also wanting to switch away from the buckle strap that the Ridge Runner came with.

I’ve read that whoopie slings work well for attaching platforms, but have some issues with backing off for platform removal.

I’m definitely also wanting to switch away from the buckle strap that the Ridge Runner came with.

I’ve read that whoopie slings work well for attaching platforms, but have some issues with backing off for platform removal.

Hmm. I have a 1/8” woopie. I’ll play with it at ground level to see

Back