• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ridgerunner vs Blackbird

bigcat93

SH Member
So I'm looking into something more compact-able for 1-2 nights other than my tent but also to be compatible for longer trips so i have the option. I plan on bringing a smaller size bag when i got probably 25L. Looking into hammocks. I know some on here have used both (I'm pretty sure?) Was wondering what your guys thoughts or experiences have been with them.

Looking up the specs on the warbonnet website I've narrowed it down to either the Ridge Runner or the Blackbird XLC. The regular blackbird isn't going be long enough for me as its rated for 6'0" and I'm just under that at 5'11".

Weight wise:
Blackbird XLC (lightweight, double layer): 3.9 lbs
Ridge Runner (double layer): ~2.5-3.0 lbs depending on connection (whoopie sling or continuous loops)

Price Wise: only $40 between the two, whoopie sling connection is extra if you choose that as an option.

I have a basic double eagle from eagle nest. It is a single layer but I find it very compact and comfortable. Just make sure you get it level a tight when you hang them... otherwise you will slide up or down in your sleep. A hammock, rainfly, sleeping bag and a wider (shoulder width plus 2 or 3 inches) flat air mat and you are set. When camping this is what I use. I have not used a tent in years. Just keep your boot tied to the top of the hammock. Keeps them out of the weather and off the ground where snakes and scorpions play.

I have actually gone "backwards" and pretty much exclusively use a non-asymmetric hammock: Warbonnet Traveler.

I like that it is can be used with either a fully-enveloping winter sock or bug net depending on need and it is still lighter than the others. The winter sock is just awesome.

FEC60BEC-3BBF-4EFE-A601-0E1CA33C7FCB_zps6ghsmtbb.jpg

I've slept many nights in both of those hammocks. I have a lot of hammock experience.

The question you're asking is akin to "which is better...a Lamborghini or Ferrari". LOL.

Both of those options are really really good options and Warbonnet is a great company with fantastic customer service. Have you ever slept in a hammock? Do you sleep on your back at night? Can you sleep on your back? As a general rule, the bridge hammocks (Ridge Runner) are for people that have a hard time sleeping on their backs. They're designed for side sleepers.

Can I introduce another option into the mix? I'd check out the Dutchware Gear Chameleon. it's the most comfortable hammock I've ever slept in. If this means anything...I sold my Ridge Runner after taking the Chameleon on my last fishing trip.

Another thing to consider is you're going to want an underquilt. All hammockers go through this conversion from tents. At first they try to make due with their sleeping pad. It works, but it's a little wonky and not very user friendly. Next they try an underquilt and realize they should have started off that way. An UQ provides a night and day difference in comfort

My recommendation would be to get the Chameleon with Daisy chain suspension from Dutchware Gear. I used whoopie slings for several years but have since converted to the Ultimate Straps (a daisy chain style suspension) from Ulitmate Hammocks. I won't be going back to whoopies anytime soon. Then, I'd get a 20 degree 3/4 length UQ from Loco Libre Gear or Hammock Gear. Again, I've got a LOT of hammock experience and if I could only own 1 setup, that's what it would be.

I'll provably order a blackbird xlc if they have a black Friday special. G2 uses a regular blackbird I believe, so you could ask his opinion on that one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'll provably order a blackbird xlc if they have a black Friday special. G2 uses a regular blackbird I believe, so you could ask his opinion on that one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

@bowhunter15 makes a good point. If you can hold off for a month, all of the hammock vendors generally do a really good black friday sale.

haha you did thank you!, I did skim over that link you posted as it was in another thread. ill check out all those things tonight. and I'm not in any hurry. Being in school again in GA and not home in NJ I'm probably done hunting for the season unless I get in my tree on my breaks that I spend home. But definitely looking to get away into the woods either for a weekend or couple days on my longer breaks.

I've slept many nights in both of those hammocks. I have a lot of hammock experience.

The question you're asking is akin to "which is better...a Lamborghini or Ferrari". LOL.

Both of those options are really really good options and Warbonnet is a great company with fantastic customer service. Have you ever slept in a hammock? Do you sleep on your back at night? Can you sleep on your back? As a general rule, the bridge hammocks (Ridge Runner) are for people that have a hard time sleeping on their backs. They're designed for side sleepers.

Can I introduce another option into the mix? I'd check out the Dutchware Gear Chameleon. it's the most comfortable hammock I've ever slept in. If this means anything...I sold my Ridge Runner after taking the Chameleon on my last fishing trip.

Another thing to consider is you're going to want an underquilt. All hammockers go through this conversion from tents. At first they try to make due with their sleeping pad. It works, but it's a little wonky and not very user friendly. Next they try an underquilt and realize they should have started off that way. An UQ provides a night and day difference in comfort

My recommendation would be to get the Chameleon with Daisy chain suspension from Dutchware Gear. I used whoopie slings for several years but have since converted to the Ultimate Straps (a daisy chain style suspension) from Ulitmate Hammocks. I won't be going back to whoopies anytime soon. Then, I'd get a 20 degree 3/4 length UQ from Loco Libre Gear or Hammock Gear. Again, I've got a LOT of hammock experience and if I could only own 1 setup, that's what it would be.
The under quilt is new to me but I like what I see! Why would you go 3/4 length? And why the 20 degree rating? What do you use when it is hot outside? I switched to the basic hammock as it was cooler than a tent and lighter.

I just purchased the chameleon with bugnet and top cover ,around $300 shipped.what tarp do you use I was looking at warbonnet superfly ,i really dont know ,i do know this setup will be about 300lbs lighter than my panther primitives super wedge with floor and fly lol but man that tent is awesome

Back