• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ring of steps

kidneystones_3000

From the information I have gathered from what I read on saddlehunter.com and from YouTube videos squirrel steps are the best Ring of steps platform there is they are very light weight and very quiet. This is just my opinion but paying $26.00 for one step is way over priced for a very basic design. It’s not like their designing the Eiffel tower. To be honest if I had the opportunity to mark up the price for a tree step that high I would do the same thing more power to them.

My question is this is there a cheaper version of Squirrel Steps that is available if you have any suggestions please let me know thanks.

The only other commercially made option are Bullman Outdoors steps. The squirrel steps are expensive to machine in the USA in small quantities. They were designed for saddle hunters, who wanted a ring of steps option. Before they were released used Ameristeps were the best option and they were selling for $20-$25 a step. I bought 5 on a over center buckle in 2018 for $125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullman steps will Run you about $50-60 with a strap. I bought some last year when I was in between a platform and steps and didn’t want to commit to the Ameristep markup (like previous poster said, $25 per, for a USED step). The Bullmans leave something to be desired but they are perfectly usable and I’ll hunt them this year. I don’t hate them enough yet to upgrade but that may change.

I got mine for $55 shipped last year on the forum and I could probably sell them for $50 if I needed to. That might be your best bet if you buy them and decide to switch.

You mad a very good point because there is relatively few saddle hunters making fewer parts would drive up the price something that I over looked. Maybe I am wrong it just seems to me a lot pay for something that basic. At this point in time it doesnt seem thier are alot of good options

From the information I have gathered from what I read on saddlehunter.com and from YouTube videos squirrel steps are the best Ring of steps platform there is they are very light weight and very quiet. This is just my opinion but paying $26.00 for one step is way over priced for a very basic design. It’s not like their designing the Eiffel tower. To be honest if I had the opportunity to mark up the price for a tree step that high I would do the same thing more power to them.

My question is this is there a cheaper version of Squirrel Steps that is available if you have any suggestions please let me know thanks.

Do you have any concept of what went into designing the steps, prototyping, field testing them, sourcing materials, running a business, getting insurance, processing orders, boxing stuff to ship it, running a website, etc?

I’m assuming your argument for the price being too high is because you don’t want to pay it ?

I would’ve stopped short of “if I had the opportunity to mark it up that high I would.” - you made an assumption the supplier is making an unfair markup, and in the same sentence pointed out you would do the same.

You’re wrong on the first count - and it’s got nothing to do with the actual supplier. The price is fair, because everyone who has the product has had their expectations properly managed, and they are happy with the purchase. If not, they wouldn’t sell.

At least you’re honest about the fact you’d screw people over if given the chance.

The common options available for ring of steps style platforms are: squirrel steps, ameristeps, bullman steps, wild edge stepps, and furniture brackets. There are some random steps floating around the used market that you may find at a better price, but they lack features of the squirrel steps.

Its not like there are tens of millions of saddle hunters buying ROS. When you run a low volume business your fixed costs and limited production runs make it hard to get the unit price down. I doubt anyone is building mansions off their ROS profits.

I just sold Game Tracker steps for 40$ for a set of 4. They are about identical it a squirrel step, but plastic. I just didn't like them. They, like ameristep, also had a recall but it was the buckles on the straps that failed to prompt the recall. Do Search and look around there's a bit of into it there on them, but they are not easy to find.

https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/cranfords-ring-of-steps-near-completion.13545/

Some variation of this was posted on about 6 different sub-forums in late March, saying they were maybe a month out. It’s been silence since though. I’m holding out to see if they ever emerge, but given the sort of guerrilla marketing with the original message but no follow up, my hopes aren’t high. But being steel and coming from a place that already makes steps, I’d expect them to be less expensive.

Otherwise, I used bullmans last season and they worked well for me. But squirrel steps have some distinct advantages, originated on here, and seem to be driven by a really good guy, so I’ll probably go that route if cranford isn’t significantly cheaper if they ever come out.

Last edited:
Its not like there are tens of millions of saddle hunters buying ROS. When you run a low volume business your fixed costs and limited production runs make it hard to get the unit price down. I doubt anyone is building mansions off their ROS profits.
I mentioned that in previous message that I over look point. You make a lot of good points thanks

The only other commercially made option are Bullman Outdoors steps. The squirrel steps are expensive to machine in the USA in small quantities. They were designed for saddle hunters, who wanted a ring of steps option. Before they were released used Ameristeps were the best option and they were selling for $20-$25 a step. I bought 5 on a over center buckle in 2018 for $125.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Found the Cranford EZY Scaffold finally but it’s unavailable online, along with any information lol. https://ezy-saddle-scaffold.ecwid.com/

I like the wild edge steps. They provide you a way up the tree and with a platform when you get to your preferred hunting height. You can use three of them to make a "ring" around the tree and IMO would be more comfortable than the ring of steps. What ever you choose, stay safe and good luck tagging a monster.

Been practicing from my new Bullman ROS. I find them very well built and adequate and for me they are much more versatile than a platform. I can scurry around the tree like a squirrel on meth!

Back