• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ring Of Steps

Rangemasterx

I just ordered my new Helium Hawk saddle and a set of his 20” mini sticks. I don’t really have the extra $$$ to spend on a platform before hunting season. Have any of y’all had or used the Ring Of Steps?

I just ordered my new Helium Hawk saddle and a set of his 20” mini sticks. I don’t really have the extra $$$ to spend on a platform before hunting season. Have any of y’all had or used the Ring Of Steps?
I have one but haven't used it yet. Probably not gonna be much help, but I know those that love them, don't want nothing to do with a platform. Those that hate them wont even consider using one. I'm hoping I fall in the middle, or more towards loving them. They're so damn compact it's hard not to love the idea of them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use a ROS. Its my preferred method personally, but that's all I used last year and will be again this year. Packability, lightweight and versatility. Not saying you can't do the same thing with a platform. I just prefer a ROS. I will say with a ROS, stiff boots are a must or your arches are going to kill after a couple of hours in the stand. Before I got a good pair of boots last year, I was using a pair of trail running shoes and I wouldn't recommend it.

This is my first year as well & I went with SquirrelSteps from DanO with the sewn OCB.
After a few hunts now I'm very happy with the choice - ultra compact & light, nice having steps around the tree.
I agree hard soled boots are important, even then I have to adjust my feet from time to time.
Also, the steps move slightly, especially when you first step on them. It could be I can't get them tight enough with the sewn OCB.
I wrapped them in camo form, but it takes a beating from my boots & the tree.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

This is my first year as well & I went with SquirrelSteps from DanO with the sewn OCB.
After a few hunts now I'm very happy with the choice - ultra compact & light, nice having steps around the tree.
I agree hard soled boots are important, even then I have to adjust my feet from time to time.
Also, the steps move slightly, especially when you first step on them. It could be I can't get them tight enough with the sewn OCB.

I wrapped mine in camo Vetwrap from Tractor supply, but I also have to rewrap mine after the seasons over. I wasn't getting mine very tight and then I started camming the strap over twice. Do it once to kind of "set the bark" of the tree, pull it free and cam it again and then I haven't had an issue. is like a 5 second process and its rock solid after that. I don't have to do it on every tree, but ones with a looser, "shaggier" bark I do.

I saw you talking about them and looked them up. I’m guessing the whole set up with 4 steps and strap is around $125?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw you talking about them and looked them up. I’m guessing the whole set up with 4 steps and strap is around $125?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah - a bit pricey, but they are super light & compact. And cheaper than a platform.
I got 5 steps, but could do without the 5th one one most trees. And you can always add it later.

Back