• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rit Dyemore Dye to Fix the Yellow Trucker Strap

Would it be doable for the mesh part of the Crüzr XC? Chad recommended that stuff and advised against Sharpies because they might damage the mesh.

Good to know. Im about to try and dye some climbing rope. But its 100% polyester sheath. Is that strap nylon? I got a feeling its gonna be the same as that orange pin line on yours.

Good to know. Im about to try and dye some climbing rope. But its 100% polyester sheath. Is that strap nylon? I got a feeling its gonna be the same as that orange pin line on yours.
The strap is labeled as polyester webbing.

Since there is some interest, here are the details. I bought the dye at Michaels craft store. The chocolate brown seems to be the only color they have locally in the Dyemore(tm) type of dye, specifically to dye polyester. I put three 12 oz cups of water, a squirt of Dawn(tm) dishwashing liquid, about 1/6 of the bottle of dye and the strap in a 24 quart SS stockpot and heated it till it was steaming. They recommend above 200F for 30 to 60 minutes with constant stirring. I went 60 minutes and stirred constantly for about the first 15 minutes and every few minutes thereafter. The liquid did not cover the strap so I kept rotating the strap with the pot tilted to get it all covered. I took the strap out put it in a 5 gallon bucket and rinsed it about 5 times with cold water. There was a very slight trace of dye still coming off the strap. I saved the liquid to try dying another strap. I want to buy some regular Rit dye in black and see how it works on polyester. They say polyester needs the Dyemore(tm) dye to work so that is why I used it here.

I was looking into this about a month ago to die some polyester sterling rope. "Canyonprime".

I was worried about the temperature. Polyester is fine at this temp for that long? I trust you looked into that first. Just curious. For 5 bucks a bottle cant hurt to try on some smaller pieces first i guess.

Nice work!

I was looking into this about a month ago to die some polyester sterling rope. "Canyonprime".

I was worried about the temperature. Polyester is fine at this temp for that long? I trust you looked into that first. Just curious. For 5 bucks a bottle cant hurt to try on some smaller pieces first i guess.

Nice work!
I just assumed it wouldn't be a problem since the directions specified 200F (around 90C) solution temperature and water boils at 100C or 212F.
Polyester has a melting point of 260C according to

Dyneema has a melting point of around 130C and I saw advisories on heating it to >100C.
I tried to dye some other strap with the dye solution I had left over. It did not dye well. I will post pictures after dinner.

Last edited:
The used dye solution seemed plenty dark so I put another strap in it outside for a few hours.

It wasn't getting dark so I thought heat was necessary and put it in a SS pot and on the stove for an hour at steaming temps.

Result compared to yesterday's dye and an un-dyed strap I was using for sewing practice.

The large strap I put in the washing machine for quick wash before dying and left it wet. Today's strap I did not. This could be the difference but I think the dye is used up in the strap and other non-absorbed ingredients make the solution dark. These are different straps as well. I think they are both polyester but they could be different. I will try fresh dye next time.

Ready to try this... if it works ill be pretty stoked.Screenshot_20200717-200011_Gallery.jpg i got 100ft of CanyonPrime for 60 bucks. Nice and flexible 8.5mm rope. Not as soft or strong as oplux but it packs well and if I can get it more of a muddied brown color it should be great. I'll update soon.

Ready to try this... if it works ill be pretty stoked.View attachment 30398 i got 100ft of CanyonPrime for 60 bucks. Nice and flexible 8.5mm rope. Not as soft or strong as oplux but it packs well and if I can get it more of a muddied brown color it should be great. I'll update soon.
Yes. That's what I used. I think I described what I did fully. I bought more of this dye in chocolate brown a few days ago. The only other color they had was sandstone, just a lighter brown. I could use less chocolate and probably get lighter.

45 min. In the dye on a stove top stirring and sweating (no kitchen fan). I used 3 gallons of water, a tsp of dish soap, and a whole bottle of dye. Its still wet so probably not that dark. I'm happy with it. Thanks for the tip @bj139

45 min. In the dye on a stove top stirring and sweating (no kitchen fan). I used 3 gallons of water, a tsp of dish soap, and a whole bottle of dye. Its still wet so probably not that dark. I'm happy with it. Thanks for the tip @bj139
Your rope looks nice. White or yellow are no longer an obstacle to our selection of climbing materials. ;)

Last edited:
Be careful with this. I contacted Sterling about this a while back regarding dying OpLux and they recommended against it. They said the temperature of the dye could affect the integrity of the rope.

Possibly, it was just a CYA response, but that is what they told me.

Back