• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Road King to Colorado

Gumbymedic

Leaving Saturday on my Road King Special and heading out to Colorado to visit my son before he deploys to Afghanistan. I've had very little time to plan out this trip. I do plan to go through western Ohio, Kentucky, NW Tennessee, northern Arkansas, Oklahoma, very North Texas (by Amarillo), and the NE corner of New Mexico before I turn north to Colorado Springs. I try to avoid highways at all costs. (Hard to see America at 70+ mph). If any of you guys know of any "must see" places along the way, I would like to hear from you. If any of you live along the route and have a Cruzr (size 2 or 3) or a Phantom that you'd be willing to let me try for a few minutes... :smiley:
20200511_225128.jpg20200511_225353.jpg

Last edited:
Devils tower in eastern Montana, and of course the needles, the bad lands, Custer state park and the town of Deadwood for a steak. The west is a great place to ride especially for a eastern flatlander like myself.

Man, I miss Colorado Springs. I lived there for 3 years. I'll keep dreaming of a way to get back out there. I'm in SW Ohio if you come through. I'll buy you a coffee or smoke some ribs for you.

Devils tower in eastern Montana, and of course the needles, the bad lands, Custer state park and the town of Deadwood for a steak. The west is a great place to ride especially for a eastern flatlander like myself.
You are correct. I did a road trip to Yellowstone for my 50th birthday and went through the Badlands, Sturgis (she's a Harley and she wanted to go), Deadwood, Needles, Black Hills, Devils Tower, Yellowstone of course, and Beartooth Highway on the way out. 4000+ miles, 14 states over 15 days. The best riding I've ever done. This time I'm heading South. I can add some more states to the list but I don't have as much time to ride.

Leaving Saturday on my Road King Special and heading out to Colorado to visit my son before he deploys to Afghanistan. I've had very little time to plan out this trip. I do plan to go through western Ohio, Kentucky, NW Tennessee, northern Arkansas, Oklahoma, very North Texas (by Amarillo), and the NE corner of New Mexico before I turn north to Colorado Springs. I try to avoid highways at all costs. (Hard to see America at 70+ mph). If any of you guys know of any "must see" places along the way, I would like to hear from you. If any of you live along the route and have a Cruzr (size 2 or 3) or a Phantom that you'd be willing to let me try for a few minutes... :smiley:
View attachment 28120View attachment 28122
Safe travels. Keep the shiny side up!

Just an fyi..
Devils Tower is in Wyoming not MT.
Custer State park is cool. Its right beside Mt Rushmore so you can kill 2 birds with one stone.
If you get over towards Yellowstone, Cody WY is a nice town and its close to the Bear Tooth Hwy, and Chief Joseph hwy...2 of the most stunning roads in the USA.
The southern tier of Utah is also incredible. Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, and Arches national parks are all connected by scenic highways.
North Rim Grand Canyon is awesome and not as crowded as the South Rim.
Monument Valley is worth seeing and if you are in northeast AZ, check out Canyon DeChelly.

Just an fyi..
Devils Tower is in Wyoming not MT.
Custer State park is cool. Its right beside Mt Rushmore so you can kill 2 birds with one stone.
If you get over towards Yellowstone, Cody WY is a nice town and its close to the Bear Tooth Hwy, and Chief Joseph hwy...2 of the most stunning roads in the USA.
The southern tier of Utah is also incredible. Zion, Bryce Canyon, Capitol Reef, Canyonlands, and Arches national parks are all connected by scenic highways.
North Rim Grand Canyon is awesome and not as crowded as the South Rim.
Monument Valley is worth seeing and if you are in northeast AZ, check out Canyon DeChelly.
I stand corrected, Eastern Wyoming. Thank you Tom.

So, I guess there's nothing remarkable to see in Kentucky, NW Tennessee, northern Arkansas, Oklahoma, very North Texas (by Amarillo), or the NE corner of New Mexico?

So, I guess there's nothing remarkable to see in Kentucky, NW Tennessee, northern Arkansas, Oklahoma, very North Texas (by Amarillo), or the NE corner of New Mexico?
I went to the Big Texan steak house in Amarillo you can get a 72 oz steak challenge. Most from that area will tell you it's not the best steak you can get in that area.

A tourist destination called the cadillac ranch off of Rt. 40 in Amarillo. 10 caddies buried half stickin up out of the ground. If you bring spray paint you can graffiti the cars?

I went to the Big Texan steak house in Amarillo you can get a 72 oz steak challenge. Most from that area will tell you it's not the best steak you can get in that area.
72 oz! Holy crap! I think if I tried that it would make my bike way too top heavy o_O
Any word on what the Best steak in that area is?

A tourist destination called the cadillac ranch off of Rt. 40 in Amarillo. 10 caddies buried half stickin up out of the ground. If you bring spray paint you can graffiti the cars?
Cadillac Ranch is now on my list...thanks!

Mesa Verde National Part is a must see.

fixedw_large_4x.jpg

Back