• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope Choice for SRT/MRS climbing

parsnip

Hey All,

I've been practicing DRT/MRS climbing in my saddle w/ my friend's tree work rope, and I'm sold. But I want my own rope.

I'm looking for it to be:
  • Safe and adequately wear resistant to hold up over a limb
  • Light and compact
  • compatible w/ using a blake's hitch (I like the knots more than the mechanicals for now, though I've got some ropemen for my tether and lineman's belt)
I'm thinking of getting either 80' of:
  • Sampson Velocity Hot (it is orange)
    • Pros
      • Light and compact (11 mm; 5.6#/100')
      • Arborists love it.
    • Cons
      • Bright orange (I think I'm ok w/ this, as I'd likely be pulling it up after me, and as I understand it, deer don't see that color variation)
  • Sampson Predator (the common choice here)
    • Pro
      • Hunters love it
      • Camo
    • Cons
      • Heavy and bulky in comparison to the velocity (11.4 mm; 6.7#/100')
Any users out there have thoughts?

Josh

Hey All,

I've been practicing DRT/MRS climbing in my saddle w/ my friend's tree work rope, and I'm sold. But I want my own rope.

I'm looking for it to be:
  • Safe and adequately wear resistant to hold up over a limb
  • Light and compact
  • compatible w/ using a blake's hitch (I like the knots more than the mechanicals for now, though I've got some ropemen for my tether and lineman's belt)
I'm thinking of getting either 80' of:
  • Sampson Velocity Hot (it is orange)
    • Pros
      • Light and compact (11 mm; 5.6#/100')
      • Arborists love it.
    • Cons
      • Bright orange (I think I'm ok w/ this, as I'd likely be pulling it up after me, and as I understand it, deer don't see that color variation)
  • Sampson Predator (the common choice here)
    • Pro
      • Hunters love it
      • Camo
    • Cons
      • Heavy and bulky in comparison to the velocity (11.4 mm; 6.7#/100')
Any users out there have thoughts?

Josh
To me, 1lb and .4 mm is hardly heavy and bulky in comparison. For 80' you're looking at 4.5 vs 5.4lbs. Also .4mm is ~1/64"(.015") to the diameter or 1/128" (.007") around the whole rope. That would be like wrapping two pieces of standard printer paper around the rope for perspective. Cost difference is .93 vs 1.08 or 74.4 vs 86.4 ~$12

For me these are so similar it would come down to color.

I currently have predator rope and have been satisfied with it; however, I have nothing to compare it to. If you do get the velocity please share your review of it.

I have been DRT/SRT climbing with predator for just about a month now without any complaints.

Last edited:
I would get any certified rope at the best price. They are so similar that it is not worth worrying about details. Get one big enough that you feel comfortable climbing on it. I currently use Edelweiss Sella and it is big enough for me to feel safe and small enough to be fairly compact.

Thanks both for this. Do you think I could DRT/MRS on something that is so skinny (i.e. 8.5 mm?). I'd love to go as light and skinny as possible, while being safe. I'm not going up and down all the time for the joy of climbing, so I'd be ok w/ some trade of re: comfort in my hands for nimbleness and light weight. But I don't want to fall...

Also, as an aside, 1# lighter actually makes a difference for me, when it comes to gear. I get a special joy from light and compact. I think it comes from my time distance hiking and leading trips.

Thanks all,

J

Thanks both for this. Do you think I could DRT/MRS on something that is so skinny (i.e. 8.5 mm?). I'd love to go as light and skinny as possible, while being safe. I'm not going up and down all the time for the joy of climbing, so I'd be ok w/ some trade of re: comfort in my hands for nimbleness and light weight. But I don't want to fall...

Also, as an aside, 1# lighter actually makes a difference for me, when it comes to gear. I get a special joy from light and compact. I think it comes from my time distance hiking and leading trips.

Thanks all,

J
Go with oplux or 5/16 Samson ultratek then. It’s smaller OD and compact ability sounds more in line with what you want. You’ll still be able to use knots and hitches. I’m not versed on mechanical devices for that size rope though. I know kong Duck is one of those that will work for the smaller rope.

Go with oplux or 5/16 Samson ultratek then. It’s smaller OD and compact ability sounds more in line with what you want. You’ll still be able to use knots and hitches. I’m not versed on mechanical devices for that size rope though. I know kong Duck is one of those that will work for the smaller rope.
I agree with this. I am planning on buying some Oplux for SRT but I wouldn't save much over the 8.5mm I use now. Can I spend the $70 to $80 on something I need more? I haven't DRTed much and I needed a foot ascender to get up the rope. Pulling the thinner rope would not be as comfortable as thicker. It is all a trade off. I used a GriGri and a Petzl hand ascender on the 8mm rope I own and had no issues. The breaking strength of that was probably too low for safety if I fell so I went to 8.5mm. I felt some Oplux at the North Central PA Saddle Meetup organized by @Shane6491 and it felt really good, no noticeable stretch and soft in the hand.

I agree with this. I am planning on buying some Oplux for SRT but I wouldn't save much over the 8.5mm I use now. Can I spend the $70 to $80 on something I need more? I haven't DRTed much and I needed a foot ascender to get up the rope. Pulling the thinner rope would not be as comfortable as thicker. It is all a trade off. I used a GriGri and a Petzl hand ascender on the 8mm rope I own and had no issues. The breaking strength of that was probably too low for safety if I fell so I went to 8.5mm. I felt some Oplux at the North Central PA Saddle Meetup organized by @Shane6491 and it felt really good, no noticeable stretch and soft in the hand.
I’m ordering oplux very soon. Love the packability if it.

I just realized I made a mistake. I titled it SRT/MRS, but I meant DRT/MRS. Not SRT. I'm not seeing folks using skinny line (8.5-10mm) for DRT/MRS. Is it just because it is no fun to tug on it? Or is it dangerous?

I believe the arborist industry has minimum rope diameter as well as strength. Rubbing thin rope against a tree may be more dangerous than thicker rope.

I tried oplux for DRT it worked good with the knots and it’s a lot less bulk and weight but I decided to go back to 11.4 mm predator rope for long term wear and also while climbing the larger 11.4mm is a Better hand hold when advancing the rope.
I did notice the oplux wanted to tangle more than the predator rope but it had fewer climbs on it so that may not be a issue long term.
I’m not saying it won’t work I just prefer 11.4mm predator rope for this application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks all! Just an update: I got the velocity. So far I like it. Light and compact compared to the old safety blue I was learning on, w better hand feel. It slips w a 2/2 Blake’s but not a 3/2, so that’s what I’m using. It is bright orange, but I don’t mind. I plan on pulling it up after me. Also, slips just fine through a 4’ section of 1” climb spec webbing as a compact friction saver. Works well. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks all! Just an update: I got the velocity. So far I like it. Light and compact compared to the old safety blue I was learning on, w better hand feel. It slips w a 2/2 Blake’s but not a 3/2, so that’s what I’m using. It is bright orange, but I don’t mind. I plan on pulling it up after me. Also, slips just fine through a 4’ section of 1” climb spec webbing as a compact friction saver. Works well. Thanks for all your help.
Great idea for the friction saver. Can you pull it up to the crotch with a slip knot? Does it hold in the crotch?

I tie a slip knot below it, that will untie if I tug on the side of the rope that is following. Once the webbing slides through the crotch, I give a tug, and the knot releases. So far, the webbing stays right there in the crotch. It’s a little scuffed up, but seems like it will last a season or two. And at .55/foot, I don’t mind buying a new one each year. Also, it just stays on the rope when I’m done.

Hey all, quick update: Friction saver: I no longer use the slip not. The webbing saver is just fuzzy enough that it stops in the crotch. Like magic, it stays where I want it. And Velocity Rope: So far I like it. I haven't used poison ivy or predator, but I'll say any more bulk would bum me out. It is right on the edge of too big for me, and making me wonder about a 40' section of oplux, a hand ascender and a safeguard...

Back