• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope mod for Hawk Helium sticks

Deerdad365

I was given the advice to you is 10 mm rope for the Rope mods on my Hawk helium sticks can I get that rope from Lowe's or Home Depot

The size that was recommended to me was 8mm climbing accessory cord. I picked up some from REI and it’s working great. I don’t think you’d be able to use 10mm rope and most definitely, don’t use anything they sell at Lowe’s or Home Depot. you want a rope that is climbing rated. Your life is worth it.

I would use Amsteel Blue it’s much lighter and just as strong. Super easy to splice a loop in the end. Made a did out of a knitting needle bought at Wallyworld for $3. I made mine about 9’ long. Cut Amsteel to 10’ as the approximately 10-12” used for the loop. Google or search this site for Amsteel rope mod. G2 outdoors has an excellent video on this along with many others. I wish I would’ve modded my sticks with Amsteel years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used 1/4” from Dutchware. I bought the black because the gray fades to almost a silver color. Black is like a dark gray color. I used a 9mm knitting needle and cut it on an angle as a fid. G2 Outdoors VIDEO:

Super easy to do. I made mine 9’ long but that is a bit long. I do go up in some big based trees. Search Amsteel rope stick mod here or google. Make sure you get Amsteel Blue (not the color the specific brand/style) as opposed to just Amsteel.

Thankyou for the advice and help.
I went to REI and picked up some 8mm accessory rope and tried it out after work today. Worked great.
I will look into the amsteel blue.

Hey guys. Just wanted to share what I did recently with my Hawk Helium’s. There’s a lot of guys running rope mod with Amsteel. I decided to make a UCR mod (Utility Constrictor Rope). So I had some 7/64” black Amsteel and a bunch of Endura Dyneema rope in same size but in blue. This little rig holds up nicely! I have a spliced brummel lock on each end. This is perfect for the versa button. I keep one on the versa and then go around tree. Take the slack out and loop the other versa button on. Then pull the cord tight and set the stick. Done! See photo. This was just a test. Worked great! I hunted out of saddle using this set up 2 x and no issues. I’m going to dye the ropes black. I have some ritt dye left from my ghillie suit I made. Adjustments.jpg

ap_rustic_creations, where is the adjustment in that setup? Other rope mods I've seen have one brummel splice and then the other end loops under and around the versa button. I've never spliced: seems interesting, but might take a lot of time to do eight splices.

Hey. Sorry for delay. Been extremely busy due this bullshit COVID mess. There’s a pull string that you pull towards back and it will tighten. I’m moving away from this mod to the daisy chain. Making them as I write this.

The size that was recommended to me was 8mm climbing accessory cord. I picked up some from REI and it’s working great. I don’t think you’d be able to use 10mm rope and most definitely, don’t use anything they sell at Lowe’s or Home Depot. you want a rope that is climbing rated. Your life is worth it.
Agree. Nothing from lowes or home depot or pretty much any home building stores would work

I was about to order rope for the rope mod but then I tried just using the original strap from the Hawk Heliums without the clamp portion. It works perfectly. Apparently, I'm not the only one who tried this with success. Here is a video. I didn't use the half hitch...instead I wrapped it around a second time and that really locks it in. I think this is actually more secure than those original clamps...and faster to boot. I've had them slip and the stick slide down as I climbed them. With it locked wrapped around it doesn't move.

Agree. Nothing from lowes or home depot or pretty much any home building stores would work
Slick tip if you have a harbor freight near u there winch cord is $27 for 50ft of amsteel. I switched from the blue 8mm from rei to it. I know it sounds crazy but I can barely feel the weight from the amsteel vs the 8mm. Yeah not much weight difference it would seem but for some reason it's a nice upgrade

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Slick tip if you have a harbor freight near u there winch cord is $27 for 50ft of amsteel. I switched from the blue 8mm from rei to it. I know it sounds crazy but I can barely feel the weight from the amsteel vs the 8mm. Yeah not much weight difference it would seem but for some reason it's a nice upgrade

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
The negative reviews on that HF winch rope are downright frightening. I think I'd rather pay a bit more for a reliable Amsteel source.

"In a pinch I bought this product for the winch on my 4 Wheeler to lift a 75lb snow plow as the steel cable broke after 4 years of use. I bought this one and put it on without issue and worked a total of 3 times. I have live in the city and have a relatively short driveway and after using this winch cable 3 times it broke. Save yourself the headache, time, and trip to the store and buy a steel cable!"

Watched a couple youtube videos...seems like either 1/4 or 7/64 Amsteel is the go to sizes for the Climbing Stick Rope Mod. I suppose they both work fine. load limit 1/4 7000lbs whereas 7/64 about 1500 lbs. Of course the thicker rope might be easier to handle?
/?

I'm going to try the 7MM sterling accsesory cord. My plan is to put a loop in the line several inches past the versa button connection, so after I go around the tree I'll go through the loop twice and pull tight to make a self locking truckers hitch. Add a half hitch at the button and call it good.

I prefer 1/4" Amsteel, easy to splice and easy to work with. Before splicing my loop I start with 80 inches. I use about 10" in making my loop for the versa button. I also add a loop of 1/8" bungie cord on the tail end for anchoring the rope when wrapped up for transporting.

Thankyou for the advice and help.
I went to REI and picked up some 8mm accessory rope and tried it out after work today. Worked great.
I will look into the amsteel blue.
I get all my ropes from EWO, but use the winch line off Amazon…..1/4, 5/16” used for all kinds of stuff from secondary bridge (yes, my rappelling bridge) my stick cord, to connecting my OCB To my platform. I got a spool of 1/8th” I use for accesssory cord and a DIY adjustable binoculars strap. I also bought my cam cleats from Amazon. BTW- You picked a great set of sticks to modify! A single step aider on each stick is an ez peezy mod too! I 1 stick climb with a full length helium stick and love it.

Go on esty and look up the amsteel guy or Scott’s chain aiders. Whole galaxy of rope mods to choose from. I suppose you could make your own, these guys are pros tho and they’re not terribly expensive. I run 6.5 and 6 foot amsteel rope mods and haven’t encountered a tree I wanted to climb and couldn’t. Keep the tree a basket ball size and your golden.

Back