• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rope recommendation for cutting bulk

Outdoorsman33

Wanting to cut down on bulk on my tether and ropes I was wondering what everyone likes to use. I have ropeman 1’s id like stay with. Any recommendations on good all around ropes that’ll work with ropeman 1 and would work good for some srt climbing?

I just purchased an 8mm oplux line from Wild Edge to switch out my tether.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Wanting to cut down on bulk on my tether and ropes I was wondering what everyone likes to use. I have ropeman 1’s id like stay with. Any recommendations on good all around ropes that’ll work with ropeman 1 and would work good for some srt climbing?
Hit up Eastern Woods Outdoors, @DanO has some 10mm that should work. If you're wanting to go smaller consider switching your ascender or going friction hitch.

^^^ This!

If keeping with the ropeman I’d go 10mm HTP. Can SRT with $35 htp rope.

Oplux with TRC prusik from DanO doublestep plus use Petzl Spirit screwlock carabiners that are small.

Would the sterling c-IV canyon rope work for a tether and linesman’s too while running a ropeman 1? Anyone using the sterling canyon c-IV canyon rope?

Would the sterling c-IV canyon rope work for a tether and linesman’s too while running a ropeman 1? Anyone using the sterling canyon c-IV canyon rope?

I use c-IV for my SRT set up. It’s in spec with SafeGaurd but technically not for ropeman since it’s 9mm. It’s a great rope. Those ropeman 1s are SWEET... but... it limits the use of some SWEET ropes!

What @Aaronpaul14 said. Ropeman 1 is rated down to 10mm. If you want to go smaller like the canyon should look into other ascenders like the safeguard or kong duck

I want to use that safeguard for srt too but would like the fact of having all the same rope type for everything just for personal preference. What advantage does the C-IV canyon rope have over the static HTP?

I want to use that safeguard for srt too but would like the fact of having all the same rope type for everything just for personal preference. What advantage does the C-IV canyon rope have over the static HTP?

C-IV is a more flexible 9mm rope than HTPs 9mm and 10mm sizes. Mostly it’s more packable. I guess CIV also is better suited for wet and freezing scenarios too.

Out of curiosity. What length tree tether are most of you using? Thinking about trying out some of the 10mm from eastern woods. Think it is smaller than the rope I am using from a safety line I cut to use as my tether. Just want to make sure I have enough length but don't over do it.

Out of curiosity. What length tree tether are most of you using? Thinking about trying out some of the 10mm from eastern woods. Think it is smaller than the rope I am using from a safety line I cut to use as my tether. Just want to make sure I have enough length but don't over do it.
I just replaced my tether and lineman’s yesterday with 10mm HTP from @DanO. I asked him to cut both at 11ft. After putting in all the knots, each of them has the same length as the originals, which was plenty for me during the last two hunting seasons.

Also, did a quick practice climb with the new lineman's and tether this morning. I like the less bulky rope but stiffer than the old ones. Perfect for me. Less than 2 months till season opening. Can't wait.

I believe from end of loop to stopper knot I'm 8 feet for both tether and lineman's lanyard.

Back