• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman 1 Ascender: YES or NO???

Juengels24

Is it worth upgrading to the ropeman 1 for the mantis saddle: tether and lineman?? Pro’s / Con’s???

Attachments

• 1FE67F3C-6853-441E-BF63-0E2E16AE6DC1.png
    1FE67F3C-6853-441E-BF63-0E2E16AE6DC1.png
    721.4 KB · Views: 53
Is it worth upgrading to the ropeman 1 for the mantis saddle: tether and lineman?? Pro’s / Con’s???

Pros everything
Cons.....none really
Watch the vids on YouTube
Great piece that spent a lot of this hunting season out of stock everywhere
That should tell u something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get at least one for the your lineman's belt. I have two, one on my lineman's belt and another one on my tether. One of the best pieces of saddle gear ever made!!!

Pro's: easy one handed use

Con's: Mechanical, not fall rated

I used RM1's for a while but a tended distel hitch works just as well. While tending (mechanical or non mechanical) is borderline required for a lineman's belt, it's not necessary on your tether.

Get at least one for the your lineman's belt. I have two, one on my lineman's belt and another one on my tether. I really love them and will not go back to anything else.

I figured out that if I feed my lineman’s belt tag end through the caribiner that connects to the prusik that the prusik becomes self tending and I can adjust in both directions with one hand. Works way better than the ropeman for me.

I still carry the ropeman as a backup device and it works as a progress capture pulley to haul gear up.

I installed a prusik tender on my kestrel (lineman's belt and tree strap) and don't feel the need for a ropeman. Mine was the eye to eye kit for aerohunter, but I don't currently see it offered on their website.

I have one on my linesman belt and love it. I have one on my tether and I don't feel safe with it, I'm switching back to a prusik and tender.

The only downside is they are not fall rated. I do leave a prusik on my tether and run it though the biner just as a back up, even though I fully trust my ropeman. I have two, one on my tether and one on my linemans.

The only downside is they are not fall rated. I do leave a prusik on my tether and run it though the biner just as a back up, even though I fully trust my ropeman. I have two, one on my tether and one on my linemans.

Tag end of my tether I tie in a loop and clip into the biner as a backup also
If the ropeman1 was to fail it will catch u
Chances of that are slim to most likely not to happen
You can also us a CT RollNLock if you’re worried about the rope man failing
It doubles as a pulley if u ever desire

Tag end of my tether I tie in a loop and clip into the biner as a backup also
If the ropeman1 was to fail it will catch u
Chances of that are slim to most likely not to happen
You can also us a CT RollNLock if you’re worried about the rope man failing
It doubles as a pulley if u ever desire

I know the chances are very slim, it is more of a mental thing than anything else. :) I do risk analysis stuff in my day job so it is the way I am programmed to think.

I know the chances are very slim, it is more of a mental thing than anything else. :)

Lol I agree man! I love feeling safe
I’m 6’5” 260 lbs so i don’t tend to feel safe with much other than relying on myself
I’ve tied the tag end since day one because it feels safe
I’m glad to see others doing it and there is a “tag end help” thread going with some other good ideas here

YES, buy it and try it. If you dont like it or dont feel safe with it you can sell it and get your money back.

I prefer a friction knot of any type over a ropeman. The ropeman is not rated or designed to be used as a single anchor point, or for shock loading. The chances of a failure are slim, but the testing done on them shows the failure would be it severing the rope at rather low KN numbers, not "slipping" so tying the tail end to your saddle or harness isn't really going to help...

They're also heavy and expensive. No need to complicate things more in my opinion.

I love the ropeman 1 much more now that I have a ropeman 2 on my Oplux tether and I do not like the 2 at all. Snags a lot and is not easy to adjust. I would rather a prussic than a ropeman 2. I will be using the Ropeman 1 next year with my Oplux tether even tho its out of spec.

I prefer a friction knot of any type over a ropeman. The ropeman is not rated or designed to be used as a single anchor point, or for shock loading. The chances of a failure are slim, but the testing done on them shows the failure would be it severing the rope at rather low KN numbers, not "slipping" so tying the tail end to your saddle or harness isn't really going to help...

I can say I don't think of this sitting in a tree with all the time in the world to ponder...And the Dang thing is literally right in front of your nose :fearscream:

If I move away from a ropeman it will be because I’m running Oplux.

Looks like I’ll be buying two of them. For sure one for the lineman’s belt. Thanks for the input.

I've seen this issue come up a bunch of times in the last year or so. I'm a noob, but I found a YouTube video that convinced me to skip the Ropeman on the tether. Keep in mind the guy on the right has something like 20+ years as a professional tree climber (arborist).

Last edited:
Back