• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ropeman observation...YIKES!

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
So I traveled around the tree a few minutes ago to change comfort positions and I noticed that the ropeman lever was up against the tree. Im not sure if it could have released with just a little more pressure or if the bark structure was slightly different, but when I laid eyes on it, I definitely had a pucker moment.
Might need to make some sort of keeper that prevents an accidental, full release.
Be careful!
b6a834900f915b2d7725dbdbc6ba3f52.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

scary no doubt but you could only go until it unhooks from the bark and re grips the rope. But yeh a pucker moment nonetheless
I don't want any surprises when I'm in a tree.
And if it released and I fell in just the wrong direction, it might be possible the lever may not free itself and not grab.
Btw, I dont put my stopper knot at the end of my tether.
I tie a new slip knot for each hang at the closest possible point under the ropeman. So, I may not fall to the ground but I could get injured on a broadhead, edge of the platform, step, etc.
And any of that COULD happen when positioning for a shot.
Just thought I would share the experience.

You might want to consider just tying a prussik loop around your tether above the ropeman and then connect into the caribiner. That would stop you if the ropeman gave way....

I don't want any surprises when I'm in a tree.
And if it released and I fell in just the wrong direction, it might be possible the lever may not free itself and not grab.
Btw, I dont put my stopper knot at the end of my tether.
I tie a new slip knot for each hang at the closest possible point under the ropeman. So, I may not fall to the ground but I could get injured on a broadhead, edge of the platform, step, etc.
And any of that COULD happen when positioning for a shot.
Just thought I would share the experience.

Thanks for sharing

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
And that's why you should have redundancy in all of your systems. Minimum is a stopper knot.

I also think you can put the wire on the biner and that will stop it from opening (at least make it very difficult to open accidentally).

Last edited:
Reactions: PJC
You might want to consider just tying a prussik loop around your tether above the ropeman and then connect into the caribiner. That would stop you if the ropeman gave way....
If I did that then I wouldn't need the ropeman. Ropeman is a requirement IMO on the linemans belt for one handed operation, but for the tether, a prussik is probably sufficient. I may rethink that part of my rig.

It should actually be adding more pressure to keeping it closed. Your pivoting off of a point not moving down the tree. Not sure if I would be okay with that but your probably not going to go very far. As soon as you moved down at all it would pull loose and catch you again without hardly moving. Still scary though.

If I did that then I wouldn't need the ropeman. Ropeman is a requirement IMO on the linemans belt for one handed operation, but for the tether, a prussik is probably sufficient. I may rethink that part of my rig.

I've used both. I just use a long loop for the prussik and have it above. It still allows for one handed adjustment using a mechanical ascender. But, a prussik is (IMO) sufficient on a tether...probably preferable to just a mechanical ascender from a safety perspective. It's just once they get loaded, they are hard to adjust, esp with one hand.

Reactions: PJC
Glad nothing bad happened. I switched from a Ropeman 1 to a prussik on my tether and another prussik to back it up. That way, if I have a problem I can transfer loads to self rescue. I keep another two prussik cords and biners clipped to my saddle long enough to slip my boot in if I need to ascend the rope or rescue. Always prepare for the worst, expect the best. And I know it takes some time but TRAIN on some oh sh!t scenarios. Example, set a step at ground level and load your linesman belt in a simulated fall. It sucks way more than you think it does, and I would pucker up if it happened above 10 feet. A lot easier to solve problems you have solved before.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I noticed Ted from Hunting Public had the Ropeman set up in the upside down configuration. Was looking for the manual to confirm the use case but didn’t find it yet. Anyway, something worth considering as well.

It should actually be adding more pressure to keeping it closed. Your pivoting off of a point not moving down the tree. Not sure if I would be okay with that but your probably not going to go very far. As soon as you moved down at all it would pull loose and catch you again without hardly moving. Still scary though.
You had to be here. Combination of things...
The position of my girth hitch, and the wrap around (on the tree) of my tether, coupled with ridges in the bark could have released the ropeman on 1 of 1,000 times. Couple that with the direction I would have fallen MAY have prevented the rm from grabbing until it hit my stopper knot. Only about a 10 inch fall, but I really don't want to clean poop out of my pants when I'm hunting.
Just thought I would share what I saw. I doubt anyone would have been comfortable seeing that on their rig.

I have also witnessed this type of thing with a kong triangle. I noticed that while moving around the tree and throughout the hunt, my kong triangle was starting to unscrew. I use a second tether but check this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I traveled around the tree a few minutes ago to change comfort positions and I noticed that the ropeman lever was up against the tree. Im not sure if it could have released with just a little more pressure or if the bark structure was slightly different, but when I laid eyes on it, I definitely had a pucker moment.
Might need to make some sort of keeper that prevents an accidental, full release.
Be careful!
b6a834900f915b2d7725dbdbc6ba3f52.jpg

I don't think "Like " is the right response, but thanks for the heads up.

I use a RM1 on my linemans and a prussic on the tether with a prussic tender. It's really easy to adjust the prussic if/when needed... especially when using a platform. Initially I went this route because I was too cheap to buy two RM1s but I haven't found the need for a RM on the tether so I stayed with this set up.

First season in the saddle for me, but I have not found that I adjust my tether enough to warrant putting a RM1 on it. I like it just fine with the prussic. Might add a second prussic after this conversation though.

Thanks!

You had to be here. Combination of things...
The position of my girth hitch, and the wrap around (on the tree) of my tether, coupled with ridges in the bark could have released the ropeman on 1 of 1,000 times. Couple that with the direction I would have fallen MAY have prevented the rm from grabbing until it hit my stopper knot. Only about a 10 inch fall, but I really don't want to clean poop out of my pants when I'm hunting.
Just thought I would share what I saw. I doubt anyone would have been comfortable seeing that on their rig.

Thanks for sharing. Keeps us all paying attention.

Back