• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

ROS vs Platform feeling secure?

Sambow300

Disclaimer, I'm a total newbie, never worn a saddle or tried a platform or ROS. I am looking into all these methods and figuring out where to start especially with what I want to stand on, the only thing I have in my possession currently is a set of Hawk Heliums.

In my head I think standing on a ROS would keep me closer to the tree and more contact to the tree with my legs, which I think would make me feel a little safer/secure than standing out on a platform. Am I totally wrong/crazy? What is your guys experience between the two on how they made you feel? FYI I'm a 5'3 woman if that makes any difference :)

i like both i feel i can get around a tree better with steps just for long sits are hunting like a week plus long your feet start to hurt you atleast it did me

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

When my wife hunts with me who is also 5'3", she gets the platform and I get the leftovers if that tells ya anything. Platform for comfort, ring of steps for mobility and packing I'd say. Some of the platforms are very easy to pack too just depending on your gear/pack set up.

From my personal experience when I transitioned from loc on stands to saddle hunting I found that a pivot platform was more familiar. With a platform you at least have the ability to stand upright, you can "stand" with a ROS but it's tricky.

Lately my sits have been 75%/25% ROS over platform. I really like the packability of a ROS and the ability to easily change your "home" position on the tree is a big selling point for me.

Once you get over that initial hump and fully trust your system/gear it will come down to personal preference. The best thing you can do is try both and sell the one that doesn't work for you. We happen to have a very robust classifieds section here.

ROS people tend to sit more, which takes a longer tether further from the tree. Unless you do the tree straddle and then you're right there as close as can be. So really it depends.

When you lean back in the saddle there will be the nervous feeling caused by the reality of what could happen should your tether fail. That is the same reverse swan dive regardless of platform used. I prefer a ring of steps. Most seem to prefer a platform but either one is a good choice. Get comfortable at ground level. Try to fall out of it. Once you realize how hard it is to fall when properly tethered you will find any style platform feels safe.

Your main safety piece of equipment is your saddle with a proper tether to the tree. I don’t see any ROS or platform choice as inherently safer. Assuming a quality ROS or platform of course.

Like others I've tried both. ROS as others have stated seem to work better for those that sit more. They def caused me to be closer to the tree. Also, easier to get around a tree. Platform is nice as you've got more area to move around. I ultimately sold my ROS as I'm more of a leaner and felt my boots were too big for the ROS. Being 5'3" I'm betting you aren't rocking size 13 boots. I also got tired of fighting with positioning them around the tree perfectly. My platform did flex a bit but I also weigh 235lbs. It never felt unsafe. It does take a bit to get used to the "flying" feeling. I also sold my platform as I didn't need the depth it provided and I switched to a ridge runner. It provides me a little bit of both, I can get further around a tree as it's wider than my platform was and it's not as deep as my platform was so it's a bit more compact. Cams over just as easily as my platform did and just as stable.

I'm a newbie myself and on a budget (only hunted from my S&D saddle for a week now), I am currently using the wild edge steps evenly spaced around the tree. they are pretty wide and I like to be able to move around the tree without looking for those 3/4" steps. (they were sort of in between the squirrel steps and a platform for me ). I was already using a RCH when I used a loc on stand so it wasn't much of a learning curve. Being ok with leaning back is half the battle! I will say though after hunting a few days in a row for long sits.... a platform would be nice. ( especially if you need to do stuff like put on more clothes or take off a layer or change socks because you got sweaty on your hike in.) probably wouldn't hurt to get both.

Being closer to the tree in reality only gives you a false sense of security because unless you're a squirrel you wont be able to grab hold of it anyway. Like others have said your safety is in your saddle/tether/tree connection, once you have confidence in that you'll find what your feet are perched on doesn't truly matter other than your personal preference.

Both are safe, I am in my 2nd season saddle hunting. Started with a ROS last year then went with a Platform. Thought the platform was awesome, late last year I went back to a ROS. This season 100% ROS, I find them way more comfortable and frankly I don't want to carry a platform. I firmly believe a platform helped me adjust to saddle hunting and I suggest all rookies get a platform. Just my 2 cents.

When you lean back in the saddle there will be the nervous feeling caused by the reality of what could happen should your tether fail. That is the same reverse swan dive regardless of platform used. I prefer a ring of steps. Most seem to prefer a platform but either one is a good choice. Get comfortable at ground level. Try to fall out of it. Once you realize how hard it is to fall when properly tethered you will find any style platform feels safe.
I like this idea of "trying to fall" at ground level I think thats great!

Welcome. Both are good. I believe the best method is to try someone else's for free if possible. That said, ROS is more economical. If money is not a problem, I feel the platform is the better choice. I have both and use both.

I tried a ROS for a minute. I like the Predator platform. It's easy to pack, it's easy to set, and it's easy to hunt off of. I'm not a long time saddle hunter yet, but I have taken two bucks out of it last year. I can see where some shot scenarios ( weak side) may be more difficult, but I'll cross those bridges when I get there. I do a lot of off season practice so I feel confident I can get a good shot off no matter where an animal is coming from or headed to. I don't have a problem getting a fresh look in another direction by standing off the side of the platform. I spend a lot of time leaning but I do see the benefit of getting comfortable sitting in the saddle. I'm a long time tree climber and a former paratrooper, so I am extremely comfortable at height hanging from and trusting my life to my equipment. Once you gain that trust through practice and experience hanging from a tree, the choice of a ROS or a platform becomes more of a comfort/personal decision. You will perfect the techniques needed to use the piece of equipment you choose, and you will gain trust/comfort as you gain experience. I also believe both are good choices, but as someone already mentioned I think it would be easier to start on a platform. Just my 2 cents.

New myself. Haven't tried a platform. I like the ease of walking myself around the tree on my ROS.

I think a platform would be the easiest way to transition. It gives you more positions to stay comfortable while your body gets saddle conditioned.

Back