• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Rules For Thee Not For Me (Outlaw Thread)

gcr0003

SH Member
I don’t consider myself an outlaw, truth be told I once thought mighty high of myself in regards to following said rules and regulations. Over the years though I’ve discovered that there are some rules that a huntin fella will break if’n he deems it not a great negative impact to the wildlife he is chasing nor a great crime. The camera thread where they’re becoming illegal plus the other thread where ole boy sold out his dad for some squirrels made me think of starting this risky thread. These examples are of rules that I know for a fact are being broken by your average hunter. I know this because I know of these guys. Most of them are decent guys and I wouldn’t consider them full blown outlaws or poachers but I’m not so sure the law would see it the same way.

Here are few rules and regulations that get broken frequently by people I know. Let’s not list every law or rule every outlaw has ever committed, that would be all of them. I was thinking more along the lines of the rules broken by normal folk when they’re deemed seemingly harmless. Some of these can be questionable though.
  • Cutting Limbs
  • Drilling holes in trees with steps, stands, hangers, etc.
  • Hanging cameras where not permitted
  • Leaving stands where not permitted
  • Killing more than one deer and getting a buddy to tag the 2nd
  • Making a small “man drive” for deer where permitted
  • Crossing private land to retrieve dead deer without permission
  • Corner hopping private land to get to hunting land
  • Shooting a deer smaller than antler or not abiding with sex restriction
  • Not tagging deer or tagging as the opposite sex
I’m sure I’ll think of a few more.

I like this idea for a thread. A "grey area" or "the rationalization" thread. The one I can think of is trespassing during turkey season. I know people who are otherwise sane, law-abiding folks who cherish and jealously guard their own land borders but will trespass without hesitation or remorse during turkey season. It is a true double standard.

I like this idea for a thread. A "grey area" or "the rationalization" thread. The one I can think of is trespassing during turkey season. I know people who are otherwise sane, law-abiding folks who cherish and jealously guard their own land borders but will trespass without hesitation or remorse during turkey season. It is a true double standard.
Them Turkey hunters forget all rational thought and action once one of them strutting toms start firing off lol

Baiting even when it is not allowed

Unsafe practice with weapons; how much ammo in magazine, being loaded, etc

I didn't realized it was still being used, but pods

Littering

Not wearing orange when required.

Discharging weapon within range of people/structure that is prohibited without permission/notice. I see so many blinds driving down the freeway that are basically within spitting distance....

I don’t consider myself an outlaw, truth be told I once thought mighty high of myself in regards to following said rules and regulations. Over the years though I’ve discovered that there are some rules that a huntin fella will break if’n he deems it not a great negative impact to the wildlife he is chasing nor a great crime. The camera thread where they’re becoming illegal plus the other thread where ole boy sold out his dad for some squirrels made me think of starting this risky thread. These examples are of rules that I know for a fact are being broken by your average hunter. I know this because I know of these guys. Most of them are decent guys and I wouldn’t consider them full blown outlaws or poachers but I’m not so sure the law would see it the same way.

Here are few rules and regulations that get broken frequently by people I know. Let’s not list every law or rule every outlaw has ever committed, that would be all of them. I was thinking more along the lines of the rules broken by normal folk when they’re deemed seemingly harmless. Some of these can be questionable though.
  • Cutting Limbs
  • Drilling holes in trees with steps, stands, hangers, etc.
  • Hanging cameras where not permitted
  • Leaving stands where not permitted
  • Killing more than one deer and getting a buddy to tag the 2nd
  • Making a small “man drive” for deer where permitted
  • Crossing private land to retrieve dead deer without permission
  • Corner hopping private land to get to hunting land
  • Shooting a deer smaller than antler or not abiding with sex restriction
  • Not tagging deer or tagging as the opposite sex
I’m sure I’ll think of a few more.

i may have been guilty of climbing a tree or two with vanishing limb disease, you're right. i haven't personally done this but shooting before/after legal light cutoffs is likely another one people do pretty regularly, and i've definitely heard shots after dusk cutoff (though they could be coyote hunting or something.)

thinking the corner hopping one can be taken off the list, those wyoming hunters successfully defended both the criminal and civil cases so precedent set that that's legal though it might take another court case or appeal or something to make it national.

edited for speeling misteaks

Last edited:
How bout using doe in heat, urine or even synthetic urine based attractants, were recently made prohibited. I don’t even know if I’ve ever had much luck with their use but still find myself with them on my person come pre rut due to a handful of positive encounters over the years.
Another would be post season feeding in a state with a recent ban in certain areas. I’m all for supplemental feeding during the harshest times of the winter and taking inventory of what ‘made it’ through our season.
I struggle with both of these each year and my own rationalization wins out. Maybe this year it won’t, but I do love the pictures I get from a beautifully timed and placed mock scrape

This thread is making me nauseous. There is no way to justify intentionally breaking the rules. This is the kind of thing that gives hunters a bad name, and one of the reasons I think it’s so hard to get permission from land owners any more. I know a guy who used to road hunt at night. He’s not welcome to hunt with me because I don’t want to be around if he gets caught doing something he’s not supposed to, and I don’t want to get that kind of reputation either. The only grey area is where there are poorly written rules that are open to multiple interpretations. Now I do agree there are some stupid rules based on the mental gymnastics of complete morons who are as ignorant about the woods, wildlife, and hunting as the day is long. But since politicians are involved it’s going to be that way. We just have to be the bigger men/women and don’t think we aren’t getting dirty just because it’s a small mud puddle.

Last edited:
I asked a couple fwc officers what the most common "infractions" are and they say #1 is not having the required paperwork or having the paperwork and just not signing it and they said they can assume every hunter they encounter will have a screw in bow holder or hook

I really don't want to get into it because it's only specific to my state and kinda deals with duck hunters more than deer hunters but if u bored and wanna read about some extreme gray area search "hunting Florida sovereign land"... The officers don't have a clear answer and neither do the lawyers

Not wearing orange when required.
Guilty. When there is an open firearm season I will wear it to and from the tree but I aint wearin it in the tree. If I get a good hunting award for it one of these days, so be it. That said I almost never hunt public during a firearms hunt.

Good thread to bring out into the open, maybe. I'll let you know if a warden bangs down my door.

I trim very sparingly and use screw-in hooks. Totally harmless in moderation. it's "that guy" that ruins it, always takes it too far and trims rights of way in the woods and leaves a set of 10 bolts in the tree for perpetuity.

This one may be the most controversial, but if I know a deer is dead, property lines can kiss my you know what. I'm not calling anyone, I'm going in commando and getting it. I don't otherwise trespass and it's rare, I don't put myself in situations where it is likely to happen like hunting the burbs. I'm not a fan of chucklehead landowners that have an attitude about owning ground and act like they are the overlords of some holy fiefdom but I generally respect private property rights. If those chickleheads didn't exist, I'd ask permission every time. But they do, so forgiveness is easier in my eyes and I ain't getting caught. That's gods property, you are just the caretaker while you pay the taxes on it. If a deer is dead on it that I killed, I'm doing right by the animal I killed by retrieving it.

I've put a few out of their misery, hit by cars. That's illegal. It shouldn't be.

Odd that a few deadheads walked their way to my woodpile. Some dog must have carried them there.

I draw the line at any kind of baiting, littering, out-of-season, and over-the-limit shenanigans. Basically when it disrespects others experience and goes beyond a victimless act, no bueno in my ethic.

I've turned a blind eye to some close-ish friends and family doing some sketchier things. Some of whom I wouldn't narc on, but never hunted with again when what they were doing was egregious enough.

Last edited:
There are people I don't associate with, even if they're a "good guy" because of their Fish & Game "rep"... I don't need to be haunted because of who I'm associated with. That being said:

Harvesting deer out of season for "meat", leaving stands up year round, screw-in steps etc., and definitely baiting where not legal. I have some pics that I won't post pertaining to stuff that I found while scouting/hiking/hunting.

if I know a deer is dead, property lines can kiss my you know what.
Yep. I'll leave my weapon at the property line, but I'm getting the deer. And if one is down on my lease/property, I'd rather somebody just go get it as opposed to calling and bothering me or leaving it to rot. Just get it and leave like a reasonable person. Don't make a production.

In an attempt iterate good-er I’ll just say that I’m not condoning or justifying these things. Each hunter/fisherman that does these things that are contrary to the rules and regulations have already rationalized to themselves. All I’m really doing here really is listing out ones that I know are committed on a regular. Some of these could be viewed similar to driving over the speed limit, while others of these could be considered akin to driving 25+ mph over the speed limit. Both are against the law on speed to operate a vehicle, one is more wrong and has a heftier consequences.

How bout using doe in heat, urine or even synthetic urine based attractants, were recently made prohibited.

That was a backdoor stab at the deer farming industry in the war on CWD. Here in PA anyway the Game Commission has zero control over deer farms, it's all Department of Ag and it's been a power issue since CWD showed up. Selling doe piss is one of the deer farms more valuable revenue streams, so doing what they can to hit them in the pocketbook.

Killing snakes is 1 that really pisses me off. Seems like everybody will kill them without a second thought. I had a guy with me as my guest on a quota hunt. He killed a decent size diamondback and made the mistake of telling me about it....we went and collected it and when we got to the check station and the guy asked if we got anything I totally told on him....all he got was a scolding and we don't speak anymore. Good riddance to bad rubbish

One that always tempts me but I never cross the line because fish wardens check often enough to be a deterrent is under-size limit fish that swallow the hook and are bleeding profusely. Certain types of fishing it happens more than others, but it's always burned me to release dead fish to the gulls. I wish there was a way to make a reasonable exception, but again, people suck and would abuse the crap out of it.

Killing snakes is 1 that really pisses me off. Seems like everybody will kill them without a second thought. I had a guy with me as my guest on a quota hunt. He killed a decent size diamondback and made the mistake of telling me about it....we went and collected it and when we got to the check station and the guy asked if we got anything I totally told on him....all he got was a scolding and we don't speak anymore. Good riddance to bad rubbish
Illegal in Florida?
In Kentucky the only snake we cannot kill is the Copperbelly water snake.

Back