• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle and Crossbow

Spur

From time to time an old injury in my elbow makes me resort to a xbow. As I explore the idea of saddle hunting, I am finding it difficult to find any videos or info on folks who use a crossbow from the saddle. I would really love any insight, feedback, or links to videos of folks using a xbow from a tree saddle. What I have seen looks like it is a wonderful way to hang out in a tree, but I don't want to invest in a system that leaves me restricted when the elbow flares up. Thanks!!!

Thanks @GCTerpfan! I tried forum searching and had minimal luck finding info. I looked at hambones posts and found a few. Apparently my search skills need some work. Gonna try a few different searches :)

@Spur you won’t have any problems using a crossbow. I’ve been saddle hunting since the 1980s and using a crossbow for the last 10 years since I started having shoulder problems. I use an Excalibur Phoenix with my tree saddle and take about 4 deer each year.
I use a Cabela’s crossbow sling so the bow hangs on my side close to the ready. I just keep the limbs and string away from the tree when I put it to my shoulder by moving around the tree. Post any specific questions you have and I’ll try and help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been thinking about bringing my Equinox out it gives me an extra 10yards range.

Thanks @hambone If you know of any videos of someone showing various shot directions from the saddle that would be great! I was worried about limbs of the xbow hitting the tree, about the bridger thing interfering with shot, I have had to switch to righty (I am lefty) shooting because left eye is not as good as right, so I would likely switch hands depending on side of tree, would that generate a lot of movement? Also worried about supporting full weight of xbow with left arm due to the elbow, how hard is it to brace up the supporting arm? I notice you use a sling, switching arms may preclude me using a sling. I removed the sling on my xbow because it gets in the way and makes more noise than I like, although I could probably deaden some of that with stealthtape or something. I have a feeling I probably have bunch more questions that I don't know to ask as well :)

Ultimately, I want to make sure that if I pull the trigger on giving my money to tehtrd I don't regret it :)

Spur - I also hunt with an xbow. Not as successful as @hambone, but I've had mine out in the saddle four times this year. Shifting hands is going to generate a lot of movement. I had to do it this weekend and it nearly caused me to get busted. Never got a good shot at the deer anyway as my shooting lanes were not clear. I didn't trust myself to thread the needle.

@Spur I’ll show some pics in the next few posts to help answer some questions. This pic shows my POV for the shot. I shoot right handed. I move around the tree to what ever point the deer is at or coming to.
0ad8f7356ead127a25c69290b454a395.jpg

Limbs are away from the tree so no interference.

I don’t switch from righty to lefty. I move around the tree on my steps. I use mostly preset trees with Crawford EZY climb deluxe steps. Pricey but safer and more comfortable.
a94dcc5d528f5d4fb7f4fbb070c46d98.jpg

You can’t hold the crossbow up at the ready indefinitely. Last year I did it for almost 5 minutes waiting for a shot on a big 8. I posted the video of the shot here so you can search and watch. But to be near ready I put the stock over the bridge and under my right arm.
1ffc7cdded7c92c8df16ce56133b7f4d.jpg

While just hanging I let the crossbow hang on my left side high up with the sling kind of like a tactical AR.

I had abandoned the tactical sling in my Kestrel because I had to use the back band to be comfortable but, since I went back to a fleece saddle I don't use a back band anymore. I currently keep my xbow hanging on my left side of the tree, stock down, and I have yet to have a deer see me pick it up but, it is a lot of extra movement. I may have to revisit the tactical sling.

You can’t hold the crossbow up at the ready indefinitely. Last year I did it for almost 5 minutes waiting for a shot on a big 8. I posted the video of the shot here so you can search and watch. But to be near ready I put the stock over the bridge and under my right arm.
1ffc7cdded7c92c8df16ce56133b7f4d.jpg

i do this as well. while I hate carrying crossbow in the woods compared to a recurve or compound, or rifle for that matter, i do like the ease of use while up in the saddle. I made my first harvest last week from a saddle due to being able to manipulate the crossbow over a limb and was holding it with the stock over the limb and my hand under the limb. I would have not had a shot with a vertical boy due to there not being enough clearance to that side.

Back