• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle and squirrels: an observation

bow shot

I've noticed that while in the saddle and waiting on deer, if a squirrel spots me and becomes spooked, that gently swaying (swinging from the tether) seems to calm him down very quickly. In almost 40 years of hunting from stands it seems to me that once a squirrel (or a few) get wigged out over my presence just remaining motionless or wiggling a single finger to imitate a little critter doesn't do much to shut 'em up... it seems more like they just forget what they were freaked out about over time and go back to their business.

For some reason the gentle rocking/swaying motion seems to calm them more quickly. I have all kinds of ideas as to why, but I've stopped trying to figure out what's in any animal's head.

I agree. And I think that most animals, like a deer, if they see you they freeze. And sitting there frozen is probably making the squirrel think you’re looking right at him

Back