• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle as a chair

robstewart

Anyone else use their saddle just at ground level as a chair like the sit drag was designed for?

I’ve been thinking of bringing a short tether and my fleece saddle and sitting in it at ground level when hunting from the ground for small game, coyote or even deer when I don’t feel like climbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did this for turkey last year. Works great because you are elevated a bit and get a better view than when seated. You also can hide behind the tree effectively rather than leaning against one. Being on the ground makes walking around the tree really easy if the bird is trying to get behid you or comes in on your weak side. I just carried a tether in my pouch and when I got a response I picked a tree and tied in. I don't know how I never thought of this before last year.

That’s brilliant! I have a vest that has a built in seat but I love the idea of doing turkey from a saddle. P

I did this for turkey last year. Works great because you are elevated a bit and get a better view than when seated. You also can hide behind the tree effectively rather than leaning against one. Being on the ground makes walking around the tree really easy if the bird is trying to get behid you or comes in on your weak side. I just carried a tether in my pouch and when I got a response I picked a tree and tied in. I don't know how I never thought of this before last year.

So rethinking it, here in Ontario there used to be a separate Turkey course. A main component of safety they taught is always sit with your back to a tree wider than your shoulders in case someone else is in the woods and either thinks you’re a turkey or decides to take a shot at a turkey you are looking at and the shot is past/through you.

So rethinking it, here in Ontario there used to be a separate Turkey course. A main component of safety they taught is always sit with your back to a tree wider than your shoulders in case someone else is in the woods and either thinks you’re a turkey or decides to take a shot at a turkey you are looking at and the shot is past/through you.

I understand your concern, but wouldn't you still be at the same risk walking in? My vest has an orange patch I can attach to the back (I admittedly don't use it) for just such a reason. If you're hanging at ground level you could conceivably leave that on as you'd be able to walk around the tree keeping your back away from the birds. It might actually be safer than sitting fully camo'd against a tree if you're hunting in a high hunter density area.

Yup, killer way to Turkey hunt!!!!

I have hunted turkey that way for awhile. First with guidos web and now with a hybrid. All of my turkeys were shot with a web or Jx 3 on a tree for cover except one. Now I have only hunted turkeys for four years.
One was shot with a bow in a tree in the fall while hunting deer I call that one lucky

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Yep. It saves carrying a chair, plus I just like fiddling w/my saddle. Practicing or using it anytime I can.

Great way to turkey hunt. I also don’t use my deer hunting tether because it’s overkill if you aren’t actually climbing the tree. I have used a 7/64” Amsteel daisy chain in the past. This year I’m thinking I might use 6mm TRC as my tether with 4mm accessory cord prussic. Also use a non locking carabiner on the end of my figure 8 instead of girth hitching just for a little extra speed in setting up on a hot bird. Again, not worried about cross loading the ‘biner because I’m not going to be elevated. That carabiner would never be used for life support.

Yep, all the time here. @BrowninG77 's daughter got her a deer like that this season

aafe549048a001eafe8883ef87d00978.jpg

Only trouble i had was keeping her awake in the blame thing!

A tactic that has worked for me several times has been to hide behind a tree downwind from a deer trail in the evening. It can be tiresome to stand for a couple hours so I have to say I like the idea you have.

Next time I go out I’m going to bring my fleece saddle and light weight cordage and set up like I would in the tree but at ground level!

I’m thinking that it may be hard to shoot like that if using a bow so perhaps the best way would be to quietly disconnect the saddle from the tether if I see movement or if it’s getting to be the magic hour.

Back