• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Back support strap

rakbowhunter

I am as green as it gets with saddle hunting, but I was just curious as to how many use the back strap for support? If so, do you find it comfortable for longer sits? Im sure it would help some, but I can't seem to envision it being that much more comfortable?? Has anyone messed with the idea of using part of bino harness that actually supports more of the upper back/shoulders? obviously it would need modified, but it has got me wondering....I wouldnt think it to be that hard to come up with some kind of quick disconnect as well if you wanted to detach it quickly. Any thoughts?

@g2outdoors had one I believe was made from a binocular strap. I have the kestrel with backband. I used two sit drags and one I would up for back support. It made a difference for me.

I originally made one from a golf bag strap with the evo. Super padded. Used prussic knots of paracord and it was adjustable with a cinch buckle. Worked great but was a little bulky. Then bought on with the kestrel and now with the mantis. I only use them on all day sits. It does add a good bit of comfort and is easily dropped out of the way when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I don't think a backstrap is a necessity. I never use one.

And just to show you how much saddle hunting is personal preference, I will follow up Red's post by saying that I find the back support a necessity, I cant sit for more than 30 minutes without it before my back starts aching.

I use mine on most sits with my kestrel. once you unload it, it falls down to get out of the way for a shot. I added tiny steel carabiners to the loops so that I can remove it when packing in and out and climbing. The prussics that come with it are perfect.

You should be able to build one for 10 bucks and an hour of time. Or buy one for 30.00 and save the hour.

I would not call it a necessity, but it's pretty nice to have. I have been doing my best to find trees with multiple trunks so I can lean against one tied off to the other. this is really the only time I don't use the backband.

Must have for me. I relax and stay comfortable much easier with it.

To assist in your decision making...que an individual that doesn't use one....:tearsofjoy:

I use a back strap for all-day sits and I think it helps. I don’t bother using it on short sits (4 hours or less).

I made my own with a padded duffel bag strap, paracord on each end and nite ize cam jams to clip to my tether. That way you can adjust the length easily and recline more or less, as you wish.

Interesting. I'm almost positive that I'd use one on a regular badis. I was just wondering about a back strap with a little more support. If I could rig up something off of a harness like this. Screenshot_20180807-144853_Chrome.jpg

That way the weight is distributed a bit more....but again, I've never used the typical back strap so maybe it will be sufficient. Just a thought. Thanks for all the replies!

Can you guys post up some pics of you DIY backbands please? I have my mantis on order but I could probly make a backband up in the meantime. Thanks

FWIW - in the process of using a MOLLE harness ($5) as suspenders attached to my wait belt on my saddle. I can unclip the front two clasps and hook them to prussiks on my bridge. Pics when I am done. This way my saddle, ropes etc are carried on the MOLLE harness and I do not need to carry anything extra.

FWIW - in the process of using a MOLLE harness ($5) as suspenders attached to my wait belt on my saddle. I can unclip the front two clasps and hook them to prussiks on my bridge. Pics when I am done. This way my saddle, ropes etc are carried on the MOLLE harness and I do not need to carry anything extra.
Awesome, would definitely love to see some pics! I actually have a molle i can take off a XOP Enforcer that will probably get sold

Are you using the aluminum, or the plastic cam jams?

Plastic. I have to make sure to push the cams together otherwise the rope can slip and give me a little extra spontaneous reclining action. Nothing bad, just movement...

8e1ef97320177ba00ce1076ecdb348a2.jpg

Super simple, doesn’t even have padding but just gives you something to lean back against... I have only used it with heavy clothes on so maybe I’ll want padding for warm weather, we’ll see. Packs up small this way though.

Back