• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle brands to check out?

Dave0317

I’m saddle shopping and at first I though my choice was basically just Aero or Tethrd. Then I see Trophyline. Would never have found H2 or Tactisaddle if it weren’t for this forum. Are there any other options I am missing? Just trying to do a thorough shopping job and get one I will really like. Leaning towards a Tethrd Mantis right now. Where else should I be looking?

I’m saddle shopping and at first I though my choice was basically just Aero or Tethrd. Then I see Trophyline. Would never have found H2 or Tactisaddle if it weren’t for this forum. Are there any other options I am missing? Just trying to do a thorough shopping job and get one I will really like. Leaning towards a Tethrd Mantis right now. Where else should I be looking?

I’m in the same boat. I’m interested in the options before I make a decision. Want one I really like too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could also look at the JX3 Hybrid, a Sit drag paired with a rock climbing harness, and a DIY Fleece saddle.

Wild Edge partnered with Aero Hunter to produce the Yarak which is being released in small batches.

I bought an H2 , and am very satisfied by the price point , and delivery time. Tethrd had a 10 week delivery time, but , i guess that also is a testimony for their product H2 is made in brighton Mi.

I bought an H2 , and am very satisfied by the price point , and delivery time. Tethrd had a 10 week delivery time, but , i guess that also is a testimony for their product H2 is made in brighton Mi.

Do you have any other experience with the other popular saddles out there? Just curious if so, what do you think of the feel and functionality of the H2 compared to others?

Do you have any other experience with the other popular saddles out there? Just curious if so, what do you think of the feel and functionality of the H2 compared to others?

this is my first saddle but Ihad a number of other guys, who contacted me before my purchase, that told me it was very similar to Aerohunter.. One friend said he had Aerohunter for quite a while, and switched to H2,n ( I think for size, he gained weight), and said it performs just like the Aero, but at a little less$ and a less wait time on delivery, and mi. made

this is my first saddle but Ihad a number of other guys, who contacted me before my purchase, that told me it was very similar to Aerohunter.. One friend said he had Aerohunter for quite a while, and switched to H2,n ( I think for size, he gained weight), and said it performs just like the Aero, but at a little less$ and a less wait time on delivery, and mi. made

I see. Good to know. It looks pretty similar to the kestrel. I might have to give it a try. Would like to not wait half a year (exaggeration) and paying less is always a plus.

actually, when I first was deciding to get one, one member said just do it, (at that time there was a 13 day wait), because if I didn't like it , for the $ , I could prolly get all of it back from someone who would want it from me in 3 days. It does have a learning curve, for instance how high the tether should be , what diameter the tree should be and the first 30 min. I used it I hated it. . It was uncomfortable, felt like I had barbed wire around my thighs, then I learned if sitting, you really need to rest your feet on some kind of platform. and seemed i did an 30 isometric with it. ( I was also very non- confident in the equipment being a stand hunter), This was a 4 day hunt. I decided I needed to be in a little bit larger tree( about the size of a basket ball), and it made so much difference that on my last hunt, in the morning, I almost fell asleep. go to you tube

actually, when I first was deciding to get one, one member said just do it, (at that time there was a 13 day wait), because if I didn't like it , for the $ , I could prolly get all of it back from someone who would want it from me in 3 days. It does have a learning curve, for instance how high the tether should be , what diameter the tree should be and the first 30 min. I used it I hated it. . It was uncomfortable, felt like I had barbed wire around my thighs, then I learned if sitting, you really need to rest your feet on some kind of platform. and seemed i did an 30 isometric with it. ( I was also very non- confident in the equipment being a stand hunter), This was a 4 day hunt. I decided I needed to be in a little bit larger tree( about the size of a basket ball), and it made so much difference that on my last hunt, in the morning, I almost fell asleep. go to you tube

Oh wow. I see. Yeah I’m sure it is different. I’m a tree stand hunter too but have played with a JX3 so I get the concept of a bridge and tether and all that. I already have a ridge runner platform that I like a lot. So shouldn’t be a problem there. I feel pretty confident that I’ll pick it up fairly quickly. Been playing around with my gear while hunting this season and have learned a lot of what I like and don’t like.

on the tree that was too small, first I thought I could just sit and hang in it, wrong, I did have to rest my knees on something, and did have knee pads on, That is where the smaller tree did not work out . I had to squeeze my lesg together, to keep the knees on, and as soon as I rllaxed a little, my knee would slip off, and back to hanging with barbed wire. the larger tree made this much easier

on the tree that was too small, first I thought I could just sit and hang in it, wrong, I did have to rest my knees on something, and did have knee pads on, That is where the smaller tree did not work out . I had to squeeze my lesg together, to keep the knees on, and as soon as I rllaxed a little, my knee would slip off, and back to hanging with barbed wire. the larger tree made this much easier

I can see how that would be a problem. I don’t remember, did you say you do also use a platform or no? Seems like that might help a lot of the situation. For the knees resting on the tree, have you tried turning a little to one side so that both knees are together angling away from the tree, leaving basically your hip resting on the tree instead? I’ve not tried a traditional saddle yet but seems like this might be a little more comfortable way to sit.

what I did was I bought Muddy stagger steps. these are square tubular construction, but they stick out from the tree forming a 6x6 in. platform of sorts. ( you can google them and see). Because the frame is square, I took a small piece of plywood, ( 1/2 thick), and screwed a 12 x 12 platform on the top steep. This also became a problem, as it was hard to climb up, then over that 12 in. so, I cut about 4in. off the front, and kept the sides on , so I have an 8 deep, by 12 wide platform attached to the top, it was much better.

what I did was I bought Muddy stagger steps. these are square tubular construction, but they stick out from the tree forming a 6x6 in. platform of sorts. ( you can google them and see). Because the frame is square, I took a small piece of plywood, ( 1/2 thick), and screwed a 12 x 12 platform on the top steep. This also became a problem, as it was hard to climb up, then over that 12 in. so, I cut about 4in. off the front, and kept the sides on , so I have an 8 deep, by 12 wide platform attached to the top, it was much better.

I see. Gotcha. I actually have a set of those steps too just not by that name. Makes sense to trim down so you can maneuver around it when needed. If you ever find that isn’t enough anymore, I highly recommend checking out the ridge runner platform. I think they’re underrated with the tethrd predator being at the top of the market from what I can tell. But I’ve just been super impressed with the RR. Made right in Oklahoma too I’m pretty sure. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the suggestions. Researching all of them, still leaning towards the Mantis.

Ordered an 8 pack of Wild Edge steps. Excited to try those out. I’m thinking the saddle will be a good Christmas present. I’ll try the ring of steps, or at least a couple WE steps side by side, then decide on a platform later.

Thanks for the suggestions. Researching all of them, still leaning towards the Mantis.

Ordered an 8 pack of Wild Edge steps. Excited to try those out. I’m thinking the saddle will be a good Christmas present. I’ll try the ring of steps, or at least a couple WE steps side by side, then decide on a platform later.

Sounds good. I got some WE steps earlier in the year. I have mixed feelings about them. Mine tend to loosen and have slipped out from under me a number of times which I’m not at all a fan of. I’m told the ropes need to be stretched by putting them around the biggest tree possible and tightened down as hard as possible and letting them sit like that 24 hours. I have yet to do this and will give it a try. I’ve watched numerous different sources show how to cam them over correctly and have done it a bunch myself. If they still move on me after stretching then I’m ditching them. Not to discourage you from them but you might want to stretch them and work with them before you rely on them too heavily.

I see. Gotcha. I actually have a set of those steps too just not by that name. Makes sense to trim down so you can maneuver around it when needed. If you ever find that isn’t enough anymore, I highly recommend checking out the ridge runner platform. I think they’re underrated with the tethrd predator being at the top of the market from what I can tell. But I’ve just been super impressed with the RR. Made right in Oklahoma too I’m pretty sure. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the lead, I am in Norman and starting to want to try this concept, they might know of folks from this area of the country who do this.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sold my JX3 and with that money was able to buy an H2 saddle and a set of hawk helium climbing sticks. Already have everything else I need for saddle hunting. Excited to try it out!

Back