• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle choices

jmball

I have a Kestrel size 2 and find it pretty comfortable. My wife will be hunting from one this year, and I need to buy another saddle. I am trying to decide what I want for my other saddle. I am having a Wraptor stitched up tomorrow and I have a Preacher Seat/RCH setup, so I can wait on my new one. Should I get another Kestrel, Kite, or Mantis? My first thought would be another Kestrel and use the Wraptor when its hot outside.

I bought my wife a kite and she loves it. I own a mantis, a kite, and a kestrel flex. Here are the high points on which saddle I prefer as far as my opinion goes. Take it for what it's worth, everyone's different.

Comfort in order: kestrel flex (mine is modded with elastic bands but it was comfortable before that), kite, mantis
Going deep: mantis (you could forget your wearing it at times it's so light and minimal)
Hot weather: draw between kite and mantis
Packability: mantis hands down
Cold weather: kestrel
Best deal for the money: kite
Scent control: draw mantis and kite (my kestrel starts smelling like a gym sock pretty quick here in the south if I don't keep it clean)
Noise: in stock form the kite wins. Raptor buckles can clank from time to time

So far my wife has been very satisfied with her kite and she's usually pretty quick to complain about comfort lol.

I really like the Kestrel. Does the Kite fit just like the Kestrel? I have thought about the mesh version of the Yarak. Will it be available when the regular one releases?

Back