• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Death… Stay safe out there.

I saw where John RB had reached out and asked to be contacted to learn about details of this unfortunate accident. If anybody knows please share so we all can learn and take measures to prevent it in the future.

If anything it should make us all aware of the dangers we face ever time we leave the ground.

Condolences and prayers for the family.

Knew this day was gonna come, still was hoping that it wouldn't. Terrible news.

This is very sad and an unfortunate accident
Not sure how it would have happened but I always thought what do I do if I drop my one stick while climbing so i took the little bungee off my summit climber and added it to my one stick and attach the end to my saddle. might go ahead and search for a longer bungee so so it has enough slack for the climb

This is very sad and an unfortunate accident
Not sure how it would have happened but I always thought what do I do if I drop my one stick while climbing so i took the little bungee off my summit climber and added it to my one stick and attach the end to my saddle. might go ahead and search for a longer bungee so so it has enough slack for the climb

i'd carry a 7/64 amsteel daisy chain as an emergency foot loop to get you down the tree as a last resort

This is devastating. I know on the fb page he was practicing one sticking, but I am unsure if that had anything to do with his accident.. I want to know the details but this also brings light to the fact that going inverted is one of if not the most dangerous things that can happen in a fall. Praying for his family in this trying time

i'd carry a 7/64 amsteel daisy chain as an emergency foot loop to get you down the tree as a last resort
could you post pictures of this? or explain how it works?

This is really sad. I only considered dying by falling .. Think I’m going to set up a foot off the ground this weekend, with someone close by, and try to flip myself over in the saddle. Figure if I put myself in that situation on purpose, I'd be more prepared if it ever happens in real life.

Last edited:
could you post pictures of this? or explain how it works?

This is really sad. I only considered dying by falling and taking every precaution to be safe.. Think I’m going to set up a foot off the ground this weekend with someone around and try to flip myself over in the saddle. Figure if I put myself in that situation on purpose, I'd be more prepared if it ever happens in real life.

i'll pm you

This is sad. I’m praying for his family. While I think there could be much to learn from the details surrounding this horrible accident, any “what I would have done” or “what he should of done” is just speculation. Hopefully the details will be released to educate people to prevent it from happening again.

Maybe if he was one sticking and the stick kicked out? Add in a little slack in the rope ? Could see it happening ,but just a pure guess . It could happen to anyone go slow ,think and have a backup plan for sure . Praying for the family .

Very sad day and prayers for the family. Very grateful to the family for even taking the time to notify the community as I'm sure they have a lot more to worry about as their world is devastated.

YES, please everyone have some kind of backup leg loop or backup tether. They have them built into almost all tree stand safety harness, it cost you nothing in weight. You can always 2TC down at snail pace, but you'll get home.

I carry 2 versa straps attached to a climbing carabiner at all time that I can access unhindered.

I do something similar, but I’ve just always carried extra prusik loops with me. I’ve only ever needed it once but when I did it was a savior. Lost my one stick and was hanging. I climb on a prusik so the knot had cinched and I couldn’t get above it. Wound up tying that extra prusik loop on and running it down to my boot. Stood up in it and got above my tether prusik. I rappel on a Safeguard and at that point I latched in and removed both prusik and rappelled down. If I hadn’t had that other prusik with me though I don’t know what I’d have done. That’s an easy thing to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do something similar, but I’ve just always carried extra prusik loops with me. I’ve only ever needed it once but when I did it was a savior. Lost my one stick and was hanging. I climb on a prusik so the knot had cinched and I couldn’t get above it. Wound up tying that extra prusik loop on and running it down to my boot. Stood up in it and got above my tether prusik. I rappel on a Safeguard and at that point I latched in and removed both prusik and rappelled down. If I hadn’t had that other prusik with me though I don’t know what I’d have done. That’s an easy thing to carry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is really clever. I might try some version of this. Since I dont use my rappel line as my main tether, I'm going to try adding a foot loop at the tag end and just leaving it there the whole hunt. If this does not hinder my movement, it also might solve the issue of what to do with the extra tether rope.

Thoughts and prayers to his family. We know the dangers and I appreciate all the safety things we talk about on this forum. For me switching to hitches and no longer using my CT Roll N Lok was one of those

Let’s all be safe this season so we can all come home alive. Not the way I want to be reminded of safety. We are all here to support each other and help each other become more safe

Prayers for the family, what can we do if we wound upside down? My emergency lowering plan is to use my tether and a pair of folding screw in steps and inch my way down.nevrt thought what I would do if I wasn't upright.

Back