• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle for an 11 Year old

onestringer

SH Member
I have been making my own saddles for 3 years. Even have a Juki 1181n to do it with. I am making a saddle for a friends 11 year old. For those that have done smaller saddles, any suggestions on size? I am thinking 20" or 21" inches side to side and 11" deep.

How the kid built? bean pole, linebacker, average? I haven't sewn a saddle so my input is very limited but, I'd get some measurements, because body size and shape can vary wildly on kids

I had one made for my kids a while ago. Measures 19". Fits the 5-10 pretty well. The 10yr old is a skinny thing. My 13yr daughter has been using a Kestrel size 1 which measures 21 across and seems to be a good fit.
@JCLINE84 has pumped out some kid saddles as well. Could be a good one ask a few questions.

The one I made for my 10 year old last year (she's tiny-- 53" tall and 50 lbs when I made it) is 16 inches wide by 10 inches tall. The one I made for her older brother (12 then and about 80-85 pounds) was 19 by 10.

Made my panel 18 inches wide and 17 inches tall for a pleated kids saddle. Without the pleat I’d think 10 inches tall would fit well

Back