• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunter's Dictionary of Terms

John RB

I did a thing today... and there will be a POP QUIZ sometime soon!!!

What's missing? Don't worry about knots... i will get to that.... trust me.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Too generic. I would have spent that time scouting…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Too generic. I would have spent that time scouting…

Ha. Good point. I am just trying to help the new climbers. You and I weren't born knowing all this and even though i spent time making it, it will save me time answering the same questions over and over. And my trail cams are out working while I type! Last day of winter season is tomorrow... i will get in a tree! Saved one tag for the privilege.

I like it. We have a lot of terms thrown around and it still makes my head swim sometimes. Thanks for taking the time to do this!!!

What would be supremely awesome is next to the term, a link to a video or pictures on how to tie them or a visual representation.

Overall really good summary of term. A few more to consider. I read through then made list, with my goldfish lie memory, forgive me if I listed one you already have.

Quick link/delta link
Pouch/dump pouch
Leg loops
Daisy chain a rope (might be considered a knot)
Kill kit
Game changer (LMBO)
Soft shackle
Daisy chain (spliced rope)
Continuous loop
Eye to eye
Gear hanger
S biner
The reality that prusik is used like kitchen aid, seadoo or coke to mean any friction hitch (mixer, jet ski or cola/pop/soft drink, respectively)

Thx.
Did you click on the terms? Most are links to photos. Check that out and let me know.

When i do the knots page, i will have video links.

No I did not click on them!!! Awesome!!! I will check it out!!

Overall really good summary of term. A few more to consider. I read through then made list, with my goldfish lie memory, forgive me if I listed one you already have.

Quick link/delta link
Pouch/dump pouch
Leg loops
Daisy chain a rope (might be considered a knot)
Kill kit
Game changer (LMBO)
Soft shackle
Daisy chain (spliced rope)
Continuous loop
Eye to eye
Gear hanger
S biner
The reality that prusik is used like kitchen aid, seadoo or coke to mean any friction hitch (mixer, jet ski or cola/pop/soft drink, respectively)

Great list. I got most...

1. what is a continuous loop? I have prusik loop. Not sure what ya meant.

2. Who uses a soft shackle and for what in saddle? Because i actually designed one and am currently testing it.

Great list. I got most...

1. what is a continuous loop? I have prusik loop. Not sure what ya meant.

2. Who uses a soft shackle and for what in saddle? Because i actually designed one and am currently testing it.

1. Just a loop of amsteel used to girth hitch to MOLLE and hang sticks while climbing or any of a thousand different uses. Mini prusiks on a gear hanger, etc

2. Soft shackle can be used anywhere a carabiner is, unless rope is meant to move through the carabiner. Most common usage today is probably attaching aiders like the workhorse.

John, there’s gotta be a term for the saddle guy that thinks his way is the ONLY way to saddle hunt…”if you’re not doing (insert method here) it THIS way, you’re wrong”. Why not do it this way? That’s the stupidest thing ever. Been using this for 45 years. Etc, etc, etc. Just a thought, lol!

John, there’s gotta be a term for the saddle guy that thinks his way is the ONLY way to saddle hunt…”if you’re not doing (insert method here) it THIS way, you’re wrong”. Why not do it this way? That’s the stupidest thing ever. Been using this for 45 years. Etc, etc, etc. Just a thought, lol!
Yeah brother, i know what ya mean and my first thought is tha i really try NOT to be that guy. I have taken a few shots from people via social media which i felt were seriously out of line. Maybe they felt that the information I was sharing was a threat to their business. For example just because i don't stick climb, i have NEVER told anyone not to stick climb... but I have told em to tie their butt in when they do so. The manufacturers should be appreciative of that, not the opposite.

I was thinking about doing a video on general safety... and in it I would describe THAT GUY...

Yeah brother, i know what ya mean and my first thought is tha i really try NOT to be that guy. I have taken a few shots from people via social media which i felt were seriously out of line. Maybe they felt that the information I was sharing was a threat to their business. For example just because i don't stick climb, i have NEVER told anyone not to stick climb... but I have told em to tie their butt in when they do so. The manufacturers should be appreciative of that, not the opposite.

I was thinking about doing a video on general safety... and in it I would describe THAT GUY...

Oh, trust me…I’m that guy in my head sometimes (using 1/2’ tubular for a pull line since special operations days in the mid 90’s). But i try to be open to everything. Never too old to learn. You use ropes. I use one-sticking. I wear Sitka. Someone else wears Walmart (and shoots waaay bigger bucks than i‘ve ever seen). Maybe THAT SADDLE GUY should be the term, lol. But regardless, keep posting those safety and technique videos for us.

Back