• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunting in freezing rain

SaddleUpPartner!

Don’t, just don’t. I use wild edge stepps and it started snowing, then started raining/freezing raining. Realized that all my steps were covered in ice and thank god I kept a spare 30ft rope in my bag! The tree was covered in ice, and my prusik got stuck when I was repelling down the tree. I eventually got the prusik to come free but there was some panic for a few moments. Very slippery and not safe at all. Pro tip: I recommend ground hunting if there’s freezing rain the forecast. Don’t be dumb like me.
I also saw a grand total of 0 deer, 2 foxes and some bunny rabbits.

I've been struggling with packing climbing gear and all the cold weather gear I need to stay warm when it starts getting really cold. Today, I packed just the cold weather gear and a chair, it was so much lighter and I got it done and shot my first deer. I think once it gets too cold, I'll just stick to the ground. It is just too uncomfortable carrying everything, and too easy to make a mistake in the air with thick clothes, thick gloves, and and stiff cold muscles.

Be safe out there!

I've been struggling with packing climbing gear and all the cold weather gear I need to stay warm when it starts getting really cold. Today, I packed just the cold weather gear and a chair, it was so much lighter and I got it done and shot my first deer. I think once it gets too cold, I'll just stick to the ground. It is just too uncomfortable carrying everything, and too easy to make a mistake in the air with thick clothes, thick gloves, and and stiff cold muscles.

Be safe out there!

Yea it got cold and raining here so I broke out a ground blind. Did not see much for deer. Local hunt club guys decided to treaspass and walked through where I was hunting. Have had almost every hunt this year ruined by them and packs of dogs coming through.

Did see a small buck this morning. He was too far away down the ravine, tried to put a stalk on him and head him off. I missed cutting him off my 30 yards but he had no idea I was there. Bow hunting during rifle season.

Decided in crappy weather I will either hunt from the ground or still hunt and try to find them bedded.

Yea it got cold and raining here so I broke out a ground blind. Did not see much for deer. Local hunt club guys decided to treaspass and walked through where I was hunting. Have had almost every hunt this year ruined by them and packs of dogs coming through.

Did see a small buck this morning. He was too far away down the ravine, tried to put a stalk on him and head him off. I missed cutting him off my 30 yards but he had no idea I was there. Bow hunting during rifle season.

Decided in crappy weather I will either hunt from the ground or still hunt and try to find them bedded.
Judging by your icon, you're in Michigan? I am and i was lucky enough to get out of the woods before that freezing rain started. Still had to drive home through it though...

Judging by your icon, you're in Michigan? I am and i was lucky enough to get out of the woods before that freezing rain started. Still had to drive home through it though...
No I am in Virginia, I'm hunting my private land in the mountains.

Yessir! I was hunting on private near the Lansing airport. Was great at first and the snow was awesome to hunt in. Once it started to rain though and I saw ice forming on my stepps I got concerned.

I hunted in that crap yesterday too. I was climbing on fixed sticks and I remembered my salt so not to bad. First time using the Canyon IV rope I got for Christmas and it seems to shed moisture as advertised. I think it is going to be a good rope for saddle hunting.

Don't you just hate the fact that "dogs can't tell where the boundaries are" and that makes it legal for them to come onto your land to get their dogs! I know around here guys drop their dogs off right outside our private land and run the deer off our property so they can shoot them! Don't mind it if they weren't such d@#*s around here anyway! Sorry for the rant! I have come to the conclusion on bad weather days it is a good time to still hunt and stay out of the trees be safe my diaper wearing brothers!! Lol

I hunted in that crap yesterday too. I was climbing on fixed sticks and I remembered my salt so not to bad. First time using the Canyon IV rope I got for Christmas and it seems to shed moisture as advertised. I think it is going to be a good rope for saddle hunting.
I might have to look into that rope. My rope is a cheapy from ****’s. Sheds no water at all and got all frozen when damp.

1615211459319.png With the bent ears it allows you to loop your rope over the ears and locks you in place so you have your hands free while you hang in place on the rope. Yon can take your other steps off while you descend the tree.

I use an ATC with and autoblock for that.

I’m also getting a Safegaurd.

Lots of ways to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh. I’m not going to question anyone’s way. I only know the 2 methods I use.

I’m aware of the figure 8’s but that’s all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never took you comment as questioning my way. I know of the others and think they are better than the one I use. I just had that on hand and didn't feel like buying something better at the time. The auto braking descenders are safer than the figure 8 and if I had not had it I would have purchased an autobraking descender.

Yeah, I finally got old enough to realize that when hunting that kind of weather, the return on investment is low enough to warrant sitting home by the fire.

Back