• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle hunting in Ontario

Leadpipefill

Hi all,
New to the forums, just wondering where someone in Ontario could get a hold of a saddle or try one out.
I find us in Canada get hunting stuff years after the US.

Thanks,

Hi all,
New to the forums, just wondering where someone in Ontario could get a hold of a saddle or try one out.
I find us in Canada get hunting stuff years after the US.

Thanks,

I am in Ontario. Several other here too. Where are you from

We have guys all over Ontario

I am from Huron County
Other are near Newmarket Hamilton Ottawa Kincardine Coburg
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am in Ontario. Several other here too. Where are you from

We have guys all over Ontario

I am from Huron County
Other are near Newmarket Hamilton Ottawa Kincardine Coburg
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
I'm around London, Elgin county.
Are all of you ordering the saddles from the US?

Yep. I ordered all my stuff from Tethrd when it first came out last year. Being a Saddle hunter in Canada isn’t cheap with the difference in our dollar and customs fees. It’s worth it for me.

Yep. I ordered all my stuff from Tethrd when it first came out last year. Being a Saddle hunter in Canada isn’t cheap with the difference in our dollar and customs fees. It’s worth it for me.
I was under the impression that if it's made in the US then you don't pay duty. Just tax

Sometimes you pay both Handling fees and gst. No duty. Sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
It’s as reasonable as a good hang on or climber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m in Ontario. I made a saddle with a battle belt and wear a rock climbing harness. I haven’t tried it yet but I have made a fleece saddle (google it. SUPER easy and cheap!!!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My $210 USD rifle stock cost me $500 CDN in the door!

I’m in Ontario. I made a saddle with a battle belt and wear a rock climbing harness. I haven’t tried it yet but I have made a fleece saddle (google it. SUPER easy and cheap!!!)

I don't know if my wife would like me making a homemade saddle. If it's anything like my tilework in the bathroom reno, I'll be hanged by the morning.

I don't know if my wife would like me making a homemade saddle. If it's anything like my tilework in the bathroom reno, I'll be hanged by the morning.

Go get yourself either a rock climbing harness or better yet a low end arborists harness. This is the safety part of your system. Mine cost $50 for the RCH. If you have a standard full body tree harness that can work too.

Then as long as you are connected to the harness your safe and whatever ass sling you make is for comfort.

I haven’t tried it but I made a fleece saddle. If you use amsteel for the bridge it will cost $10 for 25’ (I got mine from https://hofmanoutdoorgearsupply.ca/) and they were awesome to work with.

This is a great thread because us Canucks have unique challenges getting into saddle hunting.

It’s my first season and I’ve made a couple (inexpensive) mistakes. If I was to start over I would have gone to an arborist supply store and got rope for tree work and an arborist harness instead of going to MEC.

For the rope: I ran into a guy working at MEC Barrie and he told me he does tree work. He explained that arborist rope is designed with most of the strength in the core and the sheath is more resistant to damage from the tree bark. Climbing rope has the strength split more between the core and sheath and becomes weaker as it gets damaged.

For the harness: I think I could have got an arborist harness for under $200. A RCH doesn’t have lineman loops so I’ve improved (with safety in mind). An arborist harness has these and is designed to sit in more comfortably.

My plan at this point is to watch my rope and maybe replace it next season. In the mean time I’m probably going to save my pennies and drop the $500 or so on a harness and platform imported from the US next year.

Now my wife has relatives down there and there’s a chance we might take a road trip and if we do then my personal allowance would cover bringing them back so that’s an option for next year too.

Hey neighbors, I'm from Quebec and new to this site. I found out about this method of hunting just recently from G2 outdoors YouTube channel (which lead to all the available saddle hunting videos out there). I am glad to see I'm not the only "Canuck" on here. I found this inexpensive climbing harness on Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00J0W4Y92/?coliid=I113FLJ7F0Y0KT&colid=2J86BC4LC7N1E&psc=1
which I might go ahead and order and give a shot at a DIY version of a saddle and give it a try. Will make sure to have a safe way to tie on to the tree and either make or get a good tether with double hook ups.

I think I will really like this forum. If any of you "Canucks" on here found a good place or online store to get climbing stuff (ropes, etc.) please share.

This is a great thread because us Canucks have unique challenges getting into saddle hunting.

It’s my first season and I’ve made a couple (inexpensive) mistakes. If I was to start over I would have gone to an arborist supply store and got rope for tree work and an arborist harness instead of going to MEC.

For the rope: I ran into a guy working at MEC Barrie and he told me he does tree work. He explained that arborist rope is designed with most of the strength in the core and the sheath is more resistant to damage from the tree bark. Climbing rope has the strength split more between the core and sheath and becomes weaker as it gets damaged.

For the harness: I think I could have got an arborist harness for under $200. A RCH doesn’t have lineman loops so I’ve improved (with safety in mind). An arborist harness has these and is designed to sit in more comfortably.

My plan at this point is to watch my rope and maybe replace it next season. In the mean time I’m probably going to save my pennies and drop the $500 or so on a harness and platform imported from the US next year.

Now my wife has relatives down there and there’s a chance we might take a road trip and if we do then my personal allowance would cover bringing them back so that’s an option for next year too.

I have a few ladder stands I hunt from and probably will do for the remainder of the year. I'll start saving my pennies for next year getting a saddle set up as well. It might be worth shipping to a P.O. box over the border and just picking it up there. Seeing it's free shipping to the continental US for most companies but about $30-50 USD for over the border.

I think most of us that have taken a less expensive route have upgraded.

If you want to go a less expensive route such as a fleece saddlebacks by all means do it. Just make sure you don’t skimp on safety.

Back