• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Hunting Packs

SChunter

Probably has already been addressed somewhere else but I am curious to know what combination y’all have created to use as a quick light weight mobile hunting system. Over the past 4 years of saddle hunting I think I finally found what I think to be the best setup.....for me anyway. I can walk up to a tree and go to work without removing a backpack and unpacking gear and be tethered in on my platform easily in under 7 and a half minutes.

I use 3 wild edge steps held by a home-made kydex holster silenced by stealth strips, an alps little bear fanny pack for my gear, a home made knaider/Swaider (home made knaider/swaider is for testing in my yard, I plan on buying one for hunting purposes) and an XOP platform. I can easily get 20 ft by using an extra Amsteel aider on the first step that allows me to set that step as high as I can reach.

I ran a piece of 550 cord between my shoulder blades on the shoulder straps of my alps fanny pack and put a clip on my platform. This allows me quick easy access to my platform without taking off my pack when I get to hunting height. My knaider/swaider are in a dump pouch on my saddle along with my tether. The WE steps are in my holster attached to my fanny pack waist belt. The alps fanny pack has accessory clips on the waist belt in front of the pouches that allow me to slide that holster to the right over my hip and clip it in to keep it stable and out of my way if I were to have to draw/shoot while walking. The clip on the opposite side holds my limb saw for easy/quick access. I wear my saddle in and have my tether and linesman’s belt over my shoulder.

Again, I have been looking for a system that is not only light, but quick and user friendly....would like to know if there is anything better??

I have a similar setup but using LW sticks. Walk up to the tree & start climbing. Depending on the tree would dictate time but 5-10 is reasonable for a clean tree.

It has taken me 7 minutes to hang one WE on a pine before!!!! I’m just not an efficient WE hanger.

Attachments

• A48FF181-BFF1-4499-8073-0A79B2BA01FF.jpeg
    A48FF181-BFF1-4499-8073-0A79B2BA01FF.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 137
The first tree I ever tried my WE steps on was a pine and I almost sent the back! I walked over to a sweet gum and got it figured out.
After some practice I got efficient with them and can now put them on any tree I want.

I like climbing with sticks but hate how bulky they are to carry.

Nice mods on the LW’s. Is that a double step on just the tops? How far did you cut them down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back