• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle recommendation for tall guys

CajunSlinger

SH Member
Been researching for a new saddle since the season ended. Narrowed it down to a couple choices but would like to get a few thoughts before I make the plunge.

This past season was my first using a saddle. Bought the hawk saddle with helium sticks and loved everything about saddle hunting. Only drawback was hip pinch on multiple occasions. I enjoy long hunts so that was a problem for me. I’m 6’5” tall and around 230lbs.

Any taller hunters out there have any feedback to share that’ll help my final decision?

Been researching for a new saddle since the season ended. Narrowed it down to a couple choices but would like to get a few thoughts before I make the plunge.

This past season was my first using a saddle. Bought the hawk saddle with helium sticks and loved everything about saddle hunting. Only drawback was hip pinch on multiple occasions. I enjoy long hunts so that was a problem for me. I’m 6’5” tall and around 230lbs.

Any taller hunters out there have any feedback to share that’ll help my final decision?
I don’t think that you need a height specific saddle. I’m 6’6” & it’s more how it fits your waist & hips then tether/bridge geometry that’s really important.

The @JX3 is the only commercial saddle I know that should eliminate hip pinch. I'm sure a few JX3 owners will give more details.

This does it for me.

Yeah, I am 6'3". The saddle only worries about how big your waist area is. Hip pinch has more to do with tether length and height on the tree like Bigterp said. I keep my hitch about chin to eye height, but other guys like it higher. Just mess around with it next time in the tree. As far as saddles go..... TX5.

I’m 6’5” 220lbs. I don’t like hip pinch, and don’t like wearing knee pads and having to sit with my knees together. I do long sits as well and the JX 3 Hybrid has been one of the best hunting purchases I have made.

Yeah, I am 6'3". The saddle only worries about how big your waist area is. Hip pinch has more to do with tether length and height on the tree like Bigterp said. I keep my hitch about chin to eye height, but other guys like it higher. Just mess around with it next time in the tree. As far as saddles go..... TX5.

Is that what Bigterp said?

I am your exact size to the pound and I run a size two CRÜZR XC and it is awesome.

Didn’t mean to sidestep a recommendation, but point out you can get comfortable in slot of thing that fit properly & hookups are correctly adjusted for your height. No real one size fits all..... I go between my Kite, TX5 & Jx3 depending on situation.

No worries, every bit of info helps. Narrowing it down to CruzerXC and TX5 at the moment. Definitely not in a hurry so I’ll keep researching and pull the plug when I’m ready. Diving into the one sticking side of things so wanna play with that before I buy a saddle.

Thanks for the suggestions.

No worries, every bit of info helps. Narrowing it down to CruzerXC and TX5 at the moment. Definitely not in a hurry so I’ll keep researching and pull the plug when I’m ready. Diving into the one sticking side of things so wanna play with that before I buy a saddle.

Thanks for the suggestions.
If you’re onesticking , you need to factor your saddle choice carefully not all are comfortable to hang in with no foot placement......

Come to the light, the JX3 tree saddle light..............
Don't be afraid, you will sit from dark to dark very comfortably, be able to snooze when you want, no dreaded hip pinch, no back aches, you can shoot 360° around the tree.
No platform required, only a ROS, no sore feet, no knee pads required, no sore knees, built in pack frame for carrying all your needs. Buy once, cry once.
Come to the light, the JX3 light...........

Back