• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle Safety

DropTine

New to saddle hunting. Let me start by saying amazing. Waiting on the Mantis to arrive. First question... does anyone use a secondary tree strap in case primary fails. Military man thinking contingency plan. Thanks

No on the secondary treestrap/tether, but many leave their linemans belt connected as a secondary connection to the tree.

i do - just made a simple short tether and clip my linemans belt to it and keep it slack . did not hinder turning to either side. ignore the black strap (something else)IMG_0354.jpg

Gregg,
You say it didnt restrict movement in any way? Could get around to the other side of tree?

I don’t use a secondary tether but wouldn’t blame someone that did. People rappell from150’ cliffs using some of the same gear we use. If you secondary the tether you need a backup for the bridge. Then a backup for the saddle itself. Once you have all of that covered there’s always the chance the tree will fall. I would focus more on learning your knots and inspecting your gear. Then be proactive and keep slack out of your system and don’t climb above your linesmans rope when climbing. Hook your tether up before moving from climbing sticks to platform. I have no knowledge of someone falling out of a modern commercially made saddle.

I leave my linesman rope around the tree and completely loosen it. That way I can pivot around the tree, stand up and down and it never gets in the way. It is at least there if something goes wrong.
I’m not so much worried about my equipment failing as I am the possibility of me attaching something wrong in the heat of the moment or just because I’m fatigued or just not thinking. Things can go wrong and its usually the drivers fault.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yes - i kept it with about 6 inches of slack. pic was taken when i first hooked it up(looks tight). my thought were a conventional treestand was first line of defense against fall and harness was 2nd so why not have two here also. not much weight or bulk involved. just play with tether length. this is a good size tree i was in.

Thanks again. Not sure if I will use one or not yet. Just wanted to throw it out there for some feedback.

Thanks again. Not sure if I will use one or not yet. Just wanted to throw it out there for some feedback.
You're absolutely doing the right thing gathering information and forming your own method based on personal risk tolerance.

Hunters coming from traditional stands are used to redundancy in the form of a harness. I don't think that's a bad thing. But a session or two of practicing at ground level when I started this mess made me realize that falling out of a saddle wasn't a possibility. Try it yourself. You can't simulate a fall, just a swing.

Also, saddles and saddle gear are MUCH stronger than conventional stands. You could take the webbing and ropes we use, hook them up to a tree stand, and use it to rip the thing apart! My tree will come down before my ropes fail.

Look at the Tethrd testing results. Cast platform failed at hundreds of pounds. Saddle didn't fail at thousands.

Under normal use and properly set up, a tether will not fail. Proper maintenance and periodic inspection/replacement make it the absolute safest way to hunt elevated. Buy good equipment from reputable dealers, replace it when it wears out, and enjoy the view up there.

Thanks for the feedback. I am of the mind set that this is by far safer then a conventional stand. I am typically tied off with lanyard/harness but have hunted without (stupid). People are most likely to fall transitioning from ladder to stand or stand to ladder. I am a safety professional by trade. See and deal with fall protection a lot. Work with high angle rope access crews to help them plan their daily work also. The equipment is sound.

I have my Rick climbing harness attached to the main tether and clip the saddle in at climbing height to a second biner and loosen slack from the rock climbing harness. If the saddle fails then the rock climbing harness catches at a very short distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, the odds of properly rated carabiners and rope failing are low enough that they don't justify a contingency plan.

In the words of a wise man, "A bluebird may fly out my @$$ and peck my eyes out, but I'm not wearing safety goggles."

YMMV

LOL I love that. I feel the same way. I use climbing rated gear that I feel completely safe in, so no back for me. When I first started saddle hunting I was more worried but after a few years that fear is gone. I think it's good to be cautious while gaining confidence in the system though.

This is a good thread
I’m new here too so I think I’ll just leave my lineman’s belt on with a bunch of slack just as a backup for my first year as a novice

If you guys read my posts you will know I am a big supporter of being extra safe and cautious. That being said, if used correctly I don't think there is any reason to have a backup to your primary. We are using life safety rated equipment that is used by professionals every day. Little things such as a prussic to back up a ropeman and a figure 8 on the end of your tether clipped into your biner are easy things to do for redundancy IMO.

My biggest worry has always been a razor sharp broadhead accidently slicing my tether while swinging my bow over the tether going from strong side to weak side and vice versa. I don't back up my tether but I try to use a lot of situational awareness as to where my broadhead is.

I found this belay on MIL-SPEC MONKEY.COM but you could also just put a caribiner on your belt. The tail of your tether is there already so if it makes you more comfortable you can put a prussic rope or similar on the end and hook up.
Forgot to add that this works for doing the Cain method of climbing also, better than wearing a riggers belt.

My biggest worry has always been a razor sharp broadhead accidently slicing my tether while swinging my bow over the tether going from strong side to weak side and vice versa. I don't back up my tether but I try to use a lot of situational awareness as to where my broadhead is.

To test this, try taking a broadhead and cutting Samson Predator or even Amsteel blue with one swipe. I know cutting both with a knife is a PITA - I'm not worried about slicing a rope. I don't even know how I could get in a position to do so unless I'm less of a monkey than most. My broadhead is usually facing away from my tether.

Last edited:
Back