• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle scent control

Wilgabeast

I have a very strict scent control regiment and have a full scent lok wardrobe down to my back pack and everything . This is my first year hunting out of a saddle . I’m confident I’m as scent free as humanly possible when I’m changed into my scent lok after my walk in.. my question is what’s the best way to keep your saddle scent free ? Do you guys hand wash them often ? Or do you treat them with ozone ? How do you guys keep them scent free

Yea but he also has 3 or 4 saddles so if he washes one and it takes 2 days to dry he has another to hunt from . My method 2 will
Probably take a day or two to fully dry

I have an nfuse ozone sprayer I spray mine down with after every hunt. I also keep my saddle in a scent free bag and run 15 minutes of ozone in the bag if my saddle is going to sit for awhile. Honestly tho it’s probably impossible or improbable to keep all odors out.

Spray with scent killer each time i hunt. This is only my 2nd yr in the saddle, so still learning on the fly from you fine folks.

I wouldn't expose life support to ozone. Not sure if the ozone water thing is a big deal, but if it works it is because it is oxidizing scent molecules. I'm also curious about how all the "secret enzymes" in those soaps work on materials. I know Dead Down Wind can go bad and start to smell.

I wouldn't expose life support to ozone. Not sure if the ozone water thing is a big deal, but if it works it is because it is oxidizing scent molecules. I'm also curious about how all the "secret enzymes" in those soaps work on materials. I know Dead Down Wind can go bad and start to smell.
I have used the ozone bags and closets for a few years. I don’t think it is healthy to be around but I use a little ozone and then hang everything outdoors in fresh air seems to work for me. May help you unless you live next to Burger King. I think deer can spook from too much ozone smell. Less is more.As far as Scentlok clothing, I can still smell flatulence thru the carbon suit so I imagine deer can as well…lol
Luckily deer can’t smell you upwind or we are all in trouble.

I think we just addressed some of this a few weeks ago:

This is what I recommend using:
2 oz in a 5 gallon bucket with cool to like warm water. Hand wash gently then hang your saddle up inside away from the sun with a fan blowing across it until it dries completely. I don’t suggest washing your saddle more than once or twice a season. If you store it in an air tight tote with some activated charcoal filters (sold in the aquarium or cat box area of every Walmart in the country) you won’t have a stinky saddle as long as it’s stored away dry. Another tip I recommend is to throw in a local piece of timber such as pine or cedar or some oak chips…. It’ll give your saddle the natural smell of the surrounding area. I wash mine after a few uses in archery (because it’s 95 degrees outside) and then one more time at the end of season. Otherwise I hang it to dry and store it in the air right tote.

Except I have had the wind blow from 3 different direction during a sit before.

Then you made a very poor choice to hunt that particular spot at the time you did. Unless of course you expected the deer to be coming from that fourth direction.

Either way, there isn’t a thing you’re going to do to prevent a deer from smelling you if it ends up 20 yards downwind of you. So is best to try to prevent that from happening in the first place.

In your scenario, i’d have climbed down and left.

FYI the wind was steady until about an hour or so before dark and I did climb down and leave. I also had a number of deer directly downwind of me the last couple of years that never knew I was there. A couple of them I watched for almost an hour.

FYI the wind was steady until about an hour or so before dark and I did climb down and leave. I also had a number of deer directly downwind of me the last couple of years that never knew I was there. A couple of them I watched for almost an hour.

you should bring milkweed and drop it and see what is going on, if you aren't doing that

usually, your scent is going over their heads when that happens due to thermals or some other uplift caused by topography or some such

you should bring milkweed and drop it and see what is going on, if you aren't doing that

usually, your scent is going over their heads when that happens due to thermals or some other uplift caused by topography or some such

Big fan of milkweed. It’s amazing watching those little tufts drift around on currents going here and there and settling someplace completely different than you would have guessed.

My nickle on Scent control.
I would stay away from foods that will cause severe gas and flagulence.
Just one instance of a hard push out could cause severe scent problems
The secretions will cause an ungodly odor and a need for an extreme washout then air dry. Foods that i avoid during heavy hunting times are beans, kraut, mushrooms are just a few that cause my innards to want to play the back side bugle. Lol
I always say
“Do what you gotta do to give you more confidence in whatever youre doing.”
If you need a scent regiment for that so be it.
I did a really extreme scent regiment years ago then did alot of research on a deer’s nose and deer behavior.
Ok now my serious opinion on scent control.
My scent regiment is pretty much non existent since learning all i have.
I keep the wind somehow blowing away from the area I know the deer are hanging out in.
If the deer are downwind of me ( which is super rare) i really need to watch my entry and make sure that wind doesn't hit that area.
If people would just focus more on their entry ways more than worrying about scent , they would most likley have more encounters.
scent control program or none.

My nickle on Scent control.
I would stay away from foods that will cause severe gas and flagulence.
Just one instance of a hard push out could cause severe scent problems
The secretions will cause an ungodly odor and a need for an extreme washout then air dry. Foods that i avoid during heavy hunting times are beans, kraut, mushrooms are just a few that cause my innards to want to play the back side bugle. Lol
I always say
“Do what you gotta do to give you more confidence in whatever youre doing.”
If you need a scent regiment for that so be it.
I did a really extreme scent regiment years ago then did alot of research on a deer’s nose and deer behavior.
Ok now my serious opinion on scent control.
My scent regiment is pretty much non existent since learning all i have.
I keep the wind somehow blowing away from the area I know the deer are hanging out in.
If the deer are downwind of me ( which is super rare) i really need to watch my entry and make sure that wind doesn't hit that area.
If people would just focus more on their entry ways more than worrying about scent , they would most likley have more encounters.
scent control program or none.

I only do the things that I'm going to do anyway, but just do it a bit more scent friendly.

For instance, I shower every morning anyway, so might as well use scent free soap. I use deodorant anyway so might as well use no scent stuff. I wash my clothes anyway, so might as well use no scent stuff. I store my clothes anyway so might as well seal them up in a no scent garbage bag and then in a plastic tote. Other than that, I avoid as much as possible pumping gas or going into restaurants/etc on the way to hunt and I wear crocs to drive in and then put my boots on after i park and then spray them and bottom of pants legs with scent spray.

Easy and might help a bit.

Last edited:
I only do the things that I'm going to do anyway, but just do it a bit more scent friendly.

For instance, I shower every morning anyway, so might as well you scent free soap. I use deodorant anyway so might as well use no scent stuff. I wash my clothes anyway, so might as well use no scent stuff. I store my clothes anyway so might as well seal them up in a no scent garbage bag and then in a plastic tote. Other than that, I avoid as much as possible pumping gas or going into restaurants/etc on the way to hunt and I wear crocs to drive in and then put my boots on after i park and then spray them and bottom of pants legs with scent spray.

I agree

For instance, I shower every morning anyway, so might as well you scent free soap. I use deodorant anyway so might as well use no scent stuff. I wash my clothes anyway, so might as well use no scent stuff. I store my clothes anyway so might as well seal them up in a no scent garbage bag and then in a plastic tote. Other than that, I avoid as much as possible pumping gas or going into restaurants/etc on the way to hunt and I wear crocs to drive in and then put my boots on after i park and then spray them and bottom of pants legs with scent spray.

I agree 100% with what you say. Kind of an all or nothing proposition. Don’t forget to leave your stinky wallet in the truck…ha ha. We just need to get out and hunt and not get too crazy about scent.

Back