• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddle used as Harness for treestands?

wannabehunter

I'm definitely going the saddle route for more mobility next season.

Can I use my saddle as a harness if I want to sit in a lock-on in a permanent spot? Obviously I'd have the tether attached lower than a full harness but is there any other issues I need to consider?

It would be awkward. I'd just use a regular harness in a tree stand. The bridge and tether are in front in a harness. Maybe if you out the bridge behind you. It would ot arrest your fall like a harness. Just use the right tool for the job and be safe.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Functionally it's same concept as a RC harness which I used for many years. The tether in front is no issue at all, I prefer it to rear attachment.

Safety, you need to consider the effects of a fall onto static rope for sure. Do your research, I won't endorse its safe either but I won't say I don't do it.

It is doable but awkward. One option (depending on the stand) is to flip the seat up and face the tree and saddle hunt. Another is to face the tree and straddle the seat. Neither might work if the stand is set up over a trail because now you’re facing the wrong way!

Personally I would attach the tether at waist height while standing and then pass it to my left side so it’s on the bridge at my left hip. Then I’d let slack in until I could sit. That would put the minimum slack in the tether which is what you need for safety.

Try and test it on a stool or hang on at just above ground level and “fall” out of the stand and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Functionally it's same concept as a RC harness which I used for many years. The tether in front is no issue at all, I prefer it to rear attachment.

Safety, you need to consider the effects of a fall onto static rope for sure. Do your research, I won't endorse its safe either but I won't say I don't do it.

Like mentioned above a rock climbing harness works very well in a climber or lock on but I have always used a dynamic rope tether with it rather than a static rope because using a front attachment point and hunting with your back to the tree requires a certain amount of slack in your system. Whether you are hitting the ground or the end of the slack in your system, its not the fall that gets you, its the sudden stop.

I do it sometimes. To me, its just like a Predator only larger.
It allows a greater range of shooting, but just make sure the stand can take side pressure without kicking out.
Always keep tether slack to a minimum.
And maybe I misunderstood, but did someone mention running the bridge around the back of the saddle?
I don't like that idea. It might be difficult to self rescue with the bridge and tether behind you.
Being able to self rescue is mandatory. Look up
"Suspension Trauma" and you will see why.

It allows a greater range of shooting, but just make sure the stand can take side pressure without kicking out.

This is important. It's worth it to use the lower versabutton if applicable or if not simply threading a strap through the base.

And maybe I misunderstood, but did someone mention running the bridge around the back of the saddle?
I don't like that idea. It might be difficult to self rescue with the bridge and tether behind you.

Yeah I didn't catch that the first time, maybe not paracord bridge level, but that's up there in the bad idea realm.

I do it sometimes. To me, its just like a Predator only larger.
Always keep tether slack to a minimum.
Being able to self rescue is mandatory. Look up
"Suspension Trauma" and you will see why.

Well that’s not much different than falling in a regular harness where the connection point is behind you. You would end up hanging with your back to the tree.

In a regular harness because your suspended from around your shoulders you really would be in trouble.

With a RCH or saddle you’d be suspended from the waist and able to lean back and sit.

I’d want to try the behind the back bridge but in retrospect I agree it might be too difficult to self rescue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back