• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddles for ground or low height hunting

tmattson

When you think of hunting from a saddle you vision someone hanging up 15 - 30 feet, looking like they are hanging from a thread.
But have been thinking, this will be great for "ground" hunting, set so when your at a low lean or even sitting your just barely off the ground (your butt off the wet ground or snow). Or maybe just a few feet to get a better view of just sitting on the ground or in a chair, or maybe just above heavy thick brush.
Know there are some that do this, but anyone use their saddle almost exclusively like this?

I probably spend 80% of my time in the woods on the ground now. Of that, probably 10-20% is hanging at ground level.

When I’m rifle hunting this year, the plan is to take a platform, 2 step aider and saddle. I move a lot when I’m rifle hunting and this will get me 6-8 feet up for a little better view

Not almost exclusively but I have one place on my property that set my platform at the base of a tree growing out of the top of a creek bank. Basically my platform is even with the ground but my butt is about 6' in the air with the creek below. This tends to keep my scent in the creek bed and is the only way I can effectively hunt the spot.

Not exclusively by any stretch but I've used a GW quite a few times from the ground. Usually it's when I'm scouting mid-season and find a spot but don't feel like getting up in a tree knowing it probably isn't going to be a long sit. Or on all day hunts where I'm hunting 3 or 4 spots a ground hunt mid day is nice to mix it up a bit. On bad weather days I'm a fan of Hammock Seats instead of a saddle.

They are great for getting your feet off of the cold snowy ground or the crunchy fall leaves

I’ve hunted turkey out of mine at ground level. Beats hauling a chair in.

Sent from d_mobile

One of the advantages for me ground hunting is quick mobility as well as hunting in spots without trees or less than adequate trees to hang from. I think hanging a tether or finding a tree to hang the tether from hinders this mobility. When I'm ground hunting I bring my aluminum kayak chair which is light and quick to move.

I used one stick and set my platform at eye level from the ground on a hunt last week. The tree was about softball size and I just needed a little height to get over the hedge bushes. Worked great! I ended up having 12 deer in front of me at 60 yards. There's no limits to how you can use the saddle I believe. Have fun with it and be safe!

Millennium Tree seat is nice too. Weighs 4 pounds. Buddy of mine shot a doe last year from a hammock seat.

2 instances last season. I hung my platform at 6ish feet. Had a doe come in at about 10 yards and cross my ground scent. I used the base of the tree as a buffer between her and I. She stared my tree down for what seemed like minutes. Then she just wandered off. 2 days later same setup I took young buck from 20 yards away called him in and he never knew I was there. Its all about your cover and your ability to be still when you have to be.

Not almost exclusively but I have one place on my property that set my platform at the base of a tree growing out of the top of a creek bank. Basically my platform is even with the ground but my butt is about 6' in the air with the creek below. This tends to keep my scent in the creek bed and is the only way I can effectively hunt the spot.

Brilliant. I have so many creek spots like this with pinch points on my in-laws farm. Thanks!

Last year I shot a 225 lb boar and I was only 8' off of the ground. The saddle helps you hide from whatever your hunting by letting you stay behind the tree as long as possible

Certainly not exclusively, but at least 33% of the time this season. Either that or my LWHC as a seat. In fact, I did both on one hunt in the mountains. Not too long ago when bear hunting.
I think I prefer to see bear from above, but this one came strolling in about 35-40 yards, presented no shot, but there was something about being tied to a tree at ground level with a 250# bear strolling in...

I think this is a good way to maximize your time in the woods. There are some spots that are just better hunted from the ground. not many, but they're out there.
The JX3, which I was not using, is particularly good for this. It converts to a ground seat fairly easily with practice and certain stick can be used as legs to convert the JX3 to an actual seat. That's pretty cumbersome to work out in the woods, or the dark.
I wish I could figure out a way to put the JX3 bridge on the back panel or something so it could be used as a low tree seat facing away from the tree.
That'll have to be an offseason project.

Back