• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Saddles for one sticking

treefox 1

SH Member
Hi Guys,is there certain saddles that are better for one sticking ? When I use my kestrel it seems to ride up more , I moved my bridge connections all the way down that helps a little is there a better saddle for this?

Interesting question... I have the original kestrel as well, so I am curious if anyone has some info on this.

I have very limited practice one sticking this spring but doing it with my transformer has been great because I can keep the top panel in my lower back and drop the bottom panel way down so it’s like I’m sitting in a swing with a back rest. I’m guessing that most of the 2 panel saddles would be the same.

Method works great. I think any two panel saddle that doesn’t free adjust would work excellent from my experience.

I use a single panel saddle while one sticking and have been for several years now. I wear my saddle pretty low on my hips and sit in it like a playground swing. I find the first move from the ground I sometimes feel like I might tend to slide out sometimes but I think that's due to the setup with my feet on the ground. Once I've made my first tether move and repositioned the saddle I find I don't notice it anymore.

You don't want to use the Mantis as it will try to ride up on you. I now have a Phantom and it feels good to sit in for one stick climbing. I am in the process of ordering everything I need to have a one sticking and rappelling setup.

I have the new CRUZER ARCHON, and it is awesome compared to Mantis , Phantom, Kestrel Flex. Good luck.

I've used a Phantom and it was ok. I've since moved to a Method and it is way better. I think 2 panel saddles are the way to go for 1 sticking.

I gots an order in for the TX5 Custom Gear saddle, have been using my Aerohunter Flex with no problems

I use the Cruzr XC and at first it would ride up a bit. I think it was because I wear my saddle into the woods and have the waist belt pretty tight to hold the weight of my pouches. Now I loosen the belt before I climb and can pull the saddle down further. Seems to have fixed the issue.

Make sure you can sit in it comfortably on the side of a tree which means lower than most people wear.

I tried one-sticking multiple times with my kestrel and was not comfortable with how it rode up when doing so. My DIY 2-panel saddle which is similar to the Transformer fixed that issue completely. Very comfortable 1-sticking with a 2-panel.

I use a single panel saddle while one sticking and have been for several years now. I wear my saddle pretty low on my hips and sit in it like a playground swing. I find the first move from the ground I sometimes feel like I might tend to slide out sometimes but I think that's due to the setup with my feet on the ground. Once I've made my first tether move and repositioned the saddle I find I don't notice it anymore.
This is something I have to try, adjust the saddle before I climb and before I rapple,Thank You.

I use a kestrel as well just use your back band under your legs works really good. I have tried some of the new saddles I like the kestrel better very comfortable for me

Hi Guys,is there certain saddles that are better for one sticking ? When I use my kestrel it seems to ride up more , I moved my bridge connections all the way down that helps a little is there a better saddle for this?

I don’t believe so. You just have to wear them lower so when you sit down your butt gets more of that sling effect. They will all give you that rock climbing feeling in your special area if it’s no cupping correct.

I would imagine 2 panels would be more difficult to manage at least the ones that aren’t held together like the recon or ESS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t believe so. You just have to wear them lower so when you sit down your butt gets more of that sling effect. They will all give you that rock climbing feeling in your special area if it’s no cupping correct.

I would imagine 2 panels would be more difficult to manage at least the ones that aren’t held together like the recon or ESS.

Quite the opposite, 2 panel saddles are more comfortable for 1 sticking. I'm pretty sure most everyone who has tried one would agree.

Quite the opposite, 2 panel saddles are more comfortable for 1 sticking. I'm pretty sure most everyone who has tried one would agree.

My lower panel kept falling down when slack was introduced. I would have to guide it back to where it needed to be or at least verify before sitting. Comfort wise it was just like the other saddles...material under butt.

Bottom line it was not how I wanted to climb a tree. No issue when using the H2.

Basically the group is telling you to buy another saddle, preferably a 2 panels. GOGOGOGO :)
I see you run the Recon while one sticking. I am specifically interested in the Recon for this. Is it tough to manage like iamcorey was saying above? like does it start sagging with slack in the line?

Back