• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Safety - HSS (Rope-Style Tree Strap) as tether or lineman?

Thomahawk337

Hey guys, I'm wondering if you all think it would be safe to use my HSS rope - style tree strap as a tether and lineman belt?

thanks,

Is it the safest option? No, but it would be more safe than the most expensive climbing line tied with a poor knot. So, you have to consider how much risk you're willing to take and gear up accordingly. You could contact the MFG to confirm but I believe it's just a polyester rope with a weight limit not to exceed 300lbs. If you're looking for a budget option, IMO I would recommend purchasing a hank of a quality climbing line and tying your own knots. The cost will be identical, and you will have greater peace of mind.

Agreed. thanks for the input. It's all i have at the moment and i'm having trouble finding rope where i'm located before the season.

I’ve used it for a linesman belt for years. Used correctly I believe it’s safe. I will not speak to its use as a tether, don’t know enough to say.

I personally, would not use it. When it comes to my life and/or possible injury I will always trust material that is rated for actual climbing rope.

I started using one as a tether. They call it a rope style tree strap but it’s functionally a tether. I have since upgraded to actually static ropes and like them better due to the tight weave. But what you have will work.

One thing I would suggest is replacing the Prusik rope they provide. If you have a nearby REI you can pick up some 7-8mm accessory cord, learn to tie a Schwabisch or Distel Hitch and be much happier.

Back