• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Safety Line Rope for Rappelling

reggoh75

I'm not much of a rope expert since I'm fairly new to saddle hunting. (haven't even got my saddle order yet)
Once I get my saddle, I want to start experimenting with 1-sticking and rappelling down.

Question 1: What size and type of rope is the Millennium Safety line made of?
Question 2: Is that type of rope ok for Rappelling from 25'-30'?
Question 3: If not, what size and type of rope is recommended?

Thanks

This is the rope I am talking about. This is the tag end as it was finished from the factory.

8fedc8c45fedd4253c8a195e9406173b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought five HSS safety ropes for my tree stands. 30 feet long and each has a prussic knot with carabiner. I was wondering if they could be used for SRT, or repelling as well.

I could be wrong but I think these ropes are weight rated for 300 lbs. not exactly sure they’re static rope either. I repel down a lot, just for the fun of it. Get some climbing rated rope and a decent ascender. I like my Grigri but there are others. A simple rescue 8 is fine if you learn how to tie off mid descent to remove gear. This is decent rope for srt and repelling

Attachments

• 66773C0F-471D-4806-B49B-1DE9BB95EE9C.png
    66773C0F-471D-4806-B49B-1DE9BB95EE9C.png
    613.7 KB · Views: 57
I wouldn’t do it because I don’t know if the safety lines are made the same way as climbing line. Not worth the hassle when a decent climbing line, intended for use with climbing gear, is relatively inexpensive for the peace of mind.

Things to wonder about:
How abrasion resistant is the rope?
How strong is it? Safety lines only have to work once!
How heat resistant is it when you have descenders rubbing down on it?
How smooth do they pass through descenders?
Might wonder about how hydrophobic it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would find try to avoid the tree stand manufacturers safety lines, I am sure they would be fine and suit your purpose but for the cost it's really easy to get a high quality climbing rope that arborist trust their lives with every day..
Sterling HTP is around a buck a foot is a favorite for many arborist and hunters. I would not want to risk my life on a no name rope or a rope that is labeled for a different purpose... dont skimp on your ropes that is literally the only thing going to keep you in the tree!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The type of rope you get will be dependent on your decent device and method.

Do you want to use a mechanical decender?

Mechanical descenders will have clear instructions on they specific type of rope and size of rope.

My bet is most call for 10-13mm Static Kernmantle Rope

Thank you for all the responses. It was never my intention to use rope not approved for climbing. I wanted to ask because this rope looks similar to some of the ropes I have seen in videos. Wasn't sure if it might be the same type. I will just buy some of the recommended static climbing rope. Planning on using a Black Diamond ATC-XP.

Back