• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

safety with autoblock

mlasko

New one-sticker here....so I have all the goodies to repel and one stick now, but question is how to back up a madrock with the autoblock. I'm a bit confused on location and use. Any help/pics/advice would be appreciated.

I use an autoblock for my figure 8 and will on my ATC thats coming in today...should work the same way.....most are using a french prusik below the rappel device connected to your lineman loop. Im using a standard prusik connected same way. Ive seen some guys using a hitch above the rappel device which im going to try with my ATC....i havent seen anyone do that personally with the madrock...

I'll try and take pics tonight if no one beats me to it. Basically you have your rappel line on the tree. Below that you have whatever device you're using to descend. Below that you have your autoblock, tied onto your rappel line, with a carabiner attaching it to your linemans loop. I'm right handed so I use my right hand at my hip to tend the autoblock as my left hand is on my safeguard.

New one-sticker here....so I have all the goodies to repel and one stick now, but question is how to back up a madrock with the autoblock. I'm a bit confused on location and use. Any help/pics/advice would be appreciated.
I would hook your auto block on at ground level before ascending.
Slide it up as you go. It will back you up on your rappel rope for safety if your 1 sticking. Make sure to constantly take the slack out of your rope. My 2 cents.

I would hook your auto block on at ground level before ascending.
Slide it up as you go. It will back you up on your rappel rope for safety if your 1 sticking. Make sure to constantly take the slack out of your rope. My 2 cents.
If you're only using one rope from start to finish

OK....I can see the location for it now....so my next question is I believe you need two hands when rappeling with the madrock? How can I tend the autoblock while at the same time using two hands for the madrock? Sorry if these are rudimentary but I've reached the age of taking zero chances with safety. I've managed to survive this long (by the grace of God), so I've learned lol....

The autoblock will tend the rope coming out of the madrock so you can completely open the madrock with one hand and slowly push down on the top of the autoblock to release and descend.

Ill try to find the video...it was a one sticking video and wasnt specific to using his madrock with an autoblock but he was using it that way.....i dont use a madrock so i cant say 100% but from what i saw he was able to just hold down that lever and keep it unlocked basically and the autoblock holds until you then start pushing down on the prusik.

OK....I can see the location for it now....so my next question is I believe you need two hands when rappeling with the madrock? How can I tend the autoblock while at the same time using two hands for the madrock? Sorry if these are rudimentary but I've reached the age of taking zero chances with safety. I've managed to survive this long (by the grace of God), so I've learned lol....
Just 1 hand on the lever of the madrock, 1 hand on your autoblock. If slack is out of the line between your madrock and autoblock, even with the lever pried open, you won't move (if your autoblock is set up correct). Slowly applying pressure to your autoblock and allowing line to feed through it while you have the lever open on the madrock is what will allow you to descend. If you go to fast, release pressure/let go of your autoblock.

Let's clarify: The Madrock safeguard requires one hand on the handle and one hand on the tail end of the rope, down by your hip. Your non-madrock hand will be what ultimately controls your descent as it feeds the rope into the device. Using two hands on the madrock with nothing controlling the tail end of the rope near your hip, will be extremely dangerous.

There have been many discussions on this site about the pros & cons of backing up a Madrock Safeguard with an auto block friction hitch. You should use the search function to read up on the topic. I think it's important to be aware of the manufacturer's warning in the the paperwork that comes with the device. You can read up on that here and make your own informed decision after thorough consideration of your options for your setup:

There have been many discussions on this site about the pros & cons of backing up a Madrock Safeguard with an auto block friction hitch. You should use the search function to read up on the topic. I think it's important to be aware of the manufacturer's warning in the the paperwork that comes with the device. You can read up on that here and make your own informed decision after thorough consideration of your options for your setup:

One more time for the people in the back teaching people to rappel incorrectly!!!!
This is why I suggest a long schwabisch over the belay not an autoblock or friction hitch on the brake side of the rope!!!

One more time for the people in the back teaching people to rappel incorrectly!!!!
This is why I suggest a long schwabisch over the belay not an autoblock or friction hitch on the brake side of the rope!!!

fully admit to being unaware of the madrocks specs as i dont use...given that warning i would def advise against it for safety reasons. Feel free to make a judgment call as it is done but at your own risk....

fully admit to being unaware of the madrocks specs as i dont use...given that warning i would def advise against it for safety reasons. Feel free to make a judgment call as it is done but at your own risk....
I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to you tube influencers who constantly regurgitate other you tubers info without researching to find out if that info was even correct to begin with. With all the safety talk lately, I am glad people ask questions. But I also wish more qualified climbers would speak up with accurate techniques and information. The goal is for us all to be safer. When I have questions involving my climbing methods, the materials I use ect I don’t go to the internet for techniques. Instead I find I use Google to find manufacturers, 3rd party testing sites, or certified climbers. I contact them and ask them for the advice and info. You’d be surprised just how helpful a local licensed tree surgeon would be if you met up, bought him lunch and asked him about his climbing methods. Some federal park rangers are certified rope rescue or climbing. Some firefighters. There are so many places to get reliable accurate information. It just takes patience and doing some research as opposed to an 8 minute you tube video that might be incorrect

I wasn’t referring to you, I was referring to you tube influencers who constantly regurgitate other you tubers info without researching to find out if that info was even correct to begin with. With all the safety talk lately, I am glad people ask questions. But I also wish more qualified climbers would speak up with accurate techniques and information. The goal is for us all to be safer. When I have questions involving my climbing methods, the materials I use ect I don’t go to the internet for techniques. Instead I find I use Google to find manufacturers, 3rd party testing sites, or certified climbers. I contact them and ask them for the advice and info. You’d be surprised just how helpful a local licensed tree surgeon would be if you met up, bought him lunch and asked him about his climbing methods. Some federal park rangers are certified rope rescue or climbing. Some firefighters. There are so many places to get reliable accurate information. It just takes patience and doing some research as opposed to an 8 minute you tube video that might be incorrect

all good, i knew you werent bashing, i just felt the need to make that statement after seeing that safety warning. I myself wouldnt want to be the reason someone goes out and tries something that gets them hurt. Safety should be the priority for all of us here and i agree with you 100%

Mlasko- I sincerely apologize for giving you misinformation regarding autoblocking 1 stick rapelling. Trying to help…never my intention to misguide. I’ll stay on the sidelines going forward. Best of luck and stay safe.

Back